Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a new block and build a new bottom end. I was thinking of going with the Jun VQ 3.8L stroker kit. I will make your 3.5L to a 3.8L buy extending the stroke 6mm extra. The block has to be processed in order for the connecting rods not to hit the inner wall of the block on a long stroke. Do you guys think this is something good to do with a F.I. motor? Also dose the ECU have to be reconfigured for this Mod?

Specs. For kit.
*Bore x Stroke: 95.7mm x 87.4mm
*New Stronger Crank extending 6mm more
*New I-beam connecting rods
*New Pistons and bore size is incresed by 0.2mm

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
In all seriousness,any built motor with FI is going to need some form of engine management above and beyond the factory ECM's limits. Doing this type of MOD is a big ticked item and will cost you tons of $$$$ to do everthing you need to do properly.Were talking in the $50-60K range for it done right...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I would not get the JUN kit if you want to go with a stroker kit. BTW, if all you want is 3.8 ... you can get other parts (such as Darton sleeves and bore them out) and achieve that for much less.

Bottom line, pistons, sleeves, and rods would achieve the same thing, just without changing the crank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then... I guess ill just stick with what i was going to do. CP pistons and crower rods on a stock crank. My other question is i am going to be purchasing my block in the next week or 2. If i am going with cp pistons that are a 95.5mm bore, Will my block need any machine work done? Im belive that is the stock bore size for the block.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Well then... I guess ill just stick with what i was going to do. CP pistons and crower rods on a stock crank. My other question is i am going to be purchasing my block in the next week or 2. If i am going with cp pistons that are a 95.5mm bore, Will my block need any machine work done? Im belive that is the stock bore size for the block.
I'm not sure, but I recommend getting .020 overbore pistons just to be safe on the clearance (have your machinist slightly bore the block).

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
not sure where to begin here..

you def. want to bore each cylinder for each piston. It's a custom process. Hopefully you have a shop that has been doing this for a while.. and you don't have to worry about the machining process at all.

If I were to get a stroker kit, I'd be sure to get a stroker crank.. a true stroker kit increases STROKE. Not just bore size. and some different rods.

JUN or AEBS would be fine for a stroker FI project.
http://www.intensepower.com/aevqstkit35.html
^^^ gives you an idea on price. You're talking $20k when it's all said and done.. EASY! (turbo kit, fuel, ems, tuning)

Like Julian (daking) said.. you would want full ems to run the show. Not worth it to do all that trouble and then not do the ems (ecu).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your just doing new rods and pistons with the aps kit. will the aps engine management be fine for for the new rods and pistons.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If your just doing new rods and pistons with the aps kit. will the aps engine management be fine for for the new rods and pistons.
Yes.

I still recommend getting a TurboXS UTEC piggyback, no matter what turbo kit you choose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See i want to do something like that. But The fact that i live in utah dose not help. There are very few shops out here for anything. Also seeing a Z drive down the road is like seeing a lambo or something. No one has them here really. So me getting a new system, stand alone or piggy back, and having someone tune it around here probally wont happen. I would be willing to drive and get my car tuned but the elevation factor comes into role then. I live at a 5,000 ft elevation.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
+1

Sounds like a winter project for some of us. Just from reading what the others have said, I wouldn't want to go to the 3.8L anyway. There has to be a better and more efficient way to spend the money to make the Z a beast.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
that is some serious stuff in here.
50-60k to get the job done?!?!
might as well get an M3 or a Corvette
thats just way too much money

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
+1

Sounds like a winter project for some of us. Just from reading what the others have said, I wouldn't want to go to the 3.8L anyway. There has to be a better and more efficient way to spend the money to make the Z a beast.
LOL. i was saying wow from an entirely different position. :) The first couple replies he got were a mixed bunch.

I would love to see what a 4.3 liter TT does in the Z. Can you say "torquey monster". Or as Ayman would say, "that is some ****"...

It all depends on what you are after. I think the jump from 3.5 to 4.3 liters would be very interesting. Let alone adding any sort of FI to that mixture.

Most of the stroker kits I've seen were always for four cylinders... You would notice the difference on a 2.0 > 2.2 liter bump on a stroker.. Esp if it was turbocharged.. It gave you a little more torque early on.. and depending on how high you like to rev.. it didn't really hurt the curve.

But this is 3.5 > 4.3 liters. That is a very significant difference. I would love to sit in 4.3 liters before a 3.5 liter tt. The TT would be ultimately faster, due to the TT.. but, the 4.3 would be Much much much more rare. And a different feel indeed.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
yeah chris was just trying to add an extra easy post to his arsenal

:)

lol.. no.... I wasn't going to reply to the thread b/c it was starting to get wild. I was being reserved. But that didn't last long because I'm bored.. SOOO.. I had to reply more..

And you know I don't edit unless it's immediately after the post. Otherwise.. I'd rather be a ***** and start a new reply. Easier to read you know... :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts