Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hhaha yeh, the horse makes good lemonade as well

Think ill do the right thing and just order the proper GL5 oil 75-90. Do it right the first time is my motto :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sounds about right Rorii. Go with the GL5 75w90 for the diff. From what i've read here, Redline MT90 is gl4 and should only go in the gearbox.

For the rear diff, whats the difference between 75w90 and 85w90?
I'm starting to read up on oils. This is what I found on other forums. I would like to hear your experience?

True or false? "85w90 is very hard to find and they are non synthetic"

True or false? "In fact the 75w rating will give better fuel efficiency than the 85w,
that is why more manufacturers are moving to this viscosity
these days as it helps to boost the MPG figures (very slightly)"

True or false? "Synthetic 75W-90 is OK, and should work better than conventional
80W-90 in severe condition and last longer."

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't think you can draw such general conclusions from that because there other engineering factors going on in the diff that the average person doesn't know about and also that there are different diff designs that are affected differently. I would suggest staying with the manufacturer recommendations.

But if you were feeling experimental, a VLSD works by generating friction between the diff plates and diff oil, if you use a thinner oil the effect will be less effective than if you used a thicker oil. A thinner oil will also have naturally less heat-handling capabilities.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i use mobil 1's 5w-50 too. quite smooth and i dont have to change the EO that often. just a question, how often do you guys change your EO, just as a gauge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can anyone tell me the fluid capacity for the following? I can't seem to find it in the logbook.

Gearbox (Manual):
Diff:
Clutch:
Brakes:

Was thinking of going Royal Purple for engine, Redline MT-90 for gbox and diff, and Motul RBF660 for brakes and clutch

Cheers
gearbox: 3.25qt, api gl-4 75-85w
diff: 3qt, api gl-5 80-90w
brake and clutch not specified but too much is better than not enough. a few quarts should do you just fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've noticed some of you guys are using Motul for your transmission, isn't that bad due to being GL-5 and corrosive to yellow metals in the Z boxes? Or is the issue only with Castrol's GL-5 transmission oil?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've noticed some of you guys are using Motul for your transmission, isn't that bad due to being GL-5 and corrosive to yellow metals in the Z boxes? Or is the issue only with Castrol's GL-5 transmission oil?
The Motul gearbox300 and MOTYLGEAR oil is GL4 and GL5 compatible, so not corrosive to yellow metals, should be fine in the Zed box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry I should have been more specific, I meant some of those that are using Motul Gear FF Comp Type 2 on these forums.

edit: never mind, I found out x-speed that did my servicing 3000kms ago had used the wrong gear oil: GEAR FF-LSD TYPE 2 which is GL-5, so I swapped it with Gear 300 75W-90 and all is good. the clunking sound when changing from 1st to 2nd has gone now too! noticed the GEAR FF-LSD TYPE 2 came out really thin compared to Gear 300 even though both are meant to be same weights.

I'd never take my Z to clueless x-speed again, they also charged me for engine oil when I had actually supplied them my own RP, so had to chase a refund on that. going to do DIY servicing from now on :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to say that that I changed to VMX 80 from OEM over the weekend and it has made an awesome difference. I used to experience some clunks and clips when changing from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd. With the VMX 80 in it is smooth as. No clunks but can still feel the sturdiness of the box.

Would highly recommend a change to VMX 80 if you are having some gear clunks or grinds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been reading so many threads out there that say 5w30 instead of 10w40 but most of you guys seem to run 10w40. It's such a cold winter and i'm not sure if 10w40 will really be the right choice. So unsure...

81 - 93 of 93 Posts