Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but i thought it would be a good idea to list maybe the types of engine oil, gearbox oil and brake fluids etc..

The ones that are recommended :) and the ones to stay away from :angry: ..

This would be beneficial to new and not so new members in the future.

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Engine - Elf Excellium 10w-50
Gbox - Redline MT 90
ATS lsd - Motul PA 90

As you can see i don't just use one brand. I perfer to have to go to many different suppliers when changing oil.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cain!

I read previously that a member had tried the redline tranny oil and didnt like it much, He apparently swapped it to a Castrol oil and it returned nicer and smoother gear shifts.

Have you tried different oils Cain? Or have you just stuck to redline from day dot?

·
Registered
421 Posts
first i had nissan oem oil and that sucked

the redline stuff isnt to bad..

but i only had it in for a week b4 i snapped my axle so i havnt really driven it much.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback Cain.

Anyone else care to contribute? Or have you not changed your oils yet?

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (MR RIZK @ Mar 31 2008, 07:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=512312
Cain the G.Box as recomended by redline should be 50/50 mix of MTL and MT 90

I'm using NEO in the diff and don't like it. Going back to Castrol SAF-XA
ah but thats only if your in the colder climates. *ie sub 0*

Where as if its warm all the time they say mt 90 is fine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Also in my 180sx

i run

Mobil 1 5w-50 - Engine oil

Redline lightweight shockproof - This made a major difference in how the gearbox felt

Castrol LSX 85-140 - This made the LSD feel so much better and quieter then what ever was in it before.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!

So it looks like not many people have changed their gearbox oil which i'm quite surprised about.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Royal Purple engine
Redline MTL gearbox. Spoke to Redline and they recommended MTL for the Aussie 350Z so used it in my V35. Asked about the 50/50 with MT-90 and they said no probs with doing it but MTL will be fine.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (SKY350 @ Apr 2 2008, 11:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=512997
Royal Purple engine
Redline MTL gearbox. Spoke to Redline and they recommended MTL for the Aussie 350Z so used it in my V35. Asked about the 50/50 with MT-90 and they said no probs with doing it but MTL will be fine.
And how do you find the Redline oil mate? Better than stock or not that much better than stock?

·
Registered
103 Posts
QUOTE (_ink @ Apr 2 2008, 12:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=513012
And how do you find the Redline oil mate? Better than stock or not that much better than stock?

So far so good. I actually find it pretty similar to stock in my gearbox. It takes a little longer to warm up but I'm talking a couple of extra shifts, nothing that has me concerned. It's only been in there a short while though, but still no worries so far.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
QUOTE (_ink @ Apr 1 2008, 11:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=513042
what do you mean by that? Potenital area for damaged with stock oil? Or aftermarket oil?
Aftermarket. If you do a search within the my350z Australia section you should find some info. Search should look accross the archieve data and bring back the older threads. Not sure if it was dicussed here or not.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Was using Motul 300v 10-40 but having to use Nissan's OEM oil for my oil consumption testing, which is not full synthetic. They seemed to indicate that excess oil consumption issues i was having might have been due to using a full synthetic oil but i'm not too sure about that...

I've had mixed reviews about the redline gearbox oils...most users reckon it helps smooth out shift feel, but a gearbox mechanic i spoke said it tends to mask any issues until they become major issues and recommended a very light oil instead...

·
Registered
889 Posts
QUOTE (mchapman @ Apr 4 2008, 09:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=513614
Aftermarket. If you do a search within the my350z Australia section you should find some info. Search should look accross the archieve data and bring back the older threads. Not sure if it was dicussed here or not.
from memory it was "do not use castrol syntrax 75/90"

1 - 20 of 93 Posts