Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a post on oil pressure I have a 05 Z with 2300 miles on it. at WOT the pressure goes to about 50 p.s.i never higher it used to go to 60 when it idels its at about 10 p.s.i. and on hard turns and stops it goes down to 0 p.s.i. Is my car burning oil this earlier in its life.... Or is this just a fluke I checked the dip stick that is totally useless because its the thin aluminum type that gets oil on it on the way down and up from the engine no matter how much oil you have it always looks full. Any suggestions. Does anyone else have this problem. I am trying to get all the bugs out we are doing a vortech install next week and dont wanna have a oil pressure problem.... Thanks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only way that the oil level can be checked is to let the car sit overnight and check it in the morning, other wise the dip stick will get oil on it as it is pulled out of the engine.

I find this procedure to work very well and have had no problems.

Major

·
Registered
310 Posts
Okay, don't freak out, but you have a serious issue on your hand. Before I get into the possible problem and potential rememdies, lets talk about some basic checks that need to be done. Until you take care of this, DO NOT GO TO WOT OR DO HARD STOPS OR TURNS!!! Likely, you have already done a minor amount of damage.

First, do an oil change and measure the volume of oil that comes out. Then, drive exactly 1000 miles on the new oil. Do another oil change and measure the oil that comes out. When you drain the oil, let it drain for a while. You should always get around 4.5 to 4.75 quarts out. Remember that some is burned and some is trapped in the filter. If you are driving very aggressively, you might get as little as 4.00 - 4.25 quarts. Is this what you are getting on average after only running 1000 miles? If not, then you might have an oil consumption issue. This is rare, but it happens. If you are getting less than 4 quarts out after only 1000 miles, it is certainly time to talk with a dealer. They will likely ask you to repeat these tests, so you might as well document them.

If you are getting the normal amount of oil out after each change, then you don't have a consumption problem, but you still have oil starvation. I have seen this happen to my car at the track. Basically, G-forces exerted during a straight-run, turn, or stop will cause oil to rush away from the oil pick-up. The pick-up comes uncovered and it cannot get any oil. Hence, oil pressure drops. This is an extremely serious condition due to the pressures on the engine at that moment. Our oil pan is slightly baffled to help keep oil near the pick-up, but under certain conditions it is not enough. It sounds as though you are doing some serious driving. Track-style most likely. If you plan to continue this practice, I would recommend two options.

Add about 1/2 quart extra to your engine. This is not enough to cause damage but it will help to stave off starvation. This is only a temporary fix. A permanent fix is to buy and install an aftermarket racing oil pan. They usually have more advanced baffles that can do a much better job of trapping the oil near the pickup.

In any case, driving the car with 0 psi is a huge no-no. If you are under WOT and this occurs, you need to stop immediately.

Good luck and please let us know anything else that would help us get you the best answers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well doesnt look to good barely any oil on the dipstick:-( what sucks is this car only has 2200 miles on it.. not even used yet.. wtf man.. i want nissan to buy this thing back if i gonna have problems...

Originally posted by peptidbond@Jun 30 2005, 02:24 PM
Okay, don't freak out, but you have a serious issue on your hand. Before I get into the possible problem and potential rememdies, lets talk about some basic checks that need to be done. Until you take care of this, DO NOT GO TO WOT OR DO HARD STOPS OR TURNS!!! Likely, you have already done a minor amount of damage.

First, do an oil change and measure the volume of oil that comes out. Then, drive exactly 1000 miles on the new oil. Do another oil change and measure the oil that comes out. When you drain the oil, let it drain for a while. You should always get around 4.5 to 4.75 quarts out. Remember that some is burned and some is trapped in the filter. If you are driving very aggressively, you might get as little as 4.00 - 4.25 quarts. Is this what you are getting on average after only running 1000 miles? If not, then you might have an oil consumption issue. This is rare, but it happens. If you are getting less than 4 quarts out after only 1000 miles, it is certainly time to talk with a dealer. They will likely ask you to repeat these tests, so you might as well document them.

If you are getting the normal amount of oil out after each change, then you don't have a consumption problem, but you still have oil starvation. I have seen this happen to my car at the track. Basically, G-forces exerted during a straight-run, turn, or stop will cause oil to rush away from the oil pick-up. The pick-up comes uncovered and it cannot get any oil. Hence, oil pressure drops. This is an extremely serious condition due to the pressures on the engine at that moment. Our oil pan is slightly baffled to help keep oil near the pick-up, but under certain conditions it is not enough. It sounds as though you are doing some serious driving. Track-style most likely. If you plan to continue this practice, I would recommend two options.

Add about 1/2 quart extra to your engine. This is not enough to cause damage but it will help to stave off starvation. This is only a temporary fix. A permanent fix is to buy and install an aftermarket racing oil pan. They usually have more advanced baffles that can do a much better job of trapping the oil near the pickup.

In any case, driving the car with 0 psi is a huge no-no. If you are under WOT and this occurs, you need to stop immediately.

Good luck and please let us know anything else that would help us get you the best answers.
[snapback]124695[/snapback]​

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally posted by dj karl-r@Jul 1 2005, 10:48 AM
Well doesnt look to good barely any oil on the dipstick:-(  what sucks is this car only has 2200 miles on it.. not even used yet.. wtf man.. i want nissan to buy this thing back if i gonna have problems...
[snapback]125292[/snapback]​

Not so fast. Ignore the dipstick. It is totally, TOTALLY USELESS! I never even take mine out. The only way to truly know how much oil is in the engine is to drain it. Anyhow, you should have done an oil change by now anyhow.

As for break-in period, did you follow the instructions and keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 1200 miles? Tell us anything else you can think of and we might be able to steer you in the perfect direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First oil change is at 3000 miles not 2200.....

Yes i did follow the breakin period also...

Originally posted by peptidbond+Jul 1 2005, 01:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dj karl-r
@Jul 1 2005, 10:48 AM
Well doesnt look to good barely any oil on the dipstick:-(  what sucks is this car only has 2200 miles on it.. not even used yet.. wtf man.. i want nissan to buy this thing back if i gonna have problems...
[snapback]125292[/snapback]​

Not so fast. Ignore the dipstick. It is totally, TOTALLY USELESS! I never even take mine out. The only way to truly know how much oil is in the engine is to drain it. Anyhow, you should have done an oil change by now anyhow.

As for break-in period, did you follow the instructions and keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 1200 miles? Tell us anything else you can think of and we might be able to steer you in the perfect direction.
[snapback]125469[/snapback]​

·
Registered
171 Posts
I actually performed my first oil change at 1000 miles and then at 3000. Just cause I wanted to try to get rid of any metal filings that might have been in the engine from the break in process.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Petibond: thanks for your extended post. Good form. :cheers:

It took time. We appreciate your insights, brother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts