Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone to a different place other than your lovely Nissan service dept to have their oil changed? I am just not into going to Nissan for this as they will keep my Z the whole day, not give me a loaner as promised at purchase, and then maybe not being able to get to my Z that day. I would like to go somewhere local that I can drop off before work and walk here (there are 3 service stations w/ in a block of here). If I document these changes and keep good records and keep receipts, do you think there would be a problem w/ warranty if something happens down the road??? Thanks

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I just bring it to my local Jiffy Lube and I sit in my car while they do it. Takes 5 minutes and they give you a coke to drink while waiting. I dont think that will affect your warranty by going to another place besides Nissan. Just keep all your records and document them.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Oil changes don't affect your warranty. I mean, if that were the case, a lot of car owners would lose some portion of their warranties because they change the oil themselves.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Jun 1 2004, 08:26 PM
Oil changes don't affect your warranty.  I mean, if that were the case, a lot of car owners would lose some portion of their warranties because they change the oil themselves.

Agreed!

I just recently started taking mine to a very reputable place near me instead of doing it myself. Most places that do mainly oil changes do a good job. My experience is similar to Dave's: offered a drink of my choice, although I don't sit in my car while they change the oil, I do sit at the customer window where they have bar stools for that very reason. It takes them about 15 minutes. They check the tires, washer fluid, radiator, and several other little items. I actually think those little oil spots do a much better job than the dealerships.
Anyway jinxy you should be fine. Don't worry!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
And for what it's worth, when I went to my dealer to buy the oil filter and drain plug, they didn't mention anything about voiding a warranty. You think they'd push that to get your business if that were the case.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I haven't had my Z long enough to perform an oil change, but I prefer doing my own anyway. I can't see spending over $30 for someone else to do something I can do in 30 minutes and for a little less $.

Besides, after all the DIY mods you've done on the Z, what's a little itty bitty oil change?

There is an oil changing station 2 blocks from my house, which I've used only once for my family van. They're okay, but they get inside the car with their lovely coveralls stained with dirt and oil. Not in the Z!

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure about it b/c 1. this is my first new car ever and first ever w/ warranty. 2. I read something about warranty and work outside of Nissan and it said you basically have to have a bible of information for them incase you have probs in the future. I probably wouldn't trust Nissan to fix anything that MAY go wrong, seeing how they haven't fixed anything else that was supposed to be TSB or warranty (Bose issue, got blown off, window streaking, blew me off, tire feathering, they tried but it took an accident and a professional body shop/service shop to get the align right on). Thanks for the replys! I find it hard to find time to do it myself (time for mods heck yeah, oil changes? get someone else to do it) but will take advice and seek someone trustworthy out to do it for me.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
But you can use the lift and the air ratchet!!! I would kill to have those. Or at least access to them as the case may be.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Bottom line with warranties: If something breaks, they have to prove that it was your aftermarket part/oil change that caused the problem, otherwise it has to be covered as stated in the warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">I imagine that you will lose your warranty on the oil filter and oil if you don't have Nissan do the oil change.

But maybe it's like the feathering TSB, if you put the original oil and filter back, they'll magically go back to the warranty. </span>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts