Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's about time for me to do my first oil change on my Z and I have a few questions. Based on where we live, what type of oil and filter do you recomend, and how much oil do our cars hold? Do most of you change your own oil, or do you take it somewhere? If you have someone else do it, can you recomend someplace good in the Plano area? Last one, if you do it yourself, how easy is it? I looked for the drain plug today but could not find it, and do I need a crush washer or anything from the dealer before I begin? Thanks for the help.

-jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by JMS350Z@Aug 5 2005, 03:52 PM
Hey guys, it's about time for me to do my first oil change on my Z and I have a few questions. Based on where we live, what type of oil and filter do you recomend, and how much oil do our cars hold? Do most of you change your own oil, or do you take it somewhere? If you have someone else do it, can you recomend someplace good in the Plano area? Last one, if you do it yourself, how easy is it? I looked for the drain plug today but could not find it, and do I need a crush washer or anything from the dealer before I begin? Thanks for the help.

-jason
[snapback]142265[/snapback]​

Just use 10w-30 summer heat tooo hot for 5w you will want oem quality filter and yes you will need crush washer

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
OK, I've done every oil change on my Z with the exception of two (which is why I refuse to let anyone touch it anymore)

She holds 5.5 qts. Use 5w30. Says so in the book.

I use Fram filters. They work fine. Probably better than OEM.

And the crush washer thing.. nah you dont need to change it every single time. Thats a waste. Every 5 oil changes sounds about right (I have 15K miles and havn't changed mine - no problems to date).

To get to the filter, you need to bust out your 10-mil and undo like 5 screws to get the underbody spoiler out of the way. Trust me, don't try to unscrew the filter from that little space nissan leaves you. Besides, you'll get oil friggin everywhere. Just take the plastic down and out of the way, then reinstall.

The drain plug is a 14-mil I believe. Don't overtighten that sucker, the oil pan is expensive.

Any questions, feel free to PM me. G'luck.

-Steve

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by Jetpilot718@Aug 5 2005, 05:39 PM
I use Fram filters.  They work fine.  Probably better than OEM. 

I knew a guy who used a Frame filter once, 10 years later BAM! he got herpes

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I've heard terrible things about Fram filters too. I use 10w30, Purolator PureOne filters, and change every 3k-3.5k miles.

I do all my oil changes my self. The drain plug is 14mm, and I wouldn't worry about replacing the washer every time. Every 5 times sounds about right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the info guys, I assume I'll be able to see the drain plug once I get the plastic piece off, right?

-jason

·
Registered
43 Posts
You haven't mentioned how you plan to raise the car. Assume you have ramps or other device that can deal with low ground clearance.

Do not use Fram filters. They are crap. Purolator premium, Nissan OEM, Mobil 1, or NAPA Gold are good stuff.

Your car takes 5 qts with a filter change. Recommend Mobil 1 5W30. Use a torque wrench to put the drain plug back, 25 ft-lbs will do it.

You'll probably want to use a driver/drill for the machine screws that hold the plastic panel. Otherwise, taking them out by hand gets tired in a hurry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by joe c@Aug 6 2005, 07:35 AM
You haven't mentioned how you plan to raise the car.  Assume you have ramps or other device that can deal with low ground clearance.

Do not use Fram filters.  They are crap.  Purolator premium, Nissan OEM, Mobil 1, or NAPA Gold are good stuff.

Your car takes 5 qts with a filter change.  Recommend Mobil 1 5W30.  Use a torque wrench to put the drain plug back, 25 ft-lbs will do it. 

You'll probably want to use a driver/drill for the machine screws that hold the plastic panel.  Otherwise, taking them out by hand gets tired in a hurry.
[snapback]142499[/snapback]​

joe c-
Can I use the jack which I assunme is with the spare tire to raise the car up, or are ramps a better option?? Oh, and where exactly is the drain plug located, left side, right side??

Thanks-
jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts