Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Option C ... build a midpipe and a muffler...12lbs all in.

Same test pipes (10lbs), same y-pipe (10lbs) aluminum 3.87" mid/muffler(12lbs) = 32lbs

Same test pipes (10lbs), stillen cat back (93lbs) = 103lbs

32lbs - 103lbs = 71lbs net weight savings

-382 lbs - 71 lbs = 453lbs reduced (hoping this puts me under 3000lbs)

·
Super Moderator
1,657 Posts
Nice work on the exhaust. I just hope it lasts longer than my Ti one. After having some specialized welding done to reinforce it, it literally blow apart at High Plains Raceway during a SCCA race. After that, I went with a HD Magnaflow single and still have to check it all the time (usually hardware and hangers) for problems.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Awesome that you are still going with this!
thanks - I'm having fun!

Nice work on the exhaust. I just hope it lasts longer than my Ti one. After having some specialized welding done to reinforce it, it literally blow apart at High Plains Raceway during a SCCA race. After that, I went with a HD Magnaflow single and still have to check it all the time (usually hardware and hangers) for problems.
Thanks - a buddy (who went through Pickens Tech welding program) did the TIG aluminum. Did your ti explode due to the heat/cool cycles?

Got everything buttoned up last night and gave it a start-up and a much different tone than my true dual stillen, louder (which wasnt necessarily my goal) but more of a raw tone.

I'll see about a video...

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
with the larger exhaust the 'M' tunnel brace will need modified...

At the moment I am doing an aluminum replacement that will check into my gt-spec 4 point...sorta excited for this one...OEM is 9lbs and I don't think I'm going to beat that by more more than 2 or 3 lbs at most...but at this point it's a game of ounces...

DK - any OEM-insight on this brace? read-up on a few my 350 z post but doing my best to reverse-engineer this one...

pictures ensuing...

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Had a chance to hit the scale ... 3065 lbs ... was 100lbs too optimistic somewhere along the way

·
Super Moderator
1,657 Posts
with the larger exhaust the 'M' tunnel brace will need modified...

At the moment I am doing an aluminum replacement that will check into my gt-spec 4 point...sorta excited for this one...OEM is 9lbs and I don't think I'm going to beat that by more more than 2 or 3 lbs at most...but at this point it's a game of ounces...

DK - any OEM-insight on this brace? read-up on a few my 350 z post but doing my best to reverse-engineer this one...

pictures ensuing...

I wish I had more insight into the design and construction of this brace, but reverse engineering one will be tricky. Clearly, it adds some significant torsional rigidity to the FM chassis, but how much is unknown. Examining it is a treat- quite lightweight and sophisticated in construction, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I wish I had more insight into the design and construction of this brace, but reverse engineering one will be tricky. Clearly, it adds some significant torsional rigidity to the FM chassis, but how much is unknown. Examining it is a treat- quite lightweight and sophisticated in construction, isn't it?
I'll do my best to keep thread updated on the wear/stresses my replacement experiences...

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
^ my welding buddy and i were able to twist the brace with ease but it's compression and deflection were stout (to say the least) - I would imagine it's compression is most important

I'll keep an eye on my welds...

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
the saga continues...found a unbranded fiberglass / carbon fiber hatch lid...the guy sorta mis-represented it and it was in mediocre shape ... so I offered him $260 for it and he bit on it...would love to dust off the clear coat and have it painted my OEM PP white at some point in time.

My current OEM lid is 74lbs and this one is coming in at 35lbs with OEM glass rumored to be 14lbs...would love to remove the OEM glass and drop in some lexan...

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
^been working on the twin turbos as of late...

a little bit of progress - my mother would be very disappointed but I removed 5 of the 6 airbags (both seats, both curtains, and the passenger side bags) going to see if I can maintain my steering wheel bag...deduction is 14lbs...so I'm down to 3050lbs.

Previous weight removed 453lbs
Round 8 weight removed -14lbs

New weight removed 467lbs

Sorta had a grime reality the other night and I have a feeling that this thread is going to come to an end...

here's the future:
Computer rack -1lb
Wheels -30lbs (-31lbs)
Front Radiator/IC Rack -5lbs (-36lbs)
OEM Cloth Seat/Slider -15lbs (-51lbs)
Coolant Overflow Tank & Hose -3lbs (-54lbs)
CF Front Strut Tower Brace -4lbs(-58lbs)
Fiberglass rear Hatch -65lbs (-123lbs)
Revised Intake Manifold -20lbs (-143lbs)
Misc wiring/accessories -7lbs (-150) ... simply a guess to get to -150lbs

If I'm around 3050 lbs now and I peel off another 150lbs I'll be down to 2900lbs...

sidenote ...

My buddy Lacrosse-Larry (college lacrosse coach / great buddy now) picked up a lotus elise w/a turbo'd K20...puts down 432whp on a 1900lbs chassis...good lord it was fast...We went cruising and neither one of us were able to rev past 4000rpm...between no power steering, no ABS, no traction control it was (and I say this humbling) too scary to drive any faster...I didnt want to be the next Paul Walker...

So sibling rivalry is ~4.5 lbs / 1 whp ... at 2900 lbs I need ~725 to 750whp...like a good older brother he's going to hook me up with that seat for no / minimal cost...dry carbon ... maybe 5 lbs??

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
here's the future:
Computer rack -1lb [DONE]
Wheels -30lbs (-31lbs)
Front Radiator/IC Rack -5lbs (-36lbs)
OEM Cloth Seat/Slider -15lbs (-51lbs)
Coolant Overflow Tank & Hose -3lbs (-54lbs)[DONE]
CF Front Strut Tower Brace -4lbs(-58lbs)
Fiberglass rear Hatch -65lbs (-123lbs)
Revised Intake Manifold -20lbs (-143lbs)
Misc wiring/accessories -7lbs (-150) ... simply a guess to get to -150lbs

If I'm around 3050 lbs now and I peel off another 150lbs I'll be down to 2900lbs...

Post 106 I was around 3065, minus 14lbs (as below) puts me at 3051lbs

Total weight removed is 467lbs through round 8

Round 9
Walmart Battery <41.73lbs>
Positive Post Wiring & Grounding <3.14lbs>
Battery Basket <1.80lbs>
Coolant Overflow Tank <1.40lbs>
Coolant Hose <2.09lbs>
TOTAL REMOVED <50.16lbs> ~<50lbs>

Braille Battery +10.96lbs
Battery Basket +.5lbs
Wiring +.5lbs
TOTAL ADDED +11.96 ~+12lbs

Delta <38lbs>

Round 8 Total <467 lbs> Removed
Round 9 Total <38 lbs>

New Total Removed <505 lbs>
Approximate Vehicle Weight 3013 lbs

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Did some brainstorming (& pipe dreaming) w/a buddy and came up with a few other deductions(cant say these are all going to happen but something to shoot for)

Wheels (Advan RS 19x9 ~45lbs) -64lbs
Radiator Rack -5lbs
Seat & Slider -20lbs
Front Strut Tower Brace -5lbs
Fiberglass Hatch -65lbs
Revised Intake Manifold -15lbs
Lexan sides/rear windows -30lbs
Fuel Cell -40lbs
Interior Wiring/Misc -15lbs
40amp Alternator -8lbs
PS Pump Delete -10lbs

Optimistically that's another 277lbs deducted - could the car get down to 2736lbs??

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Found a set of enkei 18" RPF1s 10.5" wide 15mm offset. Everything fits, front gaps looks good rear gaps look wide. Wheel & tires came in at 44.5lbs each (call it 45lbs).

The TSWs were Front 57lbs / Rear 65lbs - a scary total of 244lbs. The RPF1s come in at 180lbs - weight savings of 64lbs...loving it.

Rounds 1 through 9 <505 lbs>
Approximate Vehicle Weight 3013lbs

Round 10
Lighter wheels <64lbs>
Internal brace +4lbs
Power Steering Pump/Lines/Cooler/Bracket/Fluid Delete -14lbs
total <74lbs>

Total Removed 579lbs
Approximate Vehicle Weight 2940lbs

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Call this round 11 (and I don't know how this is gonna play out) swapping into true coilovers and replaced the OEM alternator with a 40amp/6lbs variant.

The power steering delete and downsized alternator will free up space to the turbo inlet - Greddy has an sass-backwards design with their filter to inlet ... where it goes from 2.75" > 2" > 2.75" > 3" ... so opening up that space will allow me to go to a 3" or a 4" filter to inlet duct.

The numbers:
Eibach Sportlines Rears(L&R) -16.4lbs
Tokico D-Spec Rears(L&R) -10.6lbs
Rear Seats(L&R) -2.5lbs
Eibach & Tokico Fronts(L&R) -30.2lbs (I cant/dont want to weigh these individually as they are bolted together)
OEM Spring Buckets -8.6lbs
OEM Alternator/Hardware/Bracket/Belt -16lbs

Total Deduction -84.3lbs

Lightweight Alternator/Heim Joint/Belt +6lbs
Traction Bars +5.5lbs
Coil Overs F & R +55lbs

Total Adds +66.5

Round 11 Net: 17lbs
Rounds 1 through 11: 596lbs

Total Weight: 2923lbs

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Correction:

my new coils arent 55lbs, they came in at 37.24 => 37.3lbs

The numbers:
Eibach Sportlines Rears(L&R) -16.4lbs
Tokico D-Spec Rears(L&R) -10.6lbs
Rear Seats(L&R) -2.5lbs
Eibach & Tokico Fronts(L&R) -30.2lbs (I cant/dont want to weigh these individually as they are bolted together)
OEM Spring Buckets -8.6lbs
OEM Alternator/Hardware/Bracket/Belt -16lbs

Total Deduction -84.3lbs

Lightweight Alternator/Heim Joint/Belt +6lbs
Traction Bars +5.5lbs
Coil Overs F & R +37.3lbs

Total Adds +48.8

Round 11 Net: -35lbs
Rounds 1 through 11: 614lbs

Total Weight: 2905lbs

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
For the archive ... I know I'm all twisted up with my overall weight as I added water methanol and added a crazy intake I'm going to estimate

Tank +6lbs
Pump +5lbs
Wiring/Misc +10lbs
5 gallons of water/meth +40lbs
subtotal of wmi +61lbs

crazy intake net +20lbs

Net Adds = 81lbs

2905lbs + 81lbs = 2986lbs

101 - 120 of 122 Posts