Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well going to this extreme...you want to make your z a race car..not a sports car..One thing I realized..as we all want to gain more hp....and now you want to gut out the inside of your z....no matter how much we do, there will always be cars on the road much faster than the 350---370z......So minor upgrades to make our z run i little quicker is cool, but we can compete with the big dogs on the road....there will always be a faster car at the red traffic light next to you...FOR A SIMPLE EXAMPLE A CADALIC 4 DOOR CAR...RUNS AT OVER 550 HP STOCK...AND THATS NOT EVEN A SPORTS CAR....LETS NOT MENTION A FEW SPORTS...OR HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS..hummmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I'm not doing this to compete against cadillacs or ferraris around the denver metro area. But if I were and if you'd be so kind to grant me 600whp out of a stage 3 IPP w/the greddy 18g twins(this is fact - I just don't have dyno sheets) then this is how the numbers would fall.

stripped tt z - 3000lbs/600whp = 5lbs / whp
caddy cts v - 4200 lbs / 450whp* = 9.3lbs / whp
ferrari 458 italia - 2900lbs / 397whp* = 7.3 lbs / whp
*deduct 20% for elevation loss (I am in colorado) and drivetrain efficiency losses

so I would feel confident going up against a ctsv or a 458…the pukes that'll get you are in boosted dodge neons or honda civics!!

but that's not really why I doing this…I'm doing this bc this is a project car…it's not a daily driver(never was), it's not a garage queen, it's simply something I can play with, tear-apart, break, fnck-up and rebuild. You could almost say this is a learning-experience. Parts are relatively cheap and easy to get to, information is abundant and in-depth. The assembly is logically and diagnostics are straight forward.

I think you've put me in the wrong bucket …

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Nice update! I've always toyed with the idea of removing the AC system, but that wouldn't make the wife really happy.

Happy wife = happy life ;)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Man, I'd be crying if my Z looked like that. Not that it's a bad thing what you're doing because it has purpose.

My wife would kill me. lol

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I was at -367lbs, deducting another 20bs puts me at -387lbs
Have the door panels off and they are each a touch under 10lbs. For round numbers and I may do a few very minor things further on I am going to use 10lbs per panel assembly.

Round 6: -20lbs - 387lbs = 407lbs

Sweeeeeeettttttt!!!

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
that's awfully ambition -

How did you land on 2730lbs? What are you thinking will be your big take-offs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
3point5, if you documented all of this on to a website, on to a single web page one could scroll through, it would be great.

I hope you finish your weight documentation too. I am sure you have seen this site's wiki on weight reduction:
Weight Reduction Guide - Nissan 350Z & 370Z Wiki

Here's a video of a drifter with a supercharged LS3 pushing "about" 800 hp at "about" 2,800 lbs. Perhaps from the video you can derive some of his work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46wP4PpFgmI#t=2m49s (if an ad shows up, refresh to start at 2m:49s)

My ultimate goal was to drop my 3,339 lb stock weight (2006 MT) down to 3,000 lbs, while keeping my dash and most of the upfront interior. I am heavy compared to the 2003..2004 MT at 3,188 lbs!

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Nah, this is good enough - there are a handful of great weight reduction/weight identification threads between here and the other 350z site...

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
file this one under the 'principal' of weight reduction bc this one aint moving the needle...

I can't tell you how many times I've uninstalled/installed/reinstalled the bracket that props the alternator up. Many many times and every time I've told myself to either core out the OEM or go by a piece of aluminum stock and core the piss out of it.

One could analysis how the belt is placed over the alt pulley and determine vector forces against the OEM bolt and OEM bracket and then determine applied force based on how much the serpentine belt stretches and find/calc a spring constant for the serpentine belt all determine the strength required of the bracket...maybe I'll do that sometime...

OEM Bracket (7.8ounces) - with a single core...that core took 10minutes...

Aluminum stock (1.8 ounces) - 1" wide x 1/4 thick

I didnt have much time tonight but I am most likely going to redo the bracket because it needs to rotate clockwise a few degrees as I have a turbo oil line sitting between the block and alternator that I really think should have more clearance.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
turbos/headers/waste gates +58lbs
Intercooler & duct +38lbs
Radiator +39lbs
Brackets +5lbs
total = +140lbs

Round 5: -507lbs + 140lbs = -367lbs
Call this round 5a...

Its been in the works but needed a radiator fan assembly...

First attempt was frankenstein-fans...was a trip to fabricate and do the electrical work which I throughly enjoyed but in reality it became heavy and I can't speak to the reliability of the fans but good lord it moved quite a bit of air - if I had to guess I would venture to say 6000 cfm.

Second attempt was a single 16" spal fan I sourced off ebay...works well - wired it directly to the OEM connection and tested well - took the car from ~205* to 185* in a few minutes (via the haltech).

OEM Fans <9lbs> (I need to check that I didnt already deduct fans??)
Single Spal Fan +7lbs
Firewall sound dampening material <4lbs>
Extra Coolant due to the larger radiator (assume 1/2 gallon)+ +/-5lbs
Round 5 Total -367 - 1lbs = -368lbs

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
posted this up on the other site - but took about 15pound of asphalt-base sound deadening material out of the car via dry-ice. I think it's a little more than 20lbs but I'm going to round down on this one.

Round 6 removing sound deadening material -15lbs

End of Round 6, Total weight removed is 367lbs - 15lbs = 382lbs

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I love Stillen...I really do...but it dawned on how heavy their exhaust is...My intent to is to with a titanium single, y-pipe and pipes...

The stillen true dual is (along with the wrap, 3 o2 sensors, but no hardware) is 93lbs, my modified test pipes(flex hose added) are 10lbs, 103lbs (good lord!!!)

Option #1 :
I anticipate going with the tomei single ti (13lbs), Y-Pipe(5lbs) and pipes (5 lbs) - I can get in the 25lbs neighborhood...Net 78lb deduction

Option #2 : Keep the test pipe(10lbs), I have a Y pipe from a buddy(10lbs) and the Boosted Performance Aluminum Exhaust (8lbs) - puts me in the 30lb range...net 73lb deduction...

Hypothetically:
Previous weight removed was 382lbs -

Option #1 -382lbs - 78lbs = 460lbs

Options #2 -382lbs - 73lbs = 455lbs

81 - 100 of 122 Posts