Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brakes

I'm looking to replace my front rotors and the OEM rotors have what looks like a counter balance bolted on to the rotor. When replacing rotors is that part needed? The replacement rotors do not have a threaded hole to screw that piece into.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
IIRC, what you're talking about is the bolt that prevents the front rotors from being used as the rear rotors and vice versa. :dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My OEM rotors have what looks like a counter balance or something bolted into the rotor between the lug holes. The aftermarket rotors do not have a sport to screw that bolt into.

Is that bolt needed?

·
Registered
643 Posts
That bolt is not needed. It is there to prevent some unknowing person from putting the back wheels on the front.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
^Don't think so Korner.

That bolt is there to help you remove the rotor. When the rotor is stuck to the hub, you crank the bolt in and it pops the rotor off.

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's there to keep the rear wheels from going on the front of the car. (It also keeps many aftermarket wheels from mounting too.)

It's not needed.

I guess it could be used to help remove the rotor, (If it goes all the way through?) but I would be careful pushing on the hub with it.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
^Don't think so Korner.

That bolt is there to help you remove the rotor. When the rotor is stuck to the hub, you crank the bolt in and it pops the rotor off.
Think I agree with Korner on this one, especially as the rears do not have that bolt. But agree it might assist with that, although mine came off with just a bit of force with a rubber mallet anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's there to keep the rear wheels from going on the front of the car. (It also keeps many aftermarket wheels from mounting too.)

It's not needed.

I guess it could be used to help remove the rotor, (If it goes all the way through?) but I would be careful pushing on the hub with it.
Think I agree with Korner on this one, especially as the rears do not have that bolt. But agree it might assist with that, although mine came off with just a bit of force with a rubber mallet anyway.
I was actually trying to do that ,but I couldn’t because of that bolt , I’m planning on removing it than installing the Rear OEM wheels to the front , is that a bad choice ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts