Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the current cost of petrol, I decided to try a couple of tanks of 87 octane. :doh:

Not a good idea - vis a vie - knocking and pinging and "things of that nature."

Any ideas how we can burn regular?

Thanks - Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Considering the current cost of petrol, I decided to try a couple of tanks of 87 octane. :doh:

Thanks - Bryan

Not to be dumb, but didn't the dealer tell u NEVER us regular?? Or the Vehicle Manual?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts

Thanks - Bryan
Not a good idea in a high compression motor.

Excerpt from "How Stuff Works" ...

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The manual clearly states the octane rating to run in the Z. I figure that's there for a reason. I'm no engineer, but they get paid for some reason. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
To me it seems that the savings of a few dimes a fill up (just estimating) isn't worth pre-ign. your combustion chamber and slowly advancing the demise of the engine.

It's CR is like what 10.5:1 Or so?? that's pretty descent to me and would require at least the sh!tty cali fuels! :)

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
To me it seems that the savings of a few dimes a fill up (just estimating) isn't worth pre-ign. your combustion chamber and slowly advancing the demise of the engine.

It's CR is like what 10.5:1 Or so?? that's pretty descent to me and would require at least the sh!tty cali fuels! :)
I think OE compression is 10:3:1...87 octane will combust at 8:6:1.

If you save $4 per tank and you fill up with 20 gallons every week...that's $208 per year. Not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Makes me wonder...who uses 87 octane? How are you running? (so we know what to expect if you run 87 octane?)

Most Jeeps recommed running there vehicles on lower occtane fuels... their motors are made to run that way... This way you pay less at the pump in a vehicle that uses more fuel. My mom has a liberty and it runs best on 87 anything above that it doesn't seem to like very much.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whew. I knew I should have put my flame suit on after posting this one! :doh:

First - the last car I drove, a Volvo V70, had engine management that adjusted settings based on the fuel put in the tank.

Second - my Nissan service chap said Nissan recommends 91 for "optimum performance," but the car would run just fine on 87.

Third - Since I posted this, I put a half-tank of 89 in and the pinging is no longer an issue. (I can't get 91 - it's either 89 or 93)

Perhaps I'll try a half and half blend of 89 & 93.

By the way - I hauled and delivered gas for 7 years. And - you can never really tell what you're buying (octane or brand-wise). :shiftdrive:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
By the way - I hauled and delivered gas for 7 years. And - you can never really tell what you're buying (octane or brand-wise). :shiftdrive:
You're going to **** for scaring me like that! :lmfao: Don't say like that! :banghead:

I think my gas station has 91 or 92 octane. I feel like my days are numbered now with winter fast approaching. Maybe I'll splurge next week and get 93 before I 'put her away.'

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let me clarify my gas delivery statement!

(and I can only speak for the carrier I drove for - and a few others who hung around the same diner)

Our company would sometimes (at least once a day) over order 87 for a station. We were told to "put the balance in the 89 or 91 tank. The amount would range from a few hundred gallons to maybe 1,000. This - in 10-12,000 gallon tanks.

Now - take it back about me going to ****! :irock:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Let me clarify my gas delivery statement!

(and I can only speak for the carrier I drove for - and a few others who hung around the same diner)

Our company would sometimes (at least once a day) over order 87 for a station. We were told to "put the balance in the 89 or 91 tank. The amount would range from a few hundred gallons to maybe 1,000. This - in 10-12,000 gallon tanks.

Now - take it back about me going to ****! :irock:
:poke:
:rolf2: NO, I won't! That's spine-chilling news you're exposing!

·
Registered
187 Posts

Thanks - Bryan
Hey Bryan. Using Higher octane will give your car better performance. Isn't that why you bought all those mods on your high performance sportscar? In the world paying for your Z, 2-3$ shouldn't break the bank. Pack your lunch for work or have one less cocktail. Treat your baby right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.