Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but have found it extremely helpful with alot of my questions. I'm about to put my order through for a new Z but can't decide on which colour. I've narrowed it down to 2: Black or Pewter.

What do you guys think?

I've always liked black cars but usually in metallic. Is the flat black hard to maintain? Any opinions appreciated especially by those people who have these colours.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Black hands down shows the most dirt and the most swirl marks. It's beautiful when flawless but shows every imperfection in the finish. I don't know which color Pewter is in the states, we have Silverstone and Chrome Silver, silverstone being a darker silver then the chrome silver. The silver cars show the least amount of dirt and will show the least amount of imperfections I think IMO....it's your decision in the end, get the color that you like the most, and keeping it clean will become not a chore but a pleasure! Oh and :welcome:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome dre168!

I was in exactly the same dilemna you are in. I've always liked black cars but was afraid of the black showing marks up so easily. I'd considered the silver as well but decided to go halfway and get the Pewter which I'm absolutely wrapped with. I still drool though whenever I see a black Zed on the road... Good luck and good choice regardless of which way you go!

jinxxycat - Pewter in Oz is exactly the same as your Silverstone.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeah, I love the black, looks awesome when clean, but doesn't stay like that for long. I have the silver (lighter coulor than the pewter) and probably 'looks' like it stays cleaner for longer than my friends black (non-metallic) car.

Take your pick, I doubt in the long run it will make much difference to you.

cheers

PS: welcome!!!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you don't mind cleaning your car every 3 days black is the go!

I wash the car once every 2 weeks and it always looks good. I got silver for that very reason. It's all about knowing yourself...are you a lazy sod or not? :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'm going to go for Pewter. I enjoy keeping my car clean but i think Black will just be too hard (I don't have that much free time on my hands) and I guess I am a bit of a lazy sod.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Look forward to posting more when I get my car. I've got the modding itch already just thinking about it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The "pewter" in Australia is the same as Silverstone in USA. Personally, I think it's a great colour as I think the Chrome silver is a bit too light.

Welcome to the forum, and where abouts are you???

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Black is my favorite color of the current available options...but after owning a black Z32 TT for 13 years...I purchased the Silverstone (pewter) this time. Maintaining the paint is easier, but color matching in the event of an accident or blemish to the non-metal panels is tricky with the Silverstone. This may well be true of any color.

Get the color YOU really want and you'll be satisfied. Enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
No matter how beautiful my car is when it's just been clean, it always looks like crap 4 hours later. I'm a detailing nut and all I see is dirt and swirls, and many other blemishes in my paint. I wish I had gone with something different.

If you like having a clean car, go with something other than black.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome and all the suggestions.

I don't think anything looks quite as awesome as a clean black car but I don't think I'm going to have time to clean it every other day so I'll follow my head and go with the Pewter.

db350Z & Perth 350Z: I'm from Sydney

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome. Great choice of car regardless of what colour.

I have black and, yes it is a bugger to keep clean, but looks great.

Just one thing, the black is not a flat black. It actually has a very slight goldish pearl in it which you can see in sunlight.

When it comes to colours, personal choice.

Good luck with your new wheels.

cheers
coatsie

·
Registered
303 Posts
lol

yes, silver is faster :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't take the performace aspect into consideration but now that you guys pointed that out, you've convinced me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I conquer, silver is fastest. If you look at some of the posts on the old board you'll see that the silver paint job is 0.000001g lighter, it'll improve your power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL...cool so by my calculations that should bring down my ET by at least 0.00000000000001 of a millisecond right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts