Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 326 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
It's called aspect ratio. You want to keep the diameter the same or close to it when you go from one width to another.

So if you had 225/60's, and you wanted to go to 245's, then here's the deal: "The '60' is known as the Aspect Ratio. It is calculated by dividing the section height by the section width and multiplying by 100." Sorry, copy and paste.

Oh, ****, here's a link. http://350zmotoring.com/forums/Wheels_and_Tire.php

Reactions: YrMuthr

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
[/quote]

255/50/17

255 is the width of the tread.
50 is the sidewall height and this number is a percentage of the first. 50% of 255
17 is the rim size.

When your tire starts getting wider, if you still use the same sidewall number your tire gets taller because 50% of a 225 is smaller than 50% of 255. Make since? You want to stay as close to stock radius as possible.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
And new wheels, right? Do it, man. Do it, already!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I need tire advice. for 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 I have the following choice for $800 a set "brand new".. Bridgestone Potenza S03 255/35/20 and 275/30/20 I'll be going with 25 offset front and rear and might lower the car 1 Inch. The question is would I get any rubbing? are 255 upfront too big? gotta take a decision quick cause it's a wicked price won't last.

·
Registered
162 Posts
well. if i would want to transfer my 18" stock tires onto new rims, since i see my rims are 18x7.5 and 18x8 with 114.3 offset 5lug does that mean that i could only get rims with EXACTLY the same specs if i want to change the tiress or is there any leniency with tire widths. such as if i got a set of 4 8inch wide rims or 4 7.5 inch rims would my stock tires fit?

if so what offsets fit

·
Registered
755 Posts
Stock 18" rims come only in 18x8 front and rear. 18x8.5 rear for track pack.

You have 225/45-18 front: max rim width 8.5 lowest is 7 "recommended"
You have 245/45-18 rear: max rim width 9.5 lowest is 8 "recommended"

Stock offset is +30 front and back, depends on the width of the rim, new offset will vary.

Guys.. call me crazy but I measured my 18" rims today and they were 19.5" , tried on another car and found the other one 1.5" more than it's size... whats up with that, I thought diameter should be exactly 18!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
nice. i called up nissan today assking if i got new rims how much would it be to transfer the sensors. they said 220! im like **** so expensive

·
Registered
300 Posts
[/quote]

You are mreasuring the outer edge of the rim lip, not necessarily where the nominal wheel size is measured by (obviously). Strange that yours measures so much larger than the nominal size but it makes sense. I have never measured mine. Interesting but either way the point is moot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What size tire would you guys go with for some 18x9 in the front and 18x10 in the back? this local tire shop has pretty decent prices on the BF Goodrich kdw but the guy would not sell me anything wider than a 245 cause it's going to screw up the car :doh: , which i know isn't true.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The guy is a dope. 245 is the widest that the stock vehicle comes with. It can and does go larger depending on rim width.

For a 9" rim you can go with either 245/45 or 255/40.

For the 10" rim you can go with 275/45 or 285/40.

The KDW tire is a sweet tire BTW. I have been happy with mine so far.

Also know that if you go with 9/10 f/r tire widths you better make sure your offsets are correct. Most aftermarket rims for the Z are 8.5/9.5 but some go as wide as 9/10.5 with no problems. But again, the offsets must be correct for the exact rim width/tire size you are using to fit and have no rub problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks. I am only byuing the tires locally but the wheels i got them online and they are for the Z...I'll post some pics up as soon i as i get them mounted. oh and by the way i just realized i posted in the wrong room, sorry.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
FYI:

350Z Wheels

Standard 17":
Alum Alloy
F-17x7.5
23.259lbs
R-17x8
24.140lbs
Non-Track 18":
Alum Alloy
F-18x8
R-18x8
26.565 lbs
Track 18":
Super-light Alum Alloy
F-18x8
18.188lbs
R-18x8.5
18.629lbs

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah the thread has already been moved.

What wheels are you going with? If they are "for the Z", any reputable dealer or vendor should be able to tell you what tires are recommended for the application. Does not change what I said previously, I am just saying you should be able to find this out easily. Just ask them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have never really been a big fan of Motegi but I liked those new Touge wheels, 18x9 front and 18x10 rear...I am not quite sure what the offset, but they have a 4 inch lip in the rear. Oh yeah, you can see them on there ad in the new sport compact car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guys.. call me crazy but I measured my 18" rims today and they were 19.5"..
Okay Mr. Crazy, you don't know how to measure your rims. Tires and rims are measured on the bead seating surface, so measure the diameter where the tire bead seats. Think about it guys, if rims could be any size the maker wanted but he marked them as 18", how could all 18" tires fit? There are industry standards, you just have to know them. :wavey:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello! I just purchased some new Motegi drift rims for my 04" 350Z. I will have 18" x 9" in the front, and 18" x 10" in the rear. What size tire is best?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Where or who did you order them from? I would check out some online stores who have tire size calculators. Use Tires Plus or Discount Tire. In fact, I think we have a calculator on this site somewhere.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
This depends on what it's for. The taller the sidewall, the less road noise and the softer the ride will be. The shorter the sidewall, the more road noise and the harder the ride will be, but it will handle better. The wider the tire, the worse it will handle, but the more grip you will get; the skinnier the tire the better it will handle, but the less grip you will get. So you want to try to go for a medium if it's only for the street.

21 - 40 of 326 Posts