Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else has done this?

I did it on the car I learnt manual in and couldnt even imagine doing it in anything other than a rental now.

Anyway only done it twice but will offer a brief explanation:

1st thing you need to do is find the amount of pressure where your not forcing it into gear but if it will want to, it will slip in, so minimal amount of pressure, this is probably the hardest part if the car is not a rental, otherwise f-it slam that thing in and see if it goes.

Once you think you have figured out the correct amount of pressure(least amount of pressure needed to put gear in while clutch is depressed), you drive your car along in say 2nd gear at a consistent speed, take note of the revs. So lets say your travelling at 60km/h at 4000rpm for simplicity sake.

Put the car in neutral, now rev the car to 3000rpm and try put it in gear, chances are it wont go, but slowly bring the revs up to as high as about 5000rpm, make sure your still travaling at the same speed. If you are lucky the gear should slot in at some point and you will find your car will leap forward as though you just pulled the clutch out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I used to do it on a regular basis in one of my old hacks. not good for the box unless it has been built for it.... no way would i do it with the Z's standard gearbox though... **** if i change quick enough with the clutch it grinds...

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (Vazquez_guy @ Jul 25 2008, 04:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=547403
WHY would you even try doing that in a Z? It's insane, if you really hate shifting that bad trade in for an automatic.

Is not that he hates shifting but that power shifting is faster so is a common practice for racing. Of course if you are professionally racing at the end of the race the transmission is rebuild / changed.
Bad idea in any other scenario.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I know. Sorry if it sounded like I was flaming but I just wouldn't do it in a z...a civic maybe but not a z. My pockets aren't that deep.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
i'll be nice and spell it out....D..U...M..B......I...D...E..A...

unless your tranny is built for it don't do it

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always kinda wondered about this my uncle had an old pickup and he could change gears in it with out using the clutch. Not when he was trying to race it or anything just when he was daily driving. he would go in a gear then let of the gas, but it into gear and go back on the gas. No grind not slamming it into gear he just did it as if he was using the clutch. If its not grinding or anything and if you were used the the car enough to feel when the shift points were would it hurt anything?? :dunno:

BTW i would NEVER do that in my Z

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to be able do it in my first pickup, but then again...it was an old ass truck. The damage was already done so there was no harm in getting lazy every now & then.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i did it before just to try it, before i knew it could do damage, and its not as hard as he makes it sound...

All u do is jab the throttle and put light pressure on the shifter, it will go right through the gate, and into the next gear, it might grind sometimes if the rpms r not perfect....

·
5,437 Posts
Cain is 100% right. The reason you HAVE a clutch is because most drivers don't know how to/arent good at rev matching. The reason I NEVER grind gears while street driving is because I revmatch every change. Now, when racing and starting in 1st, be careful when grabbing 2nd. This is a common shift to grind. The synchros (double synchros in 1st and 2nd gear) are working real hard because of the large difference in revs between the top of first and second gear.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
The Z tranny is synchronized. So, it's near impossible to powershift without the clutch. When driving normally, however, it's quite easy to both up and down shift without the clutch. I do it all the time. 'Course it helps that I have a CDL and have a bit of experience shifting without a clutch. Trucks have dog-boxes, so you pretty much never use the clutch unless stopped.

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (Korda @ Jul 25 2008, 06:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=547413
Is not that he hates shifting but that power shifting is faster so is a common practice for racing. Of course if you are professionally racing at the end of the race the transmission is rebuild / changed.
Bad idea in any other scenario.
even in the racing environment if the transmission is not sequential racers will still apply the clutch.

the only reason why i would apply shifting clutchless if if something happens to the car and i want to drive it to a safe spot/mechanic ext.

or if u wanna impress a chick or a friend lol lol lol.

u guys are right on the coint. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
OMG!

you are supposed to not let off the gas....not the clutch.---->proper way to speed shift......just get your practice in shifting quick....if you need to dust a GTO this is the only way to do it.....unless they know how to do this also.

OOPS!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts