Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I had a little accident with my car and needed the front bumper replaced.

At the same time I opted to buy a Nismo replica spoiler and have it painted since it was going in.

Well...

First off the car is a PPW (Pearl White).

Got to the shop and noticed that the newly painted bumper just doesn't have the same "Pearl" to it as the rest of the body. The spoiler looks great, except it has the same problem as the bumper (same batch of paint???). The guy at the shop told me to take it home, look it over again and let him know.

The other problem is with the spoiler install. The spoiler is the replica, so I understand it won't have "as high" of quality as the real deal, but I took my time and made sure the shop had the template, and even removed the deck lid plastics to make it a little easier for them. I get home and start to put plastics back on and notice that two of the holes that they drilled for the spoiler aren't being covered COMPLETELY by the plastic on the deck lid. :xZ!o: I AM PISSED. I don't know what else to say or do. I put the car back together, and intend on taking it back to the shop...

But I guess I am looking for some opinions. Should I have them repaint the parts to get the same "amount" of Pearl look to them?

What to do about the partially visible holes on the deck lid? The supplied template wasn't even used.

I am just really upset about all this, and not sure how I should proceed. Part of me is worried, that they'll say we didn't take off the plastic so we didn't know where it came to/stopped and tell me I am SOL. Any suggestions/insight would be great.

:helpsmilie:

Thanks,
Chris

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Sorry to read this...I have seen many examples of aftermarket body kits on a PPW that did not have a close paint match....so I am assuming it is a difficult one to get right.

Maybe some PPW owners who have a good paint match on aftermarket parts will chime in with some suggestions. The first time my parts were painted they came out TOO dark...later discovered that the shop used the wrong base coat. They repainted for free. (Silverstone)

If you gave them a template and they chose not to use it, and now you have holes exposed in the deck lid....I would explain that this is unacceptable and ask them to refit the spoiler.

hth

·
Registered
346 Posts
:punch:
I have seen many examples of aftermarket body kits on a PPW that did not have a close paint match....so I am assuming it is a difficult one to get right.
not really. Just make sure the body shop use DBC clear coat and PPG paint. It will give you 99.5% match. Have to ASK for those type of paint.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The PPW is a Tri-Coat..:

Base Coat: white
Midcoat: Pearl
Top Coat: clear.

If they do not spray enough Pearl midcoat, then it will not match. The didnt match my spoiler quite right, but its close enough for my taste. I have heard alot of complaints about PPW matching.

That really sucks.. i mounted my spoiler myself for this very reason. I dont trust other people drilling into my car's body.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Chris, don't mention the plastic pieces. Definitely go back and tell them to do it again with the tri-coat process. Or you'll report them to the BBB.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/quote]
Not sure what you mean about the plastic pieces part of your post... But this is the shop whom I've gone to in the past, and I always end up questioning the color of the paint. The last time I was there, they repainted the first replacement bumper twice till I was happy. So I don't think it'll be a problem with the paint.

But here is a picture of one of the holes. This is a shot from my camera phone, so not the best quality, but this is the biggest of the two holes.

Should I bitch and moan till they replace the hatch?

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Now I see what you're talking about. I thought plastic pieces meant something else. I don't know what they could do with that hole, but it doesn't look too bad. It's not leaking or anything, so I would leave it. As for the paint, I would try to get it to match better.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Yeah, the hole isnt soo bad, I promise you no one will ever in a million years notice it there, on that side of the hatch.

But the paint issue I'd complain about.. white's hard to match correctly. PPG products do a great job tho. I'd ask if they were used in the painting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree the hole isn't too bad, but it's just the fact that it's there and shouldn't be, if they would've used and/or followed the template. That's what I am most upset about. I mean ****, I wouldn't have any room to bitch if I did it. But if I paid the shop 500 bucks to prep/paint and install the spoiler, I EXPECT them to do a perfect job. I mean afterall this is what they get paid for correct?

The paint at this point is going to be a non issue. They have already agreed to repaint it, and I will mention the DBC Clear Coat and PPG Paint, and see what they have to say about that. So we'll see.

But as of right now, I am unhappy with the dollar amount that I've spent and the results I have gotten. I agree, I'm not sure what they can do, but it's the fact that I have two new holes in my car visible or not to anyone else, I know they are there. Just bitching and venting so thanks for listening.

Chris

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd love to see some better pics of everything (bumper, spoiler, entire car).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chris,

I have a ppw z too. I also opted to go with the replica wing. only i had bigger issues. the replica spoiler doesnt cover the two alignment holes for the oem spoiler. so they have to weld and bondo those and repaint the entire deck lid and the spoiler. I am also having them shave the rear nissan emblem. Anyway back to the topic. the Body shop should know about that PPG and DBL as well as tri-coating..my body shop explained it all to me while getting an estimate. Basically I would say have them repaint so it looks closer to the rest of the car i know it suck latting them have it again but like you said you paid 500 you deserve a good job and you should have one. My ordeal costs be 850 but thats because of my oem spoiler so feel Luck there and dont worry about those holes on the bottom of the rear hatch no one will ever see them...plus it makes yours unique....look at it that way...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts