Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....but a 350Z is one of my choices for a new car.

Nice site you folks have here btw. Hope to contribute more with some first-hand experience but we'll see how things go.

Been thinking of selling my present car, a 99 Civic SiR, and moving on to something different. I've set my limit at $30k and my choices are (in no particular order): early Acura NSX, Mitsubishi EVO, 05 Mustang GT, or a base 350Z. So I thought I'd pop in and see what you guys had to say, good or bad, about the new Z. Judging from a quick browse through the forums, it seems everyone is happy with their respective Zs. I've read on other forums that there have been clutch/drivetrain problems and even blown engines with the new 350Z but, like everything else on the internet, I took it with a grain of salt. Can anyone confirm/deny these?

My personal "Z" experience: I work at a performance/service shop and recently had the opportunity to make some suspension and exhaust modifications on a customer's 350Z. Very nicely designed, simple, and logical. I'm not sure about working on the engine and drivetrain but, being a mechanic, I would like to own a car that would be easy to tinker with.

I was never really "blown away" by the Z aesthetically (I liked the previous concept better), but I have to admit, the more I look at it, the more I like it. My only caveat is with the interior door panels which seem to be a little too plain.

Also, this will be a daily driven car (which should be no problem in Southern California) and will see the occasional weekend track day. Any opinions on this?

Thanks in advance for your opinions, biased as they will be. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by 350zz@Aug 31 2005, 02:42 AM
so cal eh

spend some more and get the roadster
[snapback]150932[/snapback]​

Not a big fan of roadsters/convertibles, can't track it. Plus the inevitable squeaks and leaks with the top up.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
First, welcome! I like your intro. :clap: Now onto serious business.

With your cash limit, I would obviously buy the Z. I live in MN and hardly see a Z on the roads, but I'm sure you see plenty of them in your area. As for the Mustang, they are too popular and there are too many on the roads already. I can honestly say that at any given time, I will spot at least 3 Stangs in less than 5 or 10 minutes. :lame:

As for the Evo, I think that car is overrated and just a fad. I've heard that they, like any other car, has problems. They are overpriced and don't really offer much in the way of amenities. For over $30k, I'd like some luxury items and not just a 4 banger with a big turbo.

I thought the NSX, even used, was much more expensive than $30k. If you can find one for that price, that's nice. Still, labor and parts for it are not cheap. Then again, what is?

I hope this site can become a regular stopping point for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
First of all , all the 05 Mustang GT's are already sold. I just talked to some people at Ford last week, and all the 05 production run is sold out, if you want a Mustang you will get an 06. The NSX I understand is a great car, but like what was said earlier somewhat expensive to operate. The EVO is a great car, I have seem some auto-x and they really haul. If you want a 4 door, that or an STI would be my first choices. If you really want a 350Z I am sure you could get an 05 for your price. This late in the year, you maybe able to step up a model or two for what you can afford.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Originally posted by old grey@Aug 31 2005, 06:43 PM
First of all , all the 05 Mustang GT's are already sold.  I just talked to some people at Ford last week, and all the 05 production run is sold out, if you want a Mustang you will get an 06.  The NSX I understand is a great car, but like what was said earlier somewhat expensive to operate.  The EVO is a great car, I have seem some auto-x and they really haul.  If you want a 4 door, that or an STI would be my first choices.  If you really want a 350Z I am sure you could get  an 05 for your price.  This late in the year, you maybe able to step up a model or two for what you can afford.
[snapback]151176[/snapback]​

No brainer. Drive one of each - then buy the one you like the most. I did. :cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Used 91-92 NSXs can go for as low as $30. And if I was really serious about sacrificing the use of a backseat, it would bea tossup between the Z and the NSX. The mustang and the EVO are on the list for that purpose. I feel the same about the EVO, four wheel drive and turbo don't seem like the most elegant solution to a great drive. Mind you, I haven't driven one in anger, but it would seem like a constant qualifying lap wherever I went.

I can handle pretty much handle any maintenance each car can throw at me, so I can just about write off labour costs. But parts costs are relative, and I don't plan on modifying either vehicle much (famous last words, I know). That's one of the things I sorta wanted to get away from, constantly modifying and upgrading.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Get rid of that toy (99 Si) and get a man's car. Actually keep it and buy better car. I kept my turbo civic for the track. LoL

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want some daily utility in a car that will be dy-no-mite at the track, it's the Evo. A couple of guys I know have them, and they are simply awesome in performance. The stock seats and equipment are spot on. Drawbacks are that the perishables--like the brakes and rotors--are way expensive. But, for real hard-nosed performance in a street car, it's tough to beat the Evo. BTW, I own a 350Z and love it, but I know a nastier machine when I see it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Those Evo 4G63 motors won't last long, same as 90-99 eclipse turbo on too much boost. Then again Nissan isn't as high up as Honda or Toyota in engineering.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
If you're not going to mod too much, then you should at least know that Nissan designed the VQ engine tweaked to almost its full potential. In other words, NA mods will be expensive for minimal gains. There are inexpensive mods you can do to get better response and power, but for a kick in the pants you have to go FI.

Underdrive pulley, lightened flywheel, intake and exhaust, things like that are DIY projects that can give you noticeable performance. You can also change the suspension and/or wheels for road handling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts