Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Nose Bra removal every washing?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you really have to remove the nose bra with every washing?

The Nissan folks made this disclaimer about paint damage if you get moisture trapped under their nose bra. It's probably some lawyer-inserted disclaimer. I don't have problems on my other cars. I understand the warning about getting debris stuck under there but is water really something I need to worry about? It's not very humid in California, rather on the dry side so I'm guessing this isn't a major concern. What say ye folks??

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do you really have to remove the nose bra with every washing?

The Nissan folks made this disclaimer about paint damage if you get moisture trapped under their nose bra. It's probably some lawyer-inserted disclaimer. I don't have problems on my other cars. I understand the warning about getting debris stuck under there but is water really something I need to worry about? It's not very humid in California, rather on the dry side so I'm guessing this isn't a major concern. What say ye folks??
What is interesting about your question is that most people who are fussy enough to have a bra for their car wouldn't even consider leaving it on to wash their car. Are you too lazy to take it off?

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't disagree more about the primary purpose of the nose bar. It's not about fuzziness at all but rather about preserving your front bumper from road debris. I prefer to have the bumper open but have learned my lesson from previous low profile sports cars. Why anyone wouldn't put one on is beyond me if you do care about your car's paint job. All you have to do is that a look at this current thread and it tells it all: http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...c=16145&hl=

I don't show my car and am not a fanatic about cleaning it (perhaps a blasphemous statement in this forum) but more about just driving it. But I like it look good so an occasional washing is in order. 'Lazy'? Perhaps a little. It wasn't the easiest bra to get on so I don't want to invest significant amounts of time to just wash the car. Plus every time you take it on or off, you do risk some scratching from all the attachments hooks dangling off the bra as you stretch it across the front.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, one other thing for those reading this question. Here's the background as to why I'm interested in other nose bra owner's opinions. Nissan says that you should remove the bra if you get water under it and let it dry completely before reinstalling it. Does this not make sense to anyone else from a practical sense? By simple deduction, does this mean I can never drive the car in the rain where the bra may get wet? If I have to remove it each time it does (since what's the difference between a wash and a heavy rain storm?), and then wait until it drys before re-installing it; that would mean I have to drive unprotected on the roads while it is drying. That doesn't make sense. That's why I think this precaution is a Nissan CYA but I thought the purpose of the forum was to share information and advice. I am willing to change my protocol if warranted.

·
Registered
456 Posts
OK. OK..... Let me clarify.

I use a car bra.

I use it only when I know I'll be going on the highway for any distance.

I am very bloody fussy.

I never wash my car while the bra is on (can't wash the part that the bra is covering and don't want to get the bra wet underneath).

Yes it is a PITA when you are away on a tip and the bra gets wet.

Yes it is a PITA having to fit and remove.

Most of the above are why 90% of people don't use a car bra. The fact that I do means I am fussy and will not worry about the inconvenience of owning and using one.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
:welcome: to the boards Chuck....

I would personally remove mine while washing the car.... It's not THAT much of a pain in the butt...

But then I only use mine for long car trips also. Not for just day to day run around town driving.

Why wash the car and skip over the bumper???

·
Registered
482 Posts
Bras can be a pain in the butt. You MUST remove them anytime the bra gets wet, mold is a very bad thing for paint and not so good for the bra. You should remove it frequently to get any dirt or debris that gets trapped between it and the car, because that will just turn the bra into a nice big piece of sandpaper. Frequently is about once a week if it were me and driven daily.

I see so many cars where people think hey I will throw this bra on to protect it and just forget about it. Well it will actually do more damage to your paint if you do that then to not have a bra at all.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Bras can be a pain in the butt. You MUST remove them anytime the bra gets wet, mold is a very bad thing for paint and not so good for the bra. You should remove it frequently to get any dirt or debris that gets trapped between it and the car, because that will just turn the bra into a nice big piece of sandpaper. Frequently is about once a week if it were me and driven daily.

I see so many cars where people think hey I will throw this bra on to protect it and just forget about it. Well it will actually do more damage to your paint if you do that then to not have a bra at all.
That's what scares me..... I happen to like my front bumper painted AND clearcoated :biggrin:

But soon to be coming to a Z near you.... a 3M clear bra kit that I won which will be installed soon!!! YAY!

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's what scares me..... I happen to like my front bumper painted AND clearcoated :biggrin:

But soon to be coming to a Z near you.... a 3M clear bra kit that I won which will be installed soon!!! YAY!
I want pics when it is done!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The only bra I ever owned was for my Honda Accord. I was told that it's a good idea to remove it when washing the car. Part of the problem is that you could get soap and dirt caught by the bra and then it sits and 'festers' while you drive it. So in essence, you never really cleaned the whole car, just part of it that's exposed to the eye.

It would bother me to know that the whole car wasn't clean. I understand the importance of having a bra for the car when driving long distances, but for daily driving around the city I wouldn't use it.

I also regularly washed the bra to get rid of all the dirt underneath on the cloth side.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Remove the bra when washing, and wash the bra itself. Get the road grime off the inside felt. You can use something like 409 and a stiff brush and hose it off. Let it dry in the sun, and it's much easier to put back on when it's warm and more flexible.

If it rains and it gets wet I wouldn't worry too much since it's going to dry out quickly in NoCal....I left mine on after rains and it didn't hurt the paint and I didn't ever see any cloudiness.

I actually wish I could use my bra for trips, but with the aftermarket grille I can't :headshake:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I never really understood the purpose of a bra. You are protecting the front of the car so it won't get chipped and look ugly, yet it's covered up and you have a black trap on the front of it?

Although I can understand if your taking a highway trip.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never really understood the purpose of a bra. You are protecting the front of the car so it won't get chipped and look ugly, yet it's covered up and you have a black trap on the front of it?

Although I can understand if your taking a highway trip.

First, I have a black car so the stock bra looks perfect. What looks uglier to me are white marks scattered all over the my dark colored hood.

Secondly, they make different bra colors: www.speedlingerie.com.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hummmm, maybe I could develop slippers for tires, so they don't wear out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, of course you have to remove them. I used one a lot in the 80's on my Z-28 Pace Car. Threre are lot's of reasons why a bra is so 80's. Aside from the water/moisture issue, its just a matter of time that you drop it or dirt gets blown under it so that dirt can actually scratch the paint you are trying to protect. The Y2K bra today is a good 3M clear film to prevent rock ships and bugs from marring the bumper finish!

·
Registered
166 Posts
LOL I chime in! I have a bra that came with my Touring model and use it on long drives on the hwy. It protects the paint from rocks and bugs ect. It is tacky but when I get to my destination I take it off. For example I'll drive to Vegas (3 hours away) I use it and when I park take it off and cruse the strip with a clean face :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just have to reply in this one because I have a first hand experience about not removing the car bra of my car. I once washed my car with the car bra attached in it and it sure does give me a hard time really washing it. Provided that it protects your car, cleaning it gave me double time. Just make sure to remove it while cleaning it, then return it and there you go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts