Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so for those of you who know me, I haven't been on this site for about a month. That would be because I've had a tough time.

My main reason I have been unable to get on here, is because my laptop had picked up a virus and crashed. But thankfully it was under guarantee and I got it back today! Anyway, last Sunday I got into a bit of an accident. I was turning into my neighborhood... completely casual-like and something snapped. I heard some burning rubber next thing I know I'm up on the opposite side of the street, on the curb :(

Luckily, no other cars were involved. However, my front, driver-side tire has been... well destroyed. The rim got a nasty case of curb rash. And somehow, the entire wheel itself has been pushed back against the body. Now I'm not an expert with suspension and all of that, but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen. I'm trying to decide if this was mechanical failure, or if it was just my poor slow speed turning skills. Please give me feedback, and I unfortunately have no pictures of the car seeing as though it was dark when this occurred and I had to get the car towed that night. (some shady people walking around there). I haven't been contacted by the dealership (where I'm having it repaired), but I've got an estimate from their mechanic (5 grand....) Should I get a second opinion? Again, feedback please. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Ugh, that sounds horrible. Always get at least 2 opinions. Do your research online and look for good or great reviews of the shops.

So what you're saying is that you were turning slowly around a corner and the suspension broke?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I heard like a popping noise, the toe-truck guy thought it was a shock, but I took a look and that was intact, I think it might be, I don't quite know the name of it but it basically holds the wheel in place? Thats what broke, I must've hit something in the road. Anyway, the wheel scrapped up against the inside of the wheel compartment, (burned rubber all in there) and I guess it just locked up and thats what sent my skidding. And yeah I've already started my research (just now).

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
All I can say is take lots of good pics from different angles (both sides of the car). You'll need it for reference later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yeah to add onto my list, I've been sick all week, so I haven't gotten to go to the dealership >.< ooo baddd couple of weeks!!!

my only good news: got my Fairlady Z Badge

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! haha I could use it.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Sounds like a tie rod broke. I heard another case of this happening a while back. A woman's young son (early 20s) was killed when his steering tie rod broke in the twisties and sent him into the trees. She was trying to get Nissan to take responsibility (i.e. she was suing them).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts