Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
srry for the maybe noobish question, but what does a plenum spacer do?
what are the results for HP/TQ?
are they recommendend for N/A?
:yikes: :hide2:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
It's not a noobish question at all. A spacer fits between the lower and upper plenum to add more volume. So, it allows more air to flow through the intake manifold. It's definitely recommended for N/A and can be one of the biggest bang-for-the-buck mods. I saw a magazine article that rated the AAM spacer at 13whp. The guy had an intake and cat-back exhaust also.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting...

what about the TQ?
i heard N/A loses torque with a plenum spacer?

what's better, a spacer or full aftermarket plenum?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
but i wouldnt invest in a spacer if i had the extra money, so just go ahead with Kinetix V4, APS, Crawford....something of the like

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
from the wiki:

The stock plenum slopes down towards the front of the engine. Nissan designed this in order to clear the stock strut bar and hood on the 350Z (function after form). This sloping design restricts the airflow to the front cylinders, but an aftermarket plenum can help those front cylinders breathe. Aftermarket plenums either increase the overall height or remove the downward slope in the design, allowing more volume and greater airflow to all cylinders. Higher airflow is needed to achieve more power. Some companies are offering plenum spacers that utilize the stock plenum but still increase the overall volume and mayalleviate the downward slope. Still others are offereing entire intake manifold replacements (upper and lower plenums). Personal preference and modding goals will play a part in which plenum is best for you.

* Note: Some aftermarket plenums will cause you to loose the stock strut bar, however some offer a custom strut bar for those that wish to have one.
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:plenums

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
no, doesnt woid the warranty

i dunno i never dynoed in with the SSV manifold on

it looks awesome!

works great with Forced Induction such as Turbo and SC

·
Registered
305 Posts
i havent seen a dyno of an N/A with the new SSV , but i know and s/c gained 50whp(or something)

not sure how good it is for n/a

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
yea, y not? :DiRN:

I believe the gains on NA are minimal with the SSV plenum and its just not economical buying that one over one of the other plenums. Although it does look badass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts