Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Welcome- there's no problem with the VQ35DE. There's plenty of us who've had strong running DEs for years in our Zs. Mine has over 100K and has been nothing but durable and smooth throughout the past 16 years!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh goodhevvins.... another one.

There is NOTHING wrong with the DE engine other than the hysteria surrounding its alleged "inferiority"; thought of by people who have sipped the KoolAid offered by others who think they've got it right because "the HR has 306hp, dual intakes, high deck block.... yadda yadda yadda. This is similar to everyone who says the much vaunted LSX GM family of engines is superior to the original small block Chevy. Sure, it's evolved and yes, arguably "better"; just as the Nissan VQ has gone from DE to HR to VHR.... this doesn't make the DE a "BAD" engine any more than the AMAZING SBC is "inferior" to the LSX.

If someone not familiar with Zs asked for my recommendation - you know, the ones who say, "Hey, been doing a lot of research on Zs and it looks like I have to have an '07 and up car, what do you think?" I'd tell them to skip the 350Z and buy a 370Z. I'm serious. And not only because it's got the VHR and the EA transmission but because it is just a "better car"; much in the same manner an '07+ HR 33 is a "better" car than the earlier. And they should be, they're NEWER!

My point: a well kept, properly maintained pre-'07 350Z can and is an amazing car if your budget isn't up in Z34 territory. And a properly maintained (unabused) DE will easily go 200k with little problem.

Just so tired of the elitism by owners of HR engines who think THEY are better because they have an HR. I have owned DE, HR, VHR (Nismo version at that) and while sure, the newer motors are, arguably, "better"; there is absolutely NOTHING I'm ashamed of in still owing my last remaining Z car, an original '03 with original DE. Put this way, the newer engines had BETTER be better than their predecessors because if they're not, someone wasted a lot of money!

<Off soapbox>

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Well said. My 2005 DE engine has no scoring or burnt oil deposits inside after 190K miles and the oil is changed every 3000. I use Valvoline. Regularly highway driven each mornig at 80 mph with bursts up to 100-110 mph. Idles like a dream. Enhanced with more air in and out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts