Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for non carbon fiber or fiberglass hood and bumper. They don't do so well in the winter. The body shop that will be fixing my car is cool about getting me what I want but I haven't found any hoods that aren't cf or fg, and I find more ground effects than whole bumpers.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
You will not find aftermarket hoods that are made of anything else, nor will you find aftermarket front bumpers that are made of anything else

There are plenty of front bumpers but they are either FRP / CF / FG..

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine told me that fiberglass and carbon fiber hoods will crack in the winter if ice gets on them. He is a mechanic. Another friend told me there isn't anything to worry about, he is also a mechanic. Does anyone else konw the real story?

Also on an unrelated matter, if a hood has vents how do you keep water from the intake(I have a popcharger).

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Originally posted by NourZ@Jun 14 2005, 10:40 PM
most of the vented hoods I saw on Zs are designed to let hot air out , so the vents are open to he back.

Air ducts air angled to prevent water from running straight at the filter.

No CF and FG will not crack under snowy conditions, at least it doesn't here in Toronto.
[snapback]114293[/snapback]​

just what he said :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yeah, I agree, it is extremely tough to waterlock an engine if you don't drive your car through lakes/ponds/rivers/oceans. (think of how hot the engine gets)

BTW, i've never heard that. My brother had a fiberglass hood on his S10 and I believe it's iced up before, nothing happened to it though. And if fiberglass won't, i'm SURE carbon fiber definately won't. That doesn't even make sense logically, carbon fiber is stronger than what any of the manufacturers use for OEM hood material and those don't have problems when they freeze.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i would have to disagree. i forget who it was but they make a urethane front bumper. its either Intial D's replica of the Ings kit or the Ings kit itself. But i know you can get a Urethane whole front bumper. so there are options other than cf or frp or fg for your front bumper. and on the hood just find someone that is selling their oem. that way you get an aluminum one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by grmnskyliner@Jun 15 2005, 12:52 PM
i would have to disagree. i forget who it was but they make a urethane front bumper. its either Intial D's replica of the Ings kit or the Ings kit itself. But i know you can get a Urethane whole front bumper. so there are options other than cf or frp or fg for your front bumper. and on the hood just find someone that is selling their oem. that way you get an aluminum one.
[snapback]114653[/snapback]​

The insurance is paying for an OEM one, I was going to pay a bit more and get something aftermarket.

Okay, since I am looking at CF hoods now, I really like the Seibon TS and VS or just the simple OEM carbonfiber. I am now nervous about them fitting properly. Anyone have these that can give advice?

Sorry if I ask alot, I just don't want any future problems. I haven't made any significant non-performance mods before so I'm in the dark about alot of this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the first batch oof seibon had some fitment issues but after that i believe that the issues were taken care of. i would go with either the ts or the vt. the ts is a more common hood tho.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I would go TS. And most CF aftermarket hoods are going to have to be "adjusted" until they fit properly. So don't sweat it if it doesn't line-up the first time, it just takes some work.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Jun 15 2005, 05:44 PM
I would go TS. And most CF aftermarket hoods are going to have to be "adjusted" until they fit properly. So don't sweat it if it doesn't line-up the first time, it just takes some work.
[snapback]114934[/snapback]​

You would go TS for what reason? You think it would fit better, do you just like the way it looks, or because its been around longer? Cause the VS is starting to grow on me, I haven't seen it as much and from the way it looks it seems like it would have less problems with going over the strut bar. I'm trying to get as much info as I can because I have to make my decision tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by zlegend+Jun 16 2005, 11:31 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Jun 15 2005, 05:44 PM
[snapback]114934[/snapback]​

You would go TS for what reason? You think it would fit better, do you just like the way it looks, or because its been around longer? Cause the VS is starting to grow on me, I haven't seen it as much and from the way it looks it seems like it would have less problems with going over the strut bar. I'm trying to get as much info as I can because I have to make my decision tomorrow.
[snapback]115890[/snapback]​

Looks good, should fit fine, and probably is one of the top hoods that vent heat out efficiently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts