Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else with or without the UR pulley get noisey belts?

At idle they sound like the are making little squeaks or chirps, its not loud but clearly audiable. 24hrs after tightening them they become squeaky again?

They could need a clean or it could be the UR Pulley surface. Pouring water on them to clean them while running worked once but I dont think it has much effect anymore, so they could need a decent clean.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Murray - I get a rattling chain sound from somewhere in my drivetrain. From memory, I think it happens after a gear change, but I would have to listen more carefully in future to be precise. I've got no idea where this noise comes from and I've had it since day dot, so assumed it was normal.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Don't know as I'm the only driver and it only occurs when moving, not when stationary.
I may have to get the missus to stand on the footpath as I do a few laps of the street on the weekend to see if she can hear anything. However, she is oblivious too any squeeks and rattles when she's inside the car with me and reckons that the noises are in my head!!! She even has the audacity to tell me that there is no pixie sitting on my right shoulder - bloody woman!!!
Not sure how helpfull she'll be, but I'll try it on her.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Not overly loud but you don't need to be listening to hear it. I do notice it when it happens. Unfortunatley, the noise does not happen all the time, so I could try to recreate it and be unsuccessful - now you see why the wife thinks I'm going around the bend.
I'll either get Peter or Nissan (need to get other rattles sorted before the warranty expires) to explain it to me on my next visit.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are the worst kind of noise, or the ones which are only loud enough for you to hear but no one else, or any noise you take to Ryde Nissan as they are complete ****.

Dont worry my GF is similar. I think ive actually relaxed alot now so it takes a bit more now before I'll try to address a noise. The noisey belt really gets me though as you want to hear a nice idle from the exhaust but you just get those crappy belt noises.

Good luck for when you try to recreate the noise!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Murray.

I had exact same problem like yours with my UR pulley.
I manage to fix mine to change the Belt into a smaller thickness. It seems on mine the belt is to thick and the noise is cause from the belt rubbing on the Engine wall. After i changed it no more Squek sound anymore.

Hope this is the problem with yours.

CHeers

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't have the problem from day 1 since I got the UR installed though.. got it at the same time as Yun... but yun got the noise which was very loud before he got it fixed...

best of luck murray!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by KY350@Sep 27 2005, 05:20 AM
Murray - I get a rattling chain sound from somewhere in my drivetrain.  From memory, I think it happens after a gear change, but I would have to listen more carefully in future to be precise.  I've got no idea where this noise comes from and I've had it since day dot, so assumed it was normal.
[snapback]158385[/snapback]​

Michael,
The noise you are hearing is almost certainly from the stock 2 piece flywheel.
A lot of them have noises.
Zuff's car is one that I can remember.
If you get in a narrow lane or a street with solid walls you can hear the noise quite
loudly reflected off the wall or fence when you accelerate or decelerate or changing gears in the lower ratio's

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Originally posted by nizmo pete@Sep 29 2005, 09:48 PM

Michael,
The noise you are hearing is almost certainly  from the stock 2 piece flywheel.
A lot of them have noises.
Zuff's car is one that I can remember.
If you get in a narrow lane or a street with solid walls you can hear the noise quite
loudly reflected off the wall or fence when you accelerate or decelerate or changing gears in the lower ratio's
[snapback]159180[/snapback]​

Peter - you're absolutely correct about the noise occuring in the lower gears. I kept my ears alert the last few days driving the Z and the noise only occurs in 1 or 2 gear. Its reassuring to know that this is normal.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Murray - I can hear it when I'm parked in the garage and I push the clutch in / or out (I cannot remember), but it is very quiet. It is actually louder when I'm changing from 2nd to 1st at very low speeds while revmatching.

The Tilton clutch must sound like coins in a washing machine!!!

Have you made any progress in solving your noisey belts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts