Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the nosie at start-up. Before you actually crank the motor. I always wait until all the console lights (ie oil,check engine, etc) come on before I crank the motor. It happens at that point just as you turn the key and all the lights come on.
It goes for about 1-2 seconds?
I suspect it might be some sort of vacuum?
I hope someone knows what it is and could enlighten me?

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is the sound of the fuel pump. You better allow few sec after the sound stop before crank the motor.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If its an electical-style buzzing noise, then yes its the fuel pump. That thing will usually kick in after you turn the car to whatever the notch is before the starter motor.

Most of the guys who have been in my car are surprised at how loud the pump is. It sounds like an aftermarket pump for a FI motor.

As LemanZ says, wait for your fuel pump to finish pressurising your fuel lines before actually starting the car.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
****, I havn't consciously been waiting for the pump to stop before starting... is that bad? I mean, it kicks right over.. maybe it doesnt need much of a prime in a garaged environment?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
On the Manual Said always to wait for about 3 sec or more before turn on the Engine. I think it's for the Fuel pump purpose as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My brother's zed makes a vibrating/chugging noise now (this is all the time). Seems to vibrate faster the more we accelerate. We've taken it to the Nissan dealer twice already but they haven't really solved it. First time they just tried to put some material in to dampen the sound and then the second time they said they needed to order some part from Japan. Still waiting.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Does everyone wait 3s for the fuel pump before turning the ignition on? I never have and don't recall reading it in the manual.

Scandrew - please be more specific in describing the vibrating noise - where do you think it is coming from, where do you feel it from etc. Also, what area did the dealer attempt to dampen and what parts do they intend to replace?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I don't hear the pump on my Z. Does it start up when you open the door, or when you turn the key, or what? Just wondering, ecause my '00 Golf's pump started when you opened the door. I was amazed at how loud that thing was.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lo fi ched
The noise starts when you turn the key far enough for all the lights to go on (on position I think) and lasts for about 1-2 seconds. Does not matter if door open or closed.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Apparently this fuel pump thing isn't big enough to cause a debate over it. If every minivan driving soccer mom had to wait three seconds every time they cranked their car, they wouldn't know what to do. It's obviously not a big deal. I guess for those people that let their car idle in the driveway until it's warm before they drive it can think this is important, but IMO it's not anything to stress over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts