Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the proud owner of the only Nissan 350Z 5MT in the world. I have five forward gears. 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Where did 3rd gear go? That's what I want to know!!!

I was running at the big road course at Willow Springs Raceway today, and my Tilton clutch was giving me problems. Sometimes the pedal would hit the floor an not engage, then later it would be fine. This is not the first time this has happened. The first time it was supposed to be fixed by replacing the slave cylinder, which was leaking. That work was done less than a week ago.

So I am out on the track, struggling with the clutch and gearbox. I manage to get it into 3rd gear in a turn, go thru the next turn, and then I hear BANG BANG BANG BUMP BUMP BUMP coming from the rear. I shift into 4th and head down the straight. I get to the next turn, clutch, and put the shift lever in 3rd. THERE IS NO GEAR THERE. You move the lever into the 3rd gear gate and it is just like you are in neutral. WEIRD. I have been driving stick shift sports cars for 30 years, but have never experienced anything like this.

Nissan can buy me another 6MT on warranty. It will be my third (counting the one the car came with).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That sucks! I was just about to mention the slave when I saw you mention it. I hope Nissan gets that fixed. Could it be the actual clutch pedal that needs adjusting? Actually, I think you might have another leak in your cylinders. I hope your master is OK.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer has already agreed to replace my 6MT gearbox on warranty. Sorting out the problem with the Tilton clutch pedal is more problematic. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
230 Posts
**** Richard!
When is it going to end?!

It's good the dealership is going to take care of part of the problem. Hopefully that will solve everything, but like you said about the clutch there may be other issues. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Richard you should take all your posts and put them into book form...Wrap it up and send it off somewhere to be published.---dude who did you piss off up there? Bad voo doo stuff man... ...maybe start hanging garlic from your rearview? Hope you get this one sorted out quickly. Good Luck and hang in there man.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's really cool that the dealership is agreeing to replace this under warranty. It's arguable that you've voided the warranty on your transmission by a) modifying shift components, and b) used the car for off-road racing.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Nissan dealership installed most of my mods, including the Tilton clutch and flywheel. They stand behind their work. They sponsor a 350Z racing team that just took first place in their class at Mid-Ohio raceway. You guys who don't have a mod-friendly Nissan dealer don't know what you are missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Would be nice to have benefits like that. I asked about installing some future mods at the dealership I bought my Z from, and they looked at me as if I was crazy. They said no way, no how. Mainly because they didn't want to be responsible for anything if it went wrong. To be honest I don't think I would trust them to do any of the work.

Good luck Richard! Keep us posted! :goodtimes:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Originally posted by Richard 350z@Aug 9 2004, 02:57 AM
The Nissan dealership installed most of my mods, including the Tilton clutch and flywheel.  They stand behind their work.  They sponsor a 350Z racing team that just took first place in their class at Mid-Ohio raceway.  You guys who don't have a mod-friendly Nissan dealer don't know what you are missing.

That's really cool. I'm assuming you're talking about Performance. They're the only dealership I know of that is into the racing scene at any serious level.

I wonder how Nissan views this "liberal" policy. The cost of warranty work ultimately falls to Nissan, not the dealership, so I'd imagine their tolerance for "mod-friendly" warranty work has a limit (if they're even aware).

Anyway, good luck with the Tranny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts