Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i wanted to throw out this idea and im sure there are some who have gone this route. What are your thoughts about going with the N/X setup? Me personally am craving that extra power when i pull up next to those STi's, EVO's, etc. i also kinda of weary about buying a TT kit right now due to the fact that there have been some issues with turbo kits and VQ engines.

OK, this is more than just the kit that i priced out as you can see but it does have all the goodies included!! I know some of you are saying well why not just spend the extra money for a SC, S/T, or TT kit, but some people dont have $6,000-8,000 laying aound. what do you all think?

1. Nitrous Express EFI Stage 1 Kit (#20923) $479.95 (ebay)
2. Nitrous Express GenX-2 Kit CLICK HERE $389.95
(Nitrous Upgrade, GenX-2, Bottle Heater, Pressure Gauge, Fuel Pressure Safety Switch, Blo-Down Tube, Kit)</span>

3. Nitrous Express Fully Automatic Remote Bottle Opener (NEX-11107) $199.95 (ebay)
dont really need but would be nice to have!!

4. Nitrous Express Maximizer (<span style=\'color:red\'>15963-PDA
) CLICK HERE $500 (i did a quick google search)
These Maximizer nitrous controllers use a palm PDA to upload and display the Maximizer information. They have an RPM activated window switch with gear counting capability, with a TPS switch to activate or de-activate the nitrous system. They also have a delay on, or delay off feature, will ramp up or down for turbo cars, and you can change the ramp parameters for each gear. Finally, the unit will piggyback on your O2's to allow the monitoring of the engine air/fuel ratios. By setting the high/low parameters the Maximizer will read, and monitor the air/fuel ratio. This allows you to disable the nitrous at any pre-set ratio. Palm unit not included.

5. NGK Iridium 1 Step Colder Plugs (LFR6AIX-11)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I am a big fan on Nitrous. I grew up around F Bodys (Firebirds Camaro), vettes, and mustangs.

My exroommate and I built a 383 stroker that was built for nitrous. It is one bad ass machine. He also has a Z06 with nitrous which is very fast. You can put a kit on in a couple of hours and then the power is all at a touch of a button.

You can find used kits on ebay and NX is a great company. I have dealt with them for technical questions and they a great and from texas!

~Z~

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a friend who is a NX dealer. If you are interested I will get some prices on kits. I am sure that we could get a group buy together. I would be interested myself.

~Z~

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, I have been using Nitrous for about 6 months now. To say the truth at first I was afraid of going the Nitrous route but have found that it can be save as long as it is not used improperly. I have the Wide Open Throttle set up and Im running 50 or 75 shot. The kit I bought came with the 35-50-75 shoot option. I enjoy it very much and feel comfortable knowing when I put the extra load on the engine unlike being supercharged or turboed. I personally wouldnt go with higher than a 75 shoot unless you start bulding the engine but 75 on our VQ is safe according to the research I have done. I enjoy it very much. In terms of getting the maximizer that is a very good option which Im actually looking to get. I would recommend a Nitrous Pressure Gauge and if you want an Air/Fuel Gauge. I actually have a brand new NX press. gauge by autometer sitting here as an extra if you want I can sell it to you.

My impressions have been very good with the nitrous set up I really like it. Welcome to the NX club. Post pics when you get it.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well this is all just thoughts but as i think about more and more, i really am considering buying this. Have you ran your car against anything, and if so what are the outcomes? I have heard other running a 100 shot with no isuses that is they retard the timing, plugs, etc

are you running the wet or dry kit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board but thought I would jump in.

The Stage 1 system is by far our most popular and probably one of the easiest to install. JTS2005, you seem to have done your homework on getting all the upgrades to help make the system almost bullet proof (I say almost because there is always the possibility of user error). You should be able run the 75hp setting with out any worries at all.

The Maximizer is a great choice if you want complete control of every aspect of the nitrous system and how it operates. Unfortunately the Maximizer you googled is no longer sold, BUT we have released the Maximizer II, which gives you even more control and it will data log a number of things in real time, plus it can control two stages instead of just one. The price is still the same so don't worry about having to pay more for the added capabilities.

On another note, I work for NX as a tech and joined this board to help in any way I can. So if anyone has any questions, comments, or complaints just fire away and I will be more than happy to do what I can to help.

Later,
Jeremy

·
Registered
13 Posts
The debate on wet vs. dry will always be around, it is basically just a personal preference IMHO. I prefer wet simply because you don't have to manually tell the motor to add fuel when the nitrous system is activated like you do with a dry system. With a wet system you just activate it and hold on because it is adding the necessary fuel on it's own. This also means that you are not overworking the injectors, which can cause injector failure if you are still running the stock injectors.

In some cases a dry system works well if you have the capability to manipulate the car's fuel curve/tables. If you can do this, you can adjust the curve/tables so that it compensates for bottle pressure drop as you make a run. You can compensate for the pressure drop on a wet system too, so that is kinda a mute point.

With the Maximizer II there is no reason not to run a wet system. It can control the system however you need it too so there is no need to change anything in the car's ECU

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by NX Jeremy@Jul 11 2005, 01:16 PM
The debate on wet vs. dry will always be around, it is basically just a personal preference IMHO. I prefer wet simply because you don't have to manually tell the motor to add fuel when the nitrous system is activated like you do with a dry system.  With a wet system you just activate it and hold on because it is adding the necessary fuel on it's own. This also means that you are not overworking the injectors, which can cause injector failure if you are still running the stock injectors.

In some cases a dry system works well if you have the capability to manipulate the car's fuel curve/tables. If you can do this, you can adjust the curve/tables so that it compensates for bottle pressure drop as you make a run. You can compensate for the pressure drop on a wet system too, so that is kinda a mute point.

With the Maximizer II there is no reason not to run a wet system. It can control the system however you need it too so there is no need to change anything in the car's ECU
[snapback]130056[/snapback]​

Jeremy,

How about a group buy?

·
Registered
13 Posts
A GB sounds good to me too, but unfortunately NX does not sell directly to the public. All purchasing has to be done through one of the distributors :banghead: , I could talk to one of my best dealers and see if he would be interested in doing one though. He is very cool about doing anything he can to make customers happy and give them great deals.

On the issue of the wet system. You don't have to have the Maximizer to run a wet system. I know it is kind of overwhelming how much the Maximizer can do, however, it makes tuning and controlling a nitrous system so easy that I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one. Plus it will make the nitrous system more consistent from run to run, which has been a problem in the past for drag racers. With all of the data logging and data monitoring capabilities of the Maximizer you will be able to see pretty much everything the car is doing as it is going down the track.

In addition to the Maximizer we also sell a dual channel wide band system that when used with the Maximizer, there is nothing that can't be monitored and logged. You will even be able to see tire spin, so you can see where the car is hooking up and where it isn't.

Originally posted by JTS2005@Jul 11 2005, 03:17 PM
GB does sound good :biggrin:

Jeremy,
so your saying if your running a wet system you dont need the maximizer?
[snapback]130229[/snapback]​

·
Registered
13 Posts
I talked to my friend that is a dealer for us and he said that he isn't allowed to do GB's becuase NX has what we call "Minimum Advertised Pricing" regulations. How ever he has found a loop hole of sorts and runs specials each month. These are really great deals when compared to other dealers. Here are the July specials.

Group 1.
NX-20923-10,
Nitrous Express Stage 1 Single fogger nozzle system.
GENX2-includes: Automatic bottle heater,purge,fuel pressure safety switch,N2o gauge,blow down tube and NHRA blow off valve.
BMN window switch,Has first gear lock out option.
Special price-950.00

Group 2
Accessory package-
Includes,Automatic Bottle Heater,Purge,Nitrous Pressure Gauge,Fuel Pressure Safety Switch,Blow Down Tube,NHRA Blow Off Valve,Life Time Style Nitrous Filter,Remote Bottle Opener,860 Hex To Wing Adapter
Special price-599.00

Group 4.
Nitrous Express 10 bottle jackets are 30.00 off of regular pricing.
10lb REG-118.80---Special-88.80

To place an order call Nitrous Outlet at 1-866-648-7637. Ask for Dave and tell him that Jeremy sent you to him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Group 1 package is what I recommend to probably 90% of the customers that call. The system is adjustable from 35-75hp at the rear wheels, and can produce as much as 250rwhp with additional jetting. So if you decide to upgrade the internals of the motor (forged internals) you can go higher with the system than the 75hp setting. The GENX-2 is recommended 99% of the time because it contains the accessories that are not only the most popular, but will help make the system more safe, reliable, and consistent than it already is.

The window switch is a very nice thing to have on 6MT cars because it will only allow the system to activate within a specified rpm window that you can change. This way the system can't activate at too low of an rpm (causes backfires through the intake, not good), and in the event that you miss a gear and bounce it off the rev limiter it will cut the nitrous off before you hit the limiter (nitrous spraying while hitting the rev limiter results in severe engine damage almost every time). Plus, this window switch has a first gear lock out, which enables you to be at wide open throttle out of the hole without the nitrous activating, then once you shift to 2nd the system will activate. This comes in handy for running street tires.

On a side note, JTS2005 you were saying that you had heard of guys running 100hp on the Z's with the right tuning. This hp level is pretty easy to run with our system. On the VQ engine you can safely run 100hp with 2 step colder plugs, 93+ octane fuel, and no timing retard. I have even seen a guy take a brand new (at the time) 350Z and spray 250hp from one of our systems to the completely stock drive train (with plugs, fuel, and proper safety equipment). He slapped a set of slicks on it and ran 10's for the better part of the racing season. He basically just wanted to find the limits of the motor, and surprisingly it held up a lot longer than expected. It just goes to show that with the proper set up, these motors will handle a ton of abuse.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Originally posted by NX Jeremy@Jul 12 2005, 12:50 PM
The Group 1 package is what I recommend to probably 90% of the customers that call. The system is adjustable from 35-75hp at the rear wheels, and can produce as much as 250rwhp with additional jetting. So if you decide to upgrade the internals of the motor (forged internals) you can go higher with the system than the 75hp setting. The GENX-2 is recommended 99% of the time because it contains the accessories that are not only the most popular, but will help make the system more safe, reliable, and consistent than it already is.
[snapback]130618[/snapback]​

So if I was to buy the Group 1 package for $950, that's the only thing i'll need to buy? Nothing else is neccessary to safely run 75hp? Sorry but i'm a total :newbie: when it comes to N2O.

·
Registered
13 Posts
JTS2005- NX technically doesn't do installs here at the shop/offices, but myself and one of the other guys do them in our spare time. To install everything in the Group 1 special would be $650. We usually request that the car be dropped off on a Friday and you can pick it up on Sunday.

Hazade- Correct, with the Group 1 package you could install it and not have any worries about the nitrous system malfunctioning (assuming everything is installed properly)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts