Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, thought i'd let every1 know that nissan has updated their Z section of the site with the 2006 model. Burning red is back, Tiptronic is 800 dollars cheaper, Ann engines(no Ann for tiptronic) and all the Z have gone up in price. theres heaps more, but those are the main highlights.

love the new site, looks good. :clap:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
At the Sydney Motor Show they mentioned that HID headlights are now standard across the range.

Haven't visited the site yet, but did they mention that?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the Sydney Motor Show they mentioned that HID headlights are now standard across the range.

Haven't visited the site yet, but did they mention that?
yep they have, and the Z looks weird with HID; looks like its on drugs with the dilated pupils.

i was just being basic on the details, lol :p.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Herbi lives again.......

id seriously spec an '06 with the old headlights, the new front just looks hardcore *** with those big projectors

the rear tails though are a fantastic improvement. I should be the first in Aus with them, if PerfNissan gets their act together this week and ships them out

and if the '06 knee pads on the centre console are real stitched leather then ill have to grab a pair of those too

·
Registered
55 Posts
There's something new (for AUS anyway) 2 roadsters. Seems one is auto one is manual, one has the 206 k/w engine where as the other has 221 k/w Taken from nis. aus.:

Features exclusive to TRACK model

* Brembo Braking System (4-piston caliper with 324x30mm ventilated front discs and 2-piston caliper with 322x22mm ventilated rear discs)
* Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
* 221kW of power, 353Nm of torque
* Close ratio 6 speed manual transmission

Tell ya what i wouldn't mind the 221k/w engine, LED rear lights and HID's on my roadster.

L8TR

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's something new (for AUS anyway) 2 roadsters. Seems one is auto one is manual, one has the 206 k/w engine where as the other has 221 k/w Taken from nis. aus.:

Features exclusive to TRACK model

* Brembo Braking System (4-piston caliper with 324x30mm ventilated front discs and 2-piston caliper with 322x22mm ventilated rear discs)
* Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
* 221kW of power, 353Nm of torque
* Close ratio 6 speed manual transmission

Tell ya what i wouldn't mind the 221k/w engine, LED rear lights and HID's on my roadster.

L8TR
but really it isnt new. they've basically chucked in the automatic for free with some minor changes.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Go and buy the motordyne plenum spacer and an exhaust and you'll get your 221kW. Hopefully though you won't lose any torque like Nissan has with the 221kW engine.

I like the rear lights of the 06 model, but not enough to fork out for a set. Can live without the HID.

WRT HID, has Nissan built in a pop-up water washer for the lights?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'd still take the 35th Anniversary bits just to give more tunability out of the engine. Imagine a 35th Anniversary engine with the plenum spacer and exhaust.....

I'm trying to find out how much it'll cost for the necessary bits to convert my engine into a 35th Anniversary engine, and decide if I'll do it.

Depending on where I am financially, I might skip that and just buy a stroked out VQ with CVTC on the intake and exhaust cams, and modify that instead. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
KY,
Good Q about the pop up washers for the HID lights.
I've got an '06 Track (pewter) on order for Jan 2006 (I have no idea how I'll survive till then), and it never occurred to me to check if it has the headlight washers.
I was under the impression that all cars with HIDs have to be fitted with pop up washers for Aus standards....but not sure.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I aslo believe that headlight washers are ADR for HID's. The 06 STi's have them and I'm sure the 06 Z would have it also, just have not seen or read anything about it.

BTW, a 2.5 - 3 month wait for the Z is normal as the car is made to order at the factory. I ordered mine towards the end of Feb 03 and had took delivery in mid May. If your anything like I was, you'll spend your evening pouring over every bit of info on the Z available over the net.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
the plenum spacer on an Ann has been dyno'd and it gave zero gains......prob because the new plenum already is flow balanced from factory. But never fear. Motordyne have a mod for the Ann that's been dyno'ing in the US at around 18rwhp and 22-29wTQ......so theres the 206kw torque loss right there
http://rice.sightless.net/dyno2.JPG

and as for fitting the exhaust.... :shiftdrive:

now all i need is someone to show me how to reset the ecu so i can see how much quicker it really is, i just cant do it

theres more to the Ann engine than that mild power increase, the smoothness at high rpm, the shrieking sound past 6500rpm and the ability to make power right up to cutout is enough to get your head around losing a handful of newton metres at 2000rpm.......afterall who races around hovering at 2000rpm :doh:

and yep headlight washers are an ADR must for xenons

scathing theres alot of parts in the new engine, the variable exhaust timing alone would be quite costly to do id imagine and may require a new ecu......then theres the pistons, rod bolts, etc

·
Registered
352 Posts
TPIACE, this is how you reset the ECU, use a stop watch or second hand on your watch, it really is easy

Here is a quick way to reset your ECU. It is also known to clear codes thrown, and turn off the "Service Engine Soon" Light. It's a little tricky, but works.

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:
1. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

As always

H

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
the plenum spacer on an Ann has been dyno'd and it gave zero gains......prob because the new plenum already is flow balanced from factory. But never fear. Motordyne have a mod for the Ann that's been dyno'ing in the US at around 18rwhp and 22-29wTQ......so theres the 206kw torque loss right there
http://rice.sightless.net/dyno2.JPG
They are awesome peak torque gains for the revup motor and nice torque gains across the rev range. A bit disappointing that power drops off at 6100 rpms, when this motor is supposed to maintain its peak power through to redline. If this could be rectified, then this would be a truely awesome NA mod.

BTW Sam, wait untill you get the motordyne mod fitted, if you intend on purchasing it, prior to a new chip.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeah thats true, i dont know why the power drops off so much up high, makes revving the car past 6000rpm pointless i think, but perhaps a chip will fix that? depending on what this mod is, i prob will do it. Ive been speaking with Tony about a plenum spacer for ages now, and he will do me a good deal on the new mod. Plus i want to fit his isothermal plenum gasket and copper throttle body mod (which significantly reduce plenum/intake temps)

the mod is still a 'secret' until the Motordyne website is complete, i think perhaps theyre trying to patent it

he commented there was alot of metal in it, and this was reflected in the highish shipping price. I think it may a new plenum

ill have to decide on whether to do the crawford cats too i guess before chipping

so many things to do, i dont get enough pay checks :doh:

btw i still have the KJR pulley ive yet to fit, im still not sure its safe to fit it, and i dont like the thought of loosening the drive belts, the Nissan dealer will prob screw it up

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
scathing theres alot of parts in the new engine, the variable exhaust timing alone would be quite costly to do id imagine and may require a new ecu......then theres the pistons, rod bolts, etc
The bottom ends are identical, from what I've been told by a friend. He's a Nissan mechanic here in Sydney, who converted his Maxima's engine to 35th Anniversary spec.

So unless the J31 Maxima's bottom end is better than the Z's, all the work I need done is in the head and ECU.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Alan (scathing),

It will be a lot of works and parts need to be done/purchased according to Performance Nissan in the States... Bascially, oil routes for the crank shaft are different, so bottom end is different for sure. They are using diff. oil pump too, exhaust vtc, ecu and heads... plus conrods, larger angled cams and revised pistons (those are written in the book that I got from Japan in April this year), you might as well go for a built motor that way...

Are you sure your friend converted maxima's engine to 35th or it is a drop in job instead?!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'm pretty sure he said "converted".

It might be interesting to find out. I may have heard wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts