Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this morning a new chip in my paint on the fender, right above the passenger side front tire. It's the size of the end of my little fender. Way too big to be touched up. What gets me is that the paint around the edge of the chip looks like it's raised away from the primer. Looks like the color coat is not stuck to the primer coat. Oh well, I'm off to the body shop for estimate. :xZ!o:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Hopefully, I can get mine repainted soon. Road rash is unavoidable...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the dealer look at the chip. They said it’s just a chip, no problem with the paint. Nissan won’t cover it. Big surprise. Had them give me an estimate, $368. Took it to a friends shop, $200. Gonna have him fix it next week.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My whole $%&%^ front end is eaten up with little chips from the road. I even have a chip just above my windshield that chipped all the way down to the metal and their is a small rust spot already. :xZ!o:

·
Registered
598 Posts
hey guys im about to have my car totally repainted (different color) should i have the shop strip the factory paint?
mdzowner

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
[/quote]

I'm not sure how else they would do it.. the new paint needs to bond to somethin right? Thats what the primer is for. Its a porus material designed for paint to stick to. Next comes the base coat (if needed) and main coat.. then a few layers of clear. If the shop is gonna spray over factory paint, it probably says somethin like MAACO on the wall and you should run away faaaast.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Also get the main coat wet sanded to remove any oranger peal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/quote]

Necropost I know, but for the record, alot of places paint over the factory paint.
You rough it up by sanding it, then lay new primer. It many not be the absolute best way, but it's not exactly horrible if the original paintjob isn't peeling cracking or bubbling.

On a Z you might as well strip it since it's so thin anyway :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts