Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2005 Tourning A/T with Nav. I have been quoted a price of $1400 for the 75K mile extended waranty, from the dealer. Is that a reasonable price by comparison? Is there an extended waranty available outside of the dealerships that might be better? Any words of wisdom or experience is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dan :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's one of those things that dealers make a killing off of. Like life insurance, paint or fabric protection, etc.

When I bought my Z, they wouldn't tell me a price, the FM kept asking me how much would I be willing to pay for the warranty. That tells me that he pays practically nothing for it and hopes that he can sell it for a bunch. I'd bet that $1400 policy doesn't cost them $400.

If you really feel you need one, shop around. There are some 3rd party ones. Try calling other local dealers and see what they'd be willing to sell one for.

Also, keep in mind that while it's described as a 75K mile policy, the factory warranty covers 36 - 50K already.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I got the extended warranty (10-year/100k) on my used 03 and on my form it says it cost like $1200 or so. HOWEVER, in reality they only charged us something like $300. (Long story short....we wouldn't budge on our finance limit and said we'd get the warranty through our credit union = they caved). So basically they almost gave it to us for free because they really wanted to close the deal.

Our credit union gives the same warranty coverage as dealers for less than the dealer is asking. You may want to look into that.

But even at $1400 I think it's a good deal as long as it's the 10-year/100k warranty. If you plan on keeping the car for more than a few years, it's well worth the piece of mind.

Originally posted by DavesZ#3@Feb 1 2005, 08:54 PM
Also, keep in mind that while it's described as a 75K mile policy, the factory warranty covers 36 - 50K already.

What? After 36k miles the factory warranty is up.

·
Registered
790 Posts
OK - I do not know all the details when it comes to a warranty. BUT - there is some mark up in a warranty and you can talk them down for the price.

I do not believe in an extended warranty BUT get the top of the line warranty(gold preffered???) if you get one - that way most everything is covered.

Call me at the dealership tomorrow and I will find out more details.

Zach

972-231-2600

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gentlemen...I was able to get some information from 3rd parties on line, will check with my credit union and other dealers. Thanks again for you time and help... :clap: Dan

·
Registered
351 Posts
When I used to sell car stereos, MY commision was 25% on a warranty, and the shop made twice that.... you can all do that math...

Anyway, let us know what you find (both the price and deductable, since those can get pretty high on some xtended warranties I've seen). I'm getting closer to my 36K miles pretty quick and thinking baout gettign an additional warranty myself.

·
Registered
790 Posts
OK!

I just talked to my General Manager and he said that for any 350Z-tech.com I can sell the extended warranty for $50 over our cost.

SO a Gold Preferred 84 month 100,000 mile would be
as follows for 350Z coupe & Roadster

Example:

$50 Deductible

Cost $1395
+ $ 50

Your cost$ 1445!

0$ Deductible

Cost $1668
+ $ 50

Your Cost $1718!

This is for a Nissan Gold Preferred Extended Warranty.

I hope that you can all use this to your advantage.

Please contact me if you are interested and/or want to know pricing

Warranties start at 24 months/40K miles and go to 84 months/100,000 miles!

Thanks

Zachary

~Z~

Cell - 214-317-7822
Email [email protected]
Work 972-231-2600 (Courtesy Nissan)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just wanted to let everyone know - I read a post last night about extended warranties and it got me thinking.

SO - I asked my General Manager(at Courtesy Nissan) what kind of deal I could give people for an extended warranty? He said that I could sell any of the extended warranties for the 350Z Coupe & Roadster for $50 over our cost.

If you are interested please let me know so that I can give you more details.

Example::

Gold Preferred

84 Months - 100,000 miles

$0 Deductible

Cost $1668 + $50 = $1718

$50 Deductible

Cost $1395 +$50 = $1445

I spoke with someone earlier that was quoted $2900 for the $0 deductile!

Thanks

Zachary

~Z~

Cell - 214-317-7822
Work - 972-231-2600

email - [email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a description of what is covered in the Gold Preferred package? Thanks in advance for the information...Dan

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do but I left at work? Sorry. I will post what is covered or you can email me and I will email you back. I will also get more information on the other plans. I only got cost on the gold preferred.

Thanks

Zach

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm interested. Would the warranty transfer down the road if I sold the car? I bought my Z very slightly used. NissanUSA told me that the car had an extended warranty but, it would not transfer over to me. Just curious.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If it's like other warranties, if you sell it, you get a prorated amount back...

Do the warranties need to be purchased before the original nissan warranty runs out?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yes, you can always cancel an extended waranty.

yes I believe that you need to purchase the warranty before the regular warranty is up

~Z~

·
Registered
5 Posts
[/quote]
I just purchased a 350z roadster about a week ago. I bought the gold prefered plan 84mo/100k miles at 2995. I was wondering if there is anyway I can cancel the current extended warranty I have and purchase the same warranty from you for 1718. If so, how do I go about doing this?

Thank you

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is a great deal you guys! Jump on this if you can.

I personally got a 6 yr/100,000 Nissan Gold Preffered Extended warranty, plus 5yr protection for windshield, wheels and tires (up to $2500 for wheel/tire damage). All of this was essentially free when everything was said and done in terms of OTD price when I bought my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep in mind that you have until the last day or last mile of your manufactures warranty(which ever comes first) to purchase the extended warranty. Also, the amount of time your car in the dealer for warranty work doesn't count against you. For example, if your Z is in the shop for 7 days, the warranty is extended 7 days beyond when it would normally expire. Most people don't know this fact.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I was aware of the "extension" of the warranty...in CA you warranty is extended from the time you notify the seller until the repairs are made...became aware of that fact when dealing with Catalina Sailboats where it took six months to get a problem resolved from the date I notified them...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts