Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting.

It's rumored - emphasis on rumored - that Nissan may very well build a Z with the 4.5L VK45DE V8 and go racing. The Z has enjoyed GT success with the turbo VQ V6 but a production equivalent does not exist limiting their options for competition globally.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
if an inline 6 fits in the Z's engine bay (as RB26 conversions have proved) a V8 surely will fit as well. If u think the Z understeers now, wait till u put even more weight over the front axle line

i dont think this will be an immediate thing, Nissan will have the GTR as priority no.1 for a while still

·
Registered
258 Posts
is this the same as the 4.5 infiniti Q45 motor ??

theres a guy around my area who has a 1980 ish Z, not sure if 280 or what.. anyway hes put a worked and turboed infiniti 4.5l in it and its unbelievable..

sounds friggen mean as and obliterates my 350z.. showed me the dyno - 422kw at the rears.. very nice !!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I spoke to Simon at Nizpro and he loved that infinity engine... he wouldn't mind to put one in the zed too and make it all works! When I was in his workshop 2 weeks ago, I saw the infinity v8 engine in one of the speed boat that he and his mates are building at the moment, it simply looks stunning with those tuned length headers! I would really want to see that happens though...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've had some people suggest I run the 4.5L V8 too.

People have bored them out to 6.0L and made a lot of "lazy" power out of the engine.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
wow...that would be a major kick ass.
but i am sure that the price range will be just as big.
lovely looking car though for both the skyline and the 450

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
:cheers: Years ago there was a co. here called Scarab that specialized in Chevy V-8 conversions for 246/60/80Z...LOTS of weight way out front, ....but HOLD ON!

I hope they build it. N/a or turbo would be fine by me. :shiftdrive:

There's no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by lionkiller@Sep 3 2005, 01:56 AM

There's plenty of replacement for displacement.

If you're talking drag strip, the fastest piston engined cars in the world are all FI.

If you're talking circuit racing, I'd rather pull out weight than increase power (as a way of improving my power / weight ratio), since it provide benefits to braking and cornering too.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Talking about displacment, Nismo Pete is building (has built) a 4L engine, but it's for racing only. He's using AEBS sleaves, but he has stock crank. You could get a 3.8L engine with darton sleaves.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by mchapman@Sep 3 2005, 03:48 AM
Turbos are the replacement for displacement :)
[snapback]152174[/snapback]​

:cheers: The enhancement for displacement :nana:

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Originally posted by scathing+Sep 3 2005, 03:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lionkiller
@Sep 3 2005, 01:56 AM

There's plenty of replacement for displacement.

If you're talking drag strip, the fastest piston engined cars in the world are all FI.

If you're talking circuit racing, I'd rather pull out weight than increase power (as a way of improving my power / weight ratio), since it provide benefits to braking and cornering too.
[snapback]152251[/snapback]​

Have to disagree here... there is no replacement for displacement. Anything you do to a smaller displacement motor, you can do to a larger displacement motor and get more power.

Add FI to a 3.5L motor to equal the output of 6.0L motor? Well, then apply the same amount of boost to the 6.0L motor and it still wins in power production.

The question is what is practical, but do not be fooled more displacement is always better if you want more power.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by mcduck@Sep 7 2005, 06:23 AM
Have to disagree here... there is no replacement for displacement.  Anything you do to a smaller displacement motor, you can do to a larger displacement motor and get more power.

re·place·ment
n. The act or process of replacing or of being replaced; substitution.

Source: Webster's dictionary (i.e. American English)

replacement

noun the action or process of replacing someone or something

Source: Oxford English Dictionary (i.e. UK / Australian English)

I just want to make sure we're working with the same terminology before I continue. I would also quote the Australian Macquarie Dictionary separately, but the site is subscription only. The OED will suffice, though.

If you want to go about comparing the power outputs of FI 4.5L engine to a FI 6.0L.....please enlighten me as to where the "replacement" is in that situation.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But, to use the term "replacement" by its actual definition, I'd bet on a light tune turbo 4 against a NA V6/V8 assuming the power outputs were the same.

The small turbo motor will weigh the same to less, all else being approximately equal (so no comparing some cast iron I4 against an all alloy V6). which reduces the overall mass of the car.

The turbo 4 will have a lower overall fuel consumption. If you're going to go flat knacker a turbo will drink like a large capacity NA motor, but if you back off it uses fuel like a low capacity NA motor. Given the same sized fuel tank, the turbo will go farther before needing a refuel.

Admittedly the small displacement turbo motor won't be as drivable at low throttle inputs. A lack of torque off boost, and compression lag when you're trying to modulate the throttle, means the engine will be less responsive when you're babying it around unless you engage in exotic (and component damaging) workarounds.

In that respect there's no replacement for displacement. But, for a sports car in situ, you're not trying to punt it around at quarter throttle in the bottom third of your rev range anyway.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you read the contexts that they I made those comments in, they still stand.

Most of the Top Fuellers and Top Doorslammers I've seen still run supercharged engines.

And, on the track, if I had to bet on a head-to head sprint featuring a 1.8L Lotus Elise against a 3.5L 350Z, with their power / weight ratios within of each other 0.01hp/ton, I don't think the distance between them at the finish line could be explained by the Lotus' negligible power advantage.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by mcduck@Sep 7 2005, 06:23 AM
but do not be fooled more displacement is always better if you want more power.

If you want to break it down to first principles, more oxygen and fuel is better if you want more power. How you get that all that oxygen (displacement, intake charge compression, chemical injection) is up to you.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by scathing+Sep 6 2005, 04:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mcduck
@Sep 7 2005, 06:23 AM
but do not be fooled more displacement is always better if you want more power.

If you want to break it down to first principles, more oxygen and fuel is better if you want more power. How you get that all that oxygen (displacement, intake charge compression, chemical injection) is up to you.
[snapback]153051[/snapback]​

:dunno: What I was trying to say was all other ins & outs being equal, more displacement means more power....& look what happened! :rolf2: :goodtimes: :lmfao:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
good point on the sports car Scathing

why you would want a big heavy engine hanging over the front wheels with poor weight distribution equaling understeer and no mechanical grip, and making peak power at 3000rpm. That aint a sports car, thats a US sports car

look at Ferrari, the 430 will outlap a 550 anyday, even though its down 4 cylinders and x amount of hp

1 - 20 of 21 Posts