Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I purchased a spoiler from http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mv...ory_Code=BSC09F

Looking at it there are 6 spots where it should be secured to the trunk. Now when I was doing some research all the pics show the outer wing tips being off of the trunk or just above it. The body shop I found in Newport News VA has some experience with body kits but he did not inspire me with confidence. So I want to get as much info I can to help the guys out so its done w/o and problems. I called the guys at zcarparts service dept and they said they where drain holes. If that is so why are they threaded like the holes on the base? Why is there 6 screws in the package? (yes I know this might be a dumb question but I have not seen a pic of the wing where the tips are secured to the trunk along with the base)

Thanks,

Paullus

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well I have a Nismo wing and it has the wing tips loose on both sides. I think it was meant to be that way on most that I have seen anyway. Also would recommend taking the deck lid weight out when they install and let the extra weight of the wing act as the deck lid weight. If not the lid does not like to stay up long and will close all by itself. I took the weight out and it just fine now. You can find the weight on the inner side of the deck lid after the cover is removed. It looks like a bat with it's wings spread 4 bolts I think and it is off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a nismo replica from reddogmotorsports and it only had four bolts. I used the two sided tape at the wing tips to help secure them down. My install was quite simple and I did it myself. DataSpike should have a template to help you drill the holes in the correct place. I may have it still, I'll have to look. If you want it PM me and I will look for it and email it to you. Ask all the questions you want and I will do my best to answer them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
4 bolts hold the two pieces together, and there are 5 (on the real NISMO wing) bolts that hold the whole thing to the car if I remember. The tips are defiantely not attached.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to remove that weight. Better than replacing the shocks.

z_man46- I PMed DataSpike a couple of weeks ago about the template.
He emailed me it the next day. (Thanks DataSpike!)

-Dissident- the base of the wing has 4 open holes that are used to secure the wing it's self. then it has 4 threaded holes to attach it to the trunk. the wing has 2 threaded holes in the tips. So thats 6 screws that will be used to attach it to the trunk lid. Just wondering if anyone who has this wing as the tips attached to the trunk?

Thanks for the help,
-Paullus

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey guys... glad to hear my name is being passed around with praise. :)

I want to buy the same wing myself, but I have no idea where to get it from. I don't want the US version that "Bow's" or doesn't line up with the lid edge, so I guess the Replica is the one for me to go for. Any comments/suggestions on where to get it? Price would be helpful as well. Also, I am concerned with the edges of the spoiler rubbing on the deck lid. Is there enough clearence where this will not happen or will it take some work for the bodyshop to modify?

And btw, I still have the template if anyone else needs it.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
254 Posts
well as I said earlier I got mine from reddogmotorsports on E-bay....I got it for $130 I think. As far as the wing tips touching, mine were very close to the hatch lid so I went ahead and put a small piece of two sided tape between the tip and lid. I do recommend that once you have yours installed that you put some RTV/silicon around the bolts and in the holes you drilled. I produces a small leak and just filled all the holes from the inside with some clear RTV.....no leak since. Also being that mine was a replica the template wasn't exactly on the dot. I put the bolts on my wing and then placed the template on my wing to make sure they bolts matched up...they were a little off. Another problem that I came across is that the base of the wing is curved so the bolts will actually angle in so you have to drill the holes 1-2mm closer to the center of the car. Otherwise you are going to think it won't fit and you will end up having to modify the holes you drilled.

I can't think of anything else right now. Feel free to ask any other questions if you need to.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Can you post a pic of this thing? I'm curious to see how it compares to the Nismo one, since it defiantely sounds different...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm going to an AutoX this weekend and will take some pics. I'll try to have them up by Tuesday because Monday is a holiday for me.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
my tips do not touch at all, there is about 1/8" space there so i placed some one sided padded tape in there to prevent any paint rubbing or rattling from the tips hitting the rear deck. I also used the 3M acrylic plus tape instead of that crappy foam tape they sent with the spoiler. Not only does it hold better that sucker has not budged a bit in 7 + months.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Can someone give me a specific website where I can find a replica? With my recent body damage, figure now is the best time to have them paint and install a wing, as I am already going in there for that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I called 1800nissan1 and had a nice little chat. The rep was saying that if you put on a body kit it null and voids the full warranty for the car. If you add any mods to the car they have to be from Nissan and installed by Nissan. Now I know NISMO make a kit out there so if their kit is ok but the one I want which is smaller is a no go. Or is a full warranty void the price you must pay if you want a body kit?

V/R,

-Paullus

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Nissan rep is talking out their ass...

There is ABSOLUTELY no way a bodykit will void a warranty unless it can be PROVEN that is what caused a failure. If they were to void your warranty, they better be prepared to name the dealership after you.

Ignorant pricks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to the shop and took some pics of the spoiler so you all can see what I am talking about. (first time posting pics ;)

As you can see there are 6 threaded holes. 4 for the base and 2 on the wing tips. Thank you once again for the advice all.
-Paullus

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wow... that's looks like a great quality replica. Congrats. I hope the Techno replica that I ordered looks that good.

Chris

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here's a few pics...

I hope this works it's the first time I've post "high quality" pics.

Ok, finally figured it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts