Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking aout installing the NISMO shocks on my Z, I want the car to sit a bit lower, keep the warranty and everything. If I purchased the shocks say from Jeff at Performance (or another authorized Nismo dealer) if I wanted to keep my warranty, could I install the shocks myself. I am guessing not, so if not, how much would any guess it cost to have a dealer do it? Thanks in advance.

Brett

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Installing them yourself does not void a warranty. What does your dealer say?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I read on the other forum that someone installed the Nismo coilovers and they didn't get a ride height change (measured, not just the eye). I think this was due to them being new and not having time to break in. You would have to give it time and miles to notice a difference.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I always thought that you had to have an authorized dealer install your Nismo stuff in order for them to be covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
it is the part itself that is covered if i am not mistaken, not from it being on the car

·
Registered
351 Posts
[/quote]

Of course that's what most dealers will say. I believe the warranty is different (only 12 months if you do it yourself), but half the service people I've talked to don't know what NISMO is, even at dealerships that sell the [email protected] :headshake:

There is definately a height difference; I notice it every time I park next to a stock Z.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nissan spells things out in no uncertain terms. The ONLY way you will have warranty protection with the S-tune suspension if to buy the suspension from a authorized dealer and to have a authorized dealer install the suspension. Their is no other way to icome up with a different answer. Anyone can read that Nissan has to say on the matter, it is posted on the Nismo USA corporate web site for everyone to read.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
[/quote]
This is the correct response. Having an S-Tune part installed by an authorized dealer will maintain your factory warranty. Having it installed any other way will void your warranty for that part, and any problems caused by the part won't be covered by the factory warranty.

As far as the install cost goes, I have no idea how much it costs, but you could PM either Jason or Tony from Performance and they should be able to tell you

·
Registered
351 Posts
That's not the policy NNA quoted me over the phone and that I have seen other places on the web. Her'e sone article:

SEMA: Nissan unveils 1st Nismo car

By Mark Rechtin
Automotive News / November 11, 2002

The 350Z, modified with Nismo performance parts, has an exhaust system that increases horsepower to 295 and torque to 280 pounds-feet.

LAS VEGAS -- One year after revealing plans to expand its performance-parts operation called Nismo, Nissan North America showed a 350Z heavily modified with Nismo parts.

The car features an exhaust system that increases horsepower to 295 and torque to 280 pounds-feet. The 350Z also has a high-performance air filter and oil cooler, lightweight flywheel, limited-slip differential and racing clutch. The suspension has improved coil springs, shocks and sway bars. An aero kit is included.

But Ron Stukenberg, Nissan senior manager of motorsports marketing and operations, said Nissan is not expecting to sell Nismo trim-level vehicles soon - although that eventually may happen. Rather, the Nismo 350Z merely serves as an example of what a creative parts department customer can produce. Dealers will install factory-backed Nismo parts, but Stukenberg expects a good number of over-the-counter transactions as well.

"This will not be a smattering of parts. Nismo will cover everything someone can use on the streets, as well as off-highway," Stukenberg said. "We have been selling Nismo parts for off-highway use for years. Now we are expanding."

By off-highway, Stukenberg does not mean off-road. Rather, if a part is too high-spec to be street-legal because of emissions or safety requirements, Nismo will sell those parts for racing use only.

Nismo is a truncation of Nissan Motorsports.

"We're dealing with true performance stuff, not just color and trim packages. This is how you enhance the brand," Stukenberg said.

For the first year or so, Nissan will concentrate on establishing Nismo for the Nissan brand. Infiniti will get Nismo parts only for the G35 sedan and coupe, then must wait to get more "R Spec" parts, Stukenberg said.

The Nismo parts will carry the factory warranty. If installed by a dealer, the part will be covered as long as the vehicle is in warranty. If installed by a customer, the part will have a one-year, 12,000-mile warranty.

Stukenberg said Nissan can stand behind those parts because they are proven Japanese domestic market parts, rather than newly conscripted pieces from a new supplier source.

·
Registered
351 Posts
And as stated here:
http://www.performancenissanparts.com/warranty.html

HOW LONG IS THE WARRANTY?
Except for replacement audio components, this warranty is for 12,000 miles or 12 months from the date of installation or purchase, whichever is earlier. However, the warranty on Genuine Nissan replacement parts, Genuine NISMO S-tune parts, and Genuine Nissan accessories installed in a Nissan or Infiniti vehicle while the vehicle is covered by a Nissan warranty, which would have covered the part had it been installed in the vehicle at manufacture, will not end before the end of that warranty.
Can you point out where on the nissan website it says dealers have to install it? I can't find it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks alot guys, I appreciate all the help. I am not quite satisfied with ride height and would like a little drop, nothing radical or anything that will know the camber out of whack, so it looks like the NISMO is the way to go. I guess I will pony up and have an authorized dealer install them as I woudn't want to pay for the NISMO and then take the chance that they will void out my warranty. Thanks alot for all of the help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As long as you purchase the NISMO Suspension from an "AUTHORIZED NISMO DEALER" (Nissan Dealer) Then the suspension is covered under warranty for 1 year 12000 miles.

It is a Parts warranty which can be done over the front parts counter or by the service department.

If the problem was caused by a miss install then it will not becovered if they were installed by the customer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts