Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been doing alot of reading on the Nismo parts and talked to some locals about the Nismo aftermarket items. My questions that have had me pondering the past couple of days are, do the nismo parts have significant changes in performance compared to other similiar parts on the market, and also for the price of the nismo parts is it worth it. If there is anyone that has anything nismo also, any information would be great. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I just bought and installed the Nismo exhaust. Excellent build quality and fit. Complete kit with all gaskets and hardware.

As for better than other stuff on the market... I'm sure it is better than some, and I know it is as good as the best as far as quality. As for power, who knows. Every application is different. I know the exhaust made a nice improvement in mid and top power on my car. And it's not too loud but does sound great.

All of the other Nismo parts I have seen have been of equally high quality.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Nismo where they may be quality, do not have the same power adding potential for the price as other quality aftermarket parts. Basically a lot of their stuff is overpriced for the performance gains.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I have Nismo exhaust, headers, intake, and flywheel. It is all very nice stuff, however, like everyone else has said, there are other similar setups that do not cost as much but produce similar gains. I just like Nismo :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Sport compact mag did a nice comparison of Stock vs Nismo Z, simply do a search on aol or google for "Sport Compact Nismo 350z road test review" this should answer your question.
Don't forget there are parts on the NISMO Z that aren't normal issue NISMO parts. Supposedly the frame is considerably stiffer, which helps out the handling considerably.

~Pat

·
Registered
52 Posts
There isn't any Nismo parts on that "Nismo Z" when compared to the same year "regular Z." They pulled the frame off the factory line and send it to a contractor to hand-weld some reinforcements, then add some exclusive body pieces to make the "Nismo Z." They are mechanically identical to the regular ones.

The commercially available Nismo parts for Z's aren't even in the Nismo Z, such as intake system, exhaust, camshafts, wheels, etc. Simply put, they did some changes to the frame and body, and stuck the Nismo nameplate on it and called it done.

In the end it makes for an awkward scenario where an official Nismo Z does not have any official Nismo parts that are made for Z's...

They should call it the Autech Z. I think that's the name of the company that does the welding to the frames. They are a well known organization that does frame prep work for JGTC and other Japanese racing venues, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have the Nismo clutch, and I can definitely tell a difference over the stock clutch, but I'm sure anyone could tell the difference in a higher clamping clutch over stock.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I think the Nismo products are excellent quality, but there is always going to be something just as good if not better out there.

I wish I could have all Nismo parts on my Z, so it could have that theme to it, but I'm not going to pay for the name either.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
There isn't any Nismo parts on that "Nismo Z" when compared to the same year "regular Z." They pulled the frame off the factory line and send it to a contractor to hand-weld some reinforcements, then add some exclusive body pieces to make the "Nismo Z." They are mechanically identical to the regular ones.

The commercially available Nismo parts for Z's aren't even in the Nismo Z, such as intake system, exhaust, camshafts, wheels, etc. Simply put, they did some changes to the frame and body, and stuck the Nismo nameplate on it and called it done.

In the end it makes for an awkward scenario where an official Nismo Z does not have any official Nismo parts that are made for Z's...

They should call it the Autech Z. I think that's the name of the company that does the welding to the frames. They are a well known organization that does frame prep work for JGTC and other Japanese racing venues, if I'm not mistaken.
the wheels are NISMO
the suspension is NISMO
the exhaust system was made for that car, and is NISMO

so there are more than just "frame and body" done to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The wheels technically say Nismo on them, but are not the commercially available Nismo wheels we've all seen.

The suspension is not Nismo brand. Autech made adjustments to the existing dampers. So it goes back to my point about the car being better named Autech Z.

The exhaust is not the Nismo system we've all seen and a lot of us have. The exhaust on the "Nismo Z" has larger tips, but the "Nismo Z" produces the same HP as the regular Z. An exhaust system with only different tips isn't really a different "Nismo" exhaust system.

My original point was that even if you could call these special parts of the "Nismo Z" Nismo parts, they aren't what you'd get if you bought Nismo parts to put on your Z. I stand corrected about them technically being different from parts on a regular Z. But for example if you take the exhaust system off of a "Nismo Z" and compared to a Nismo brand exhaust made for a Z, you would not be looking at the same system.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The wheels technically say Nismo on them, but are not the commercially available Nismo wheels we've all seen.

The suspension is not Nismo brand. Autech made adjustments to the existing dampers. So it goes back to my point about the car being better named Autech Z.

The exhaust is not the Nismo system we've all seen and a lot of us have. The exhaust on the "Nismo Z" has larger tips, but the "Nismo Z" produces the same HP as the regular Z. An exhaust system with only different tips isn't really a different "Nismo" exhaust system.

My original point was that even if you could call these special parts of the "Nismo Z" Nismo parts, they aren't what you'd get if you bought Nismo parts to put on your Z. I stand corrected about them technically being different from parts on a regular Z. But for example if you take the exhaust system off of a "Nismo Z" and compared to a Nismo brand exhaust made for a Z, you would not be looking at the same system.
I went with a nismo exhaust set up, I certainly enjoy the new set up, however I must say I can't really feel a significant improvement over the oem exhaust. But then again I never took my Z past 120, not sure if it makes a difference after that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude, how the actual **** did you find this 13 years old thread? I guess you must be a little desperate huh. Actually i do understand you as i am also pretty much of desperate. I am building a project right now out of an old fairlady z, trying to bring to her the 2 life. And i cannot find some original or atleast some proper parts. I was looking for a little cap for like half a year. Still, the one i got is not good. The only place i found some proper parts was on Car Wreckers Perth – Wrecking Vehicle, Car Parts & Spares at WA Auto Parts!. Even though, they also do not have all the parts i need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts