Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You must be thinking the same thing I am. Crate motor drop it in my 03 (because it is the lightest model). I read somewhere that the S2 model cost 48K though so that motor may be out of reach for me.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
You must be thinking the same thing I am. Crate motor drop it in my 03 (because it is the lightest model). I read somewhere that the S2 model cost 48K though so that motor may be out of reach for me.
What are you going to use to control it? S2 ECU also? Japanese ECU? (no emmisions)

more difficult than it seems.

Why not just buy cams, valve springs, intake, exhaust, headers, etc.. and have it tuned via whatever method you desire? (ems, ecu flash, piggy back)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enthusiast but you may be right about the ECU. I thought the JDM versions were now set up for pollution control because Japan has gotten strict about that.

The reason that I don't want to go the build up method is because by the time you buy all the parts and pay the labor, you will have the cost of the new motor in your old one. This engine is not one of the easier ones to work on. Besides, if you buy a crate motor you can recoup a big part of the motor cost by selling your motor to someone who has blown thiers up with FI or something.

Actually I am just dreaming. I am satisfied with the power that mine makes. But almost 40 extra HP would be real nice!

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Enthusiast but you may be right about the ECU. I thought the JDM versions were now set up for pollution control because Japan has gotten strict about that.

The reason that I don't want to go the build up method is because by the time you buy all the parts and pay the labor, you will have the cost of the new motor in your old one. This engine is not one of the easier ones to work on. Besides, if you buy a crate motor you can recoup a big part of the motor cost by selling your motor to someone who has blown thiers up with FI or something.

Actually I am just dreaming. I am satisfied with the power that mine makes. But almost 40 extra HP would be real nice!

Cool.. I'm an 05 enthusiast, and was 3195lb. from factory. Down to at leats 3050 now.

power = money ;) Getting that S1 or S2 motor, is more than you'd guess. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hey ills have you decided on cams yet???

or are you still trying to chose one.

just curious.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Hey ills have you decided on cams yet???

or are you still trying to chose one.

just curious.

Depends on whether I go with FI or not. I am also considering waiting to touch any thing internal. If I'm going in, I'm going to want to replace everything top to bottom.

If I stay NA , I'm going to get a larger intake cams. Lately I've been thinking about just staying NA and seeing what I can get out of it. Maybe add headwork; cams, p&p. I don't really need 380whp ++. Even on the track.

Either Tomei or Nismo either way I go. Probably Nismo with FI (or 256 Tomei) and Tomei (268) if I stay NA.

IMO, people can't drive 287hp, let alone 400whp+. I only wanted more power for track use. But I don't really need more power, there is a bit more I can squeeze out for now. And I still plan on doing the 3.9 Central 20 Final Drive. Which will help quite a bit. Along with aiming for 3000lb curb weight.

Richie has really inspired me to stay NA. It's what I bought the vehicle for to begin with. I have 2 turbo charged toys already. And just bought another bike.

HTH,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts