Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got a hold of a block finally couldn't get anyone locally to part with one but finally got it. I am planning on building this one for my car hopefully no one tempts me by wanting to buy it before I get it in, but should be getting some more blocks as I want to get a couple of them built anyway.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. How are you building this one?
Thnking of doing just the small block with 9.0 CR, I was set on Pauter or Carillo rods but will look into the Eagles now that they are out considering their price, and as for pistons I know everyone loves the Arias but will look into the Ross or CP which we have used in the shop's EVO probably with a 0.020 OB and thinking about sleeves but not sure yet. I will probably leave the heads alone but add cams. I will have a lot of homework and I know myself, I will analize it to death.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
If I were to build I would go CP and Pauter. I used JE in the past with good results. I don't care for Eagle or love the Arias.

Thanks for sharing westpak.

Share your homework and headwork reading on the VQ

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Do they make a piston with a taller top 'land' than the stock?....would probably increase reliability under boost...lessen risk of 'chunking' under detonation -or close conditions...

Good to see some bottom ends being built. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The piston we designed is made my Arias as an extreme duty piston. The top ring land is twice as thick as stock. It's by far, the strongest piston on the market for the VQ35. Probably overkill for the sub 600whp crowd, but it really bullet proofs the rotating assemble.

Hey Gus, we are WD with Arias, Pauter, and Darton so shoot me a PM if you shop wants to start using these parts in the future.

I'll try and grab a picture later..its on the other computer.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The piston we designed is made my Arias as an extreme duty piston. The top ring land is twice as thick as stock. It's by far, the strongest piston on the market for the VQ35. Probably overkill for the sub 600whp crowd, but it really bullet proofs the rotating assemble.
Hey Gus, we are WD with Arias, Pauter, and Darton so shoot me a PM if you shop wants to start using these parts in the future.

I'll try and grab a picture later..its on the other computer.
After doing some reading I think that is they way I am going to go with those three, next decision is how big to bore out the sleeves.

So far I have the heads/lower & upper oil pans off but have to go on a trip so have to leave it for now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
After doing some reading I think that is they way I am going to go with those three, next decision is how big to bore out the sleeves.

So far I have the heads/lower & upper oil pans off but have to go on a trip so have to leave it for now.

Like all things, there is a trade-off. The Darton sleeves can be bored out to 100m, but you will loose about 2mm of headgasket sealing area all the way around each cylinder. So the larger you go, the higher than chances of head gasket failure. Until someone puts 20psi+ into a Darton sleeve at 100mm, we wont know for sure...but Darton claims the head gasket will hold. You might also consider doing a 98mm or 99mm bore, so in the unlikely event you have engine failure, you will still be able to bore out the sleeves a little bit more to clean up the mess.

Here are some pics of the Arias Extreme Duty pistons.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just an FYI.

I used CP pistons 8.5:1, Carillo H beam rods, Ferrea valvetrain (stock size), AEBS Sleeves, JWT cams and stock headgaskets. I don't know yet but depending on what my engine builder wants to do, he might ring the deck. The heads and intake runner underneath the manifold have been ported and polished. The valves, bearings and pistons were all coated with full treatment from High Performance Coatings. I will also use the Nismo oil pump and thermostat. I plan on going to around 900rwhp or more...

I think the only weak point in the engine is the headgaskets, but when I spoke to Andrew Rubio from Performance Motorsports, he told me that they have made 1300rwhp? while using the stock headgaskets. I don't know what the major reason the stock headgasket isn't as good as an aftermarket one, so I don't think that it is needed. Maybe if other people have blown a stock headgasket they can chime in.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Very nice. Good luck with the build up, i'm sure it will be a beast.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I didn't blow the stock head gasket but when I was going through the build up process whats a little bit more money for aftermarket head gaskets. I used the cometic and they seem very nice. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
131 Posts
wow this thread sounds like a very interesting one to follow....all these big # Z's being built....I must learn the winning combination of parts:lol:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think the only weak point in the engine is the headgaskets, but when I spoke to Andrew Rubio from Performance Motorsports, he told me that they have made 1300rwhp? while using the stock headgaskets. I don't know what the major reason the stock headgasket isn't as good as an aftermarket one, so I don't think that it is needed. Maybe if other people have blown a stock headgasket they can chime in.
We've been doing some experimenting, and the current block, stud, head package wont hold much more than 19psi without spilling combustion gasses into the cooling system (if your coolant overflows the resevoir, your headgasket is in the process of failing). The issue is related to head seating, but what is unclear is which component needs to be addressed....or maybe all of them

1) Stock OEM Head Gasket
2) Stock open deck block
3) APR studs

Some of my theories include the follwing

1) Open deck design and its related weakness
2) The ARP studs are on the small side of things
3) Maybe the OEM head gasket is weak?
4) Becuase its not feasible to re-trq the ARP's, maybe they are loosening up a little bit?

Performance Motorsporst uses oversized 1/2 inch studs on their race blocks. In the 300zx world, they have given up on studs, and use the stock bolts, since they can be trqed down to 200ft/lbs, and they done back out.

At this point, with my project block, I will be addressing all three areas, and hopefully the heads wont lift, and the gasket holds togeher. Guess we'll have to see. :)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man this has taken longer than I had expected but the sleeves really slowed the process down, then the machine shop that balanced it and caged the bearings took a little longer than I expected but finally got it back and put the short block together, next will be the heads which I hope to have next week. The longest time was also making sure I had all of th eparts I needed, I wanted to build a longblock to avoid down time with mine but I think I have everything.

Here are some shots, you can click on thumbnail for larger pic, the first few were with phone so not great.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts