Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I owned a 280zx back in the mid - 90s. Loved that car. I vowed to buy another one day. I recently purchased a bone stock 2004 350z convertible, with 60,000 miles. I'm already living the new one. I plan to keep it stock-ish. I would mind adding a little extra umph. Some of the FB pages are more concerned about wheels and bumpers. I'm contemplating small changes like air filter /intake and maybe a plenum spacer. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Congrats on getting your Z.
Welcome back!

On giving your car some extra umph,keep in mind that the Z in stock form has
quite a bit of power. The bolt-ons you have mentioned and others such as exhaust changes
are not going to give you tire smoking performance. Unless you are interested in the
"looks value" of some of these mods,there are some options (at a lower cost) to give you the
same,albeit minimal results. I suggest dropping a K&N filter in the stock air box instead of
a intake change. A plenum spacer is a good idea as part of the recipe. Look at high flow cats(HFC's).
Run these with the stock exhaust for awhile. May be add a cat back system after that. Keep in
mind,the car will be much louder.
When you get all your stuff done,get a tune to get the car working to it's max potential.

If you do get the bug to get out of "small" changes,FI(supercharger/turbo)is the route to go
for real performance. Real money also. About 10k+++.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The intake mods are expensive and return very little - I agree with Euro, just throw a K&N filter into the stock air box. The plenum spacer is a good option.

When I bought my 350Z I drove 10 of them, 2 had (equal length) exhaust headers and high flow CAT's (not sure if they had an ECU tune), these two were noticeably more responsive that the stock cars. Good headers will cost ~$1k and it's an 8 hour installation job, then there is the $600 ECU tune, so it's a significant outlay.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Worth it? YES

The intake mods are expensive and return very little - I agree with Euro, just throw a K&N filter into the stock air box. The plenum spacer is a good option.

When I bought my 350Z I drove 10 of them, 2 had (equal length) exhaust headers and high flow CAT's (not sure if they had an ECU tune), these two were noticeably more responsive that the stock cars. Good headers will cost ~$1k and it's an 8 hour installation job, then there is the $600 ECU tune, so it's a significant outlay.
I've gone full bore on the the bolt on route.
Besides a intake,plenum spacer,I have:Mines throttle body ,Nismo cam set,
HFC's,Nismo S-tune exhaust,full dyno tune,Transgo trans valve too.
Headers are a waste.Not worth the investment unless you are FI.

With all my stuff,I've added about 35whp.
I also have spent---lost count of the $$$$.

The car is much more "responsive". It is not a fire breathing tire smoker.
Best way to describe, the car just feels "lighter".

Its been fun doing all the mods.
But,I don't track the car. Its just one of a few vehicles I own.

Car guys just like doing stuff to their cars.
Some things never change.

They should not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I think I will throw a k&n in it, fill it with good, premium gas and drive it. I've heard the stock intake is designed to be fairly efficient. I will hold off on the spacer until spring. That will probably be it. I love spending time cleaning and detailing. I've had 60's muscle cars for years and have turned my share of wrenches. I'm more interested in driving my girls at this point in time. With the top down, this one is a blast.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Like EUROZ I have gone the bolt on route with many performance mods, plenum spacer, under drive pulley's, high flow cats, dual exhaust, CAI, and a uprev Osiris tune. Then I worked on some handling mods with adjustable sway bars, and larger 06' brakes. I also added 06' door panels that offered leather panels and cup holders. Not quite done with the appearance mods I installed day time running lighs and swapped both the the headlights and tail lights with black housings and smoked lenses. Yep, I have personalized my 05' roadster and enjoy every minute behide the wheel. I truly hope you do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts