Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new rims - I know some don't like chrome but I like 'em shiny!!! 17x8 all round (18's are to hard to drive in every day and I'm on the road a lot). Wheels are a new line - quite reasonable in cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
yes, they are small man, if you go for chrome should get 19" or 20"

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Didn't you have chromed OEM wheels before? I liked them better to be honest.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Each to their own!
I personally think they would have looked better as 18".
But as a daily driver the 17" with the higher profile tyres make a difference

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Tuff crowd.

They arent any smaller than the touring model wheels and as they are 8" wide they should handle better.

Do you have the car lowered?

I have my stock touring wheels with the car lowered around an inche and it makes the wheels look like they fit better. Although you mentioned ride quality so I wouldnt lower it too far and I would recomend progressive springs so they are soft when dirving normally but they become harder when they are compressed further.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree with mchapman on the lowering, but I would recommend linear springs (which the oem are). Linear stay at the same rating all the time which makes the car more predictable especially useful when high speed cornering thru twisties. Progressive will give you better ride at slower speeds, but because they are progressive and the spring rates change as they compress further, it makes them less predictable thru those tight left to right twisters that the zed loves so much.
Otherwise I think Nissan would have fitted progressive springs as standard to address that 'harsh' around town ride.
This car was built for the track!

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you want the comfortable ride, shouldn't get the Zed, As Micky said, our car is build for track or performance, you can't talk abt too much comfortable here. Btw, I think the stock rims and tyres are comfortable enough for daily driving even on 18". If you spend the money to make the Zed more comfort to drive, you shouldn't spend on the rims, u should spend on the seat.(eg. lower support) :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I agree with mchapman on the lowering, but I would recommend linear springs (which the oem are). Linear stay at the same rating all the time which makes the car more predictable especially useful when high speed cornering thru twisties. Progressive will give you better ride at slower speeds, but because they are progressive and the spring rates change as they compress further, it makes them less predictable thru those tight left to right twisters that the zed loves so much.

Considering he mentioned ride quality was the reason behind getting those 17" wheels I think Progressive rate springs would be better suited to his requirements as they will be more forgiving around town.

Otherwise I think Nissan would have fitted progressive springs as standard to address that 'harsh' ride around town.
This car was built for the track!

In Japan the 350z wouldnt have a 'harsh' ride. The 350z was designed for Japans roads which dont have any potholes but alas its a different story in Australia.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by mchapman@Dec 17 2004, 06:31 PM
Tuff crowd.

They arent any smaller than the touring model wheels and as they are 8" wide they should handle better.

Do you have the car lowered?

I have my stock touring wheels with the car lowered around an inche and it makes the wheels look like they fit better. Although you mentioned ride quality so I wouldnt lower it too far and I would recomend progressive springs so they are soft when dirving normally but they become harder when they are compressed further.

What springs did you use?
Did you change the shock absorbers too?
I,m thinking of doing mine too with maybe coilovers?
regards
Steve

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I love the Z - harsh ride and all!

If the Z is your daily driver, then you should get yourself behind the wheel of any other car for a few days to realise the good points of the Z. I'm talking about the great steering response, the lack of body sway when changing lanes (not to mention directional changes in fast switchbacks), the feeling of effortless speed, the low tight seating position, the sound of the engine when being worked hard, the overall grip levels of the car etc etc etc.

Driving a regular car makes you appreciate the Z, including its suspension set up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeh any car I drive nowadays feels like the tyres are flat haha !!! that and the suspension feels fooked cause of the body roll !!

·
Registered
785 Posts
KY150 I love my zed too!
But sometimes especially on a long freeway journey I wish I was in something else than the zed, my arse tends to get sore (not enough padding on my butt I guess)
This weekend I drove my wifes citroen c5 HDI (yes diesel) as we had a long haul! If the zed had a button that you could press that give it the C5 'freeway ride' it would be the perfect car.
If you haven't been in a citroen on a freeway doing 130-140kph (no not me officer) then it is hard to describe the ride. Basically you could eat (drink) a hot bowl of chicken & corn soup without spilling a drop!
BUT GIVE ME THE ZED ANYDAY! The chicks don't seem to look at you in the citroen!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
mickyboy - I tend to not take the Z for long freeway drives now that I have another sedan. I'm not sure how the LS400 compares to the Citreons freeway ride, but it feels very comfy to me.
The Z gets used on some weekdays and weekends and because it is no longer my daily driver, it tends to get driven thoroughly on the days it is driven, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
258 Posts
hehe my Z is my daily driver and gets driven thoroughly everyday haha.. thats why i love it so much !!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts