Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i loved your site from the first time i visited so i HAD to become a member. trust me, i NEED feedback. i am in college and don't have too much to spend, and i am having BIG trouble trying to decide if i should save up until after college for FI, or gradually do the typical NA mods. I am leaning toward NA, but everytime i see a TT or SC Z i am unsure all over again!!! are there any mods you would recommend doing that would be both FI and NA friendly until i decide??? for example, should i go with true dual exhaust because i heard that true dual is best for FI.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:yourock: :welcome: :cheers:

Do whatever you can afford to. Read up on all the applications first. Then make your move on an educated decision.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I agree with SmoothZ. there is a really great post in the newbie forum that has some great ideas, I have gone back and read this several times since it was posted. lots of really good thoughts and things to consider after reading.

Welcome to the Z and enjoy the 6MT

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
There are alot more questions to be answered than are included in your post. First start reading our site to see what mods are good in conjunction with forced induction. Buying a TT kit first thing is not the best thing to do and is going to cost you alot more than just the kit itself. For a TT setup installed and tuned correctly you are looking at 10k easily. However you could go with a single and you are still looking at 7-8k. Supercharger is 5-7k depending on how you go about things.

I am not trying to scare you, but just be aware that FI means more than just a kit. There is plenty you can buy now for spare change that will start prepping you and the car for boost:

Clutch
Flywheel
Plenum
Exhaust
Brakes
Sway Bars
Springs / Coilovers

That is a great place to start.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
should i go with true dual exhaust because i heard that true dual is best for FI
This is not always the case. If you go with a single turbo, then a single 3" exhaust will be easiest and lightest. For the single turbo kits I recommend the JIC 3" titanium exhaust. It only weighs 4 pounds! That shaves 50-55 lbs off the stock bottom end.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
This is not always the case. If you go with a single turbo, then a single 3" exhaust will be easiest and lightest. For the single turbo kits I recommend the JIC 3" titanium exhaust. It only weighs 4 pounds! That shaves 50-55 lbs off the stock bottom end.
Yep. Really depends on what FI system and how you want to pipe the exhaust out.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hmmm..in college? Be more concerned now with your grades! After you graduate, drive on. :irock:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
:welcome: to 350z-Tech.

If your Z is a daily driver...I would wait to introduce F/I until you graduate...if at all. As stated above...you can't go wrong with suspension and brake upgrades. Wider rubber can help with traction issues if you are set on additional horsepower later...and new wheels are popular first modification.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I'd go with the advice these guys posted above. Start with exhaust etc. that will be useful if you do decide to go FI in the future. Going FI is a big investment so gradually modding your car in the beginning until you are sure is a good way to go.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow, thanks guys for all the feedback. i love this forum! i am under the impression that ya'll think i don't know a thing or two about the Z. this is not really the case. i know for the most part what is out there, but what i need to know is opinions on what everyone recommends! i want this Z done up right. NA is what i am leaning toward though. i am only a freshman, so a FI would mean a LONG wait. i want power now, and that means without too much money! haha, don't i sound naive? like someone who just doesn't have patience? just kidding. i think that the Z has a great balance of power and handling stock, but i just want to improve upon these things. For NA how do these mods sound in the order o purchase (notice the increase in price as they go along...that is intentional considering i just dropped $420ish today on LEDS and HIDS)

1) test pipes megan? (resonated) <--kinda up in the air bc of the "carb legal" stuff...your thoughts
2) headers megan?
3) plenum (spacer or whole thing...maybe kintex?)
4) nismo exhaust (can't get a better sound...though borla comes close)

stuff i am confused about...is it worth it??

1) grounding kit (SO close to buying this today, but i have been hearing bad things about them in terms of HP gains...)
2) Pulleys (do they make a difference?)
3) Clutch
4) Flywheel
5) Cams

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trust me RUFDRAFT school is #1 right now. do u think i am a slacker, huh? let me just put it to you this way, i dont have the car with me at school bc i am at GU in DC and that would be **** on earth for the Z. plus, i would have to pay through the roof for parking. I just order mods and get them shipped to my dorm on my spare time. you know, nothing too big or anything. BUT, having a friend who can afford to park his 04 G35 on campus has its perks :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
The following post is my opinion:

1) test pipes megan? (resonated) <--kinda up in the air bc of the "carb legal" stuff...your thoughts

Def. not carb legal. I'm not a big fan of Megan. They are cheaper than most though.

2) headers megan?

There are lots of headers out there. Megan if you are on a budget. No dyno yet that I know of.

3) plenum (spacer or whole thing...maybe kintex?)

spacers are nice, good gains for the money. Kinetex? booooooo

4) nismo exhaust (can't get a better sound...though borla comes close)

If you like the Nismo.. That's all that matters. I disagree on best sounding.. But it's all preference.

stuff i am confused about...is it worth it??

1) grounding kit (SO close to buying this today, but i have been hearing bad things about them in terms of HP gains...)

Totally a waste of money. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than gaining more than 2hp with these.

2) Pulleys (do they make a difference?)

Yes they do. But which pullies? :) Are you referring to under/over driving something like a water pump? Or just replacement lighter weight?

3) Clutch

Lighter the better in my book for NA. If you aren't going FI for a while.. Perhaps just skip this until you need it though. And everybody seems to like a different type of clutch. You may not like what I like. Try others out before you buy.

4) Flywheel

Again, the lighter the better to me. I love super light fw. It is on my bang for buck list.

5) Cams

Def. not on my bang for buck list. But if you are staying NA and you want all the mods... OR if you are going FI.. wait until you have your kit picked out to match cams to it.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
i would stay away from Megan
dont seem like they are the type u wana put on a Z, plus consider paying a little more so u can get somehing good

"You get what you pay for"

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the speedy responses guys. in the near future i can def see plenum spacer, headers, and test pipes. maybe pulleys. let me know your recommendations for the best quality for the $. About over/under drive pulleys, let me know what you think about them, as well (i.e. which to go with and what company). Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
hey guys, i loved your site from the first time i visited so i HAD to become a member. trust me, i NEED feedback. i am in college and don't have too much to spend, and i am having BIG trouble trying to decide if i should save up until after college for FI, or gradually do the typical NA mods. I am leaning toward NA, but everytime i see a TT or SC Z i am unsure all over again!!! are there any mods you would recommend doing that would be both FI and NA friendly until i decide??? for example, should i go with true dual exhaust because i heard that true dual is best for FI.
True dual "without" some type of cross over or "H" pipe is best for F/I however for N/A I would reccomend and exhaust that mixes the two exhaust banks together at some point. The Borla True dual or Stillen true dual prove best for N/A...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts