Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, very glad to be here. I stumbled across this site and feel very lucky... the posts i've read so far seem very objective and looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Anyways, I own a Black 350z 03' no mods thus far. Looking to purchase the extended warranty towards the end of the original mft warranty.

Without getting into any debates about whether its a good idea or not, i'm wondering what exactly are the rules around adding things like new wheels, adding an in car computer/stereo, adding a turbo and new ECU chip etc... does it void my current warranty and does it negate/ void an extended warranty?

If anyone has a definitive answer, that would be great. In the meantime i'm waiting for the dealership i bought it from to call me back and hopefully they will have a straight answer. My guess is they will just say it will void the warranty but we'll see.

Thanks in advance,

-Knabber

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The general answer is the dealership needs to prove the mods you did to your car are the reason for something breaking or needing replaced. Example: adding aftermarket wheels are not going to give you an oil leak or electrical problems.

However if you add a turbo and something happens to your engine or drivetrain, you will be hard pressed to make them fix it under warranty.

On the extreme otherhand, there are quite a few dealerships that are willing to work with modded Z's and my recommendation is for you to find one and talk to them first.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
No stuff like that (aside from the turbo like josh said) will NOT void the warranty. If you end up having a problem, they have to prove beyond doubt that the aftermarket piece that you put on was the direct cause of the problem. Check out this page *link* that defines the law on this :cheers:

Breif outtake:

The Law

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used(see Attachment A).The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Toykilla and Jinxxy pretty much summed it up. But you will be fine to add a headunit and wheels. Once you start adding things into the engine bay, wheel wells or the car body, then you open yourself up to the dealerships interpretation of whether or not you have done something that will affect your warranty. I feel that if you talk to the dealership without bringing up the concern about what you have done to the car affecting your warranty status then you will make out fine. But if they start to give you **** and say that this mod or that mod is the problem than I would just tell them thank you for your time and leave to the next dealership. Sometimes you will find dealerships that are just a bunch of dicks and don't care about the customer, then there are other ones that are very accommodating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow you guys rock! Excelllent feedback and thank you for the very warm welcomes too.

The dealership I purchased the Z from has been pretty accomodating so far... we'll just have to see what kinds of prices / options they have for the extended warranty.

Peace...

Knabber

1 - 12 of 12 Posts