Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys,

I need new rear tyres for the Zed.

I have had a price of almost $500 a tyre for replacement of facotry fitted Bridgestone Potenza RE040's rear (245/45R18's)!!!!

They are still OK in the dry but wowful in the wet! :doh:

I use to have Michalin Preceeda on my old R33 GTSt which were great..... Im up for recomendations!

I drive fairly hard on country/alpine roads but mainly everyday driving. Planning on getting into a couple of track days each year from now on too. I am a little price concious but not into penny pinching....

Clint AKA RGS :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got of the phone from Bob Jane Prahran who recommended the Yokohama AVS V550 for $389 a wheel fitted.

I have had Yokohama's before and liked them (A539's on a 95 Celica years ago) quite nice I thought.

See V550's at:
http://www.yokohama.com.au/Tyres/tyre.asp?TyreID=24

The Michelin were $746 each for an equivelent..... forget that.....

Clint

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Clint - Did you say $500 each for RE040's??? They cost about $250 each.

Consider S03's at around $350 each.

I have the 17" wheels so I don't know what rubber is available for the 18" wheel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Clint - Did you say $500 each for RE040's??? They cost about $250 each.

Consider S03's at around $350 each.

I have the 17" wheels so I don't know what rubber is available for the 18" wheel.
I think you may be a bit off in your $250 price for the 245/45 x 18 RE 040's
The $US price from Tirerack is $290 & supprisingly S 03,s are only US$232

About the cheapest 245/45 x 18 that I have found is the Nankang NS2 @ $260
Nankang are made in Tiawan & are a joint venture factory with Yokohama.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i had prices on exact replacements for my track tyres and they were around the 480-500 mark.. luckily i found a place that kept 2nd hand in those sizes for about $60 each with 75-80% tread..

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Go to 'Competition tyres' in Oakleigh and they should give you a good price. Though, I'd recommend the ES100 from their range and you can get the 245/45/18 ones from Competition tyres for $350/tyre. Their number is 9579 1364.

ps. Best price I found for 245/45/18 RE040s was about $420/tyre.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Pete - have you guys driven on the Nankangs?

Most of the Nankang owners I've talked to have been P plater turbo S13 / R32 / R33 driving bench racers. Not exactly opinions I trust when it comes to anything other than how to go really fast in a straight line on a public road...

I do know one person whose opinion I trust running on them. They came with his wheels, and while he says they're not horrible they're also not as the FM901s / ST115s he used to run.

I'd just like a better driver's opinion on them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks David - love the power of the force... ah... I meant the forum!

I spoke to a helpful fella called Jason at Dr Rubber here in Richmond late this arvo (among some other not so helpful people...). He said the following about certain tyres:

1. Yokohama V550's - are pretty good
2. Bridgestone SO3's - are also pretty good but higher wearing

He is recommending to me the following two options:

1. Sumotomo H2Z2 - $350 each fitted & balanced
265/35/R18 - Note the quite WIDER size..... he said it will fit easily and not increase wheel circumfrence. He also said that they have fitted these tyres to a couple Zed's with very happy clients (not sure if that was sales B.S.)

2. Hankook K104 - $320 each fitted & balanced
Silica Based Grip and Wear well
Standard Nissan Track 350Z 245/45R18 size

I like the idea of the wider performance tyre at $350 a pop but he did say the Hankook are exceptionally impressive and better wearing.

Thoughts guys.... :cheers:

I need to make a decision soon as the Sandown track day Im attending is on Wednesday next week.

Clint AKA RGS

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
265/35/R18 - Note the quite WIDER size..... he said it will fit easily and not increase wheel circumfrence.

Is this on OME 18" wheels? Is so, then they will not fit ... 255 is about as wide as you can go on the OME 18" wheels. Also 265/35/18 will change the circumference very much. You need 275/40/18 to have a match for the 245/45/18 in terms of circumference.

2. Hankook K104 - $320 each fitted & balanced

Again, shop about as $280 is a pretty common price for those. If call Competition Tyres then you should be able to get them for $260.

I've heard good things about them as well, but they are not in the same league as the E100s I recommended before. At least that's what I gather as I have not used either.

I need to make a decision soon as the Sandown track day Im attending is on Wednesday next week.

Cool. Who are you going with and have you been there before? We had something like 6 Zeds at Sandown at the start of the month.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again DavidM,

I think I will steer clear of any 'oversize' tyre. I liked the idea though but couldn't see how such an increase would fit on the OEM 18"'s

Will have a chat to Competition Tyres tomorrow morning. I assume the ES100's are Yokohama's right. Do you think these are a pretty high spec tyre for what you pay?

Sandown - can wait. Going on an Events O'Neil day after receiving an invitation from a client of mine. Really looking forward to it!!!! Who did you you go with at the start of the month?

Clint

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I assume the ES100's are Yokohama's right. Do you think these are a pretty high spec tyre for what you pay?

Yes, they are Yokohamas. I'd hope that they are better than S03s,and they are relatively high spec tyre. I'd get them over S03s even if they were the same price ... though, again I have not tried them myself, but have experience with S03s.

Sandown - can wait. Going on an Events O'Neil day after receiving an invitation from a client of mine. Really looking forward to it!!!!

Have you been there before? Either way, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

Who did you you go with at the start of the month?

We went with the Alfa-club ... one of the best runs days out there. Was an awesome day and besides me, Yun, DavidC, Iggy, Daniel and Owen were there. Here's the post track thread:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...opic=10910&st=0

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great DavidM - thanks for all your help too guys.

I'm now bleary eyed after looking at dozens of different tyres but I'm pretty confident to get it sorted out tomorrow!

BTW Sandown - nope haven't been there before. First track day for me.... I'll be taking it nice and easy :) I have a SPARCO sticker on the back glass - just to make my Zed look quick :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
BTW Sandown - nope haven't been there before. First track day for me.... I'll be taking it nice and easy

Cool, enjoy the day and just drive at your own pace. Let us know how you went when you get back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the Yokohama ES100's at Competition Tyres for $350 each. Old Noel was great to deal with!

Hope it doesnt rain on the Wednesday track day now.....

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Got the Yokohama ES100's at Competition Tyres for $350 each. Old Noel was great to deal with!

Good stuff. Keep us posted on how you find them ... in particular once they scub in a little.

Hope it doesnt rain on the Wednesday track day now.

Hopefully the weather will work out for you. Though, I just had a thought .... did you buy the new tyres specificaly to take to the track? If so, how come?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi DavidM

Will do.

I bought the tyres because I needed to replace the OEM Bridgestones. They were stuffed and very bad in the wet. I bought the Yokohama's because I wanted a performance tyre that was street legal for daily driving stuff. I dont do many kms as I have a home based business so mileage is not that important to me. If I get into track days more I might eventually buy some rims with some R spec rubber on them.... That, I fear, will be the begining of an expensive love affair!

Clint

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
How did you go Clint? ... the weather was not bad at all today (except for the wind). Hope someone had a stop watch ;-)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts