Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I found this site from doing a search because I am considering a new 350Z purchase. I want some of you guy's honest opinions about this.

I have had several Z's in the past, a '70 240 (#581), a '73 240, a '76, '77, '78 280Z, a '79 280ZX, a '85 300ZX plus various other model Datsuns and Nissans along the way.

What I liked most about all these cars was the way I could drive the stink out of them and not hurt them at all. I Auto-x'd, did track days, lived in the mountains and drove them hard each and every day. I can't remember any destruction besides brake pads, wheel bearings and tires from all the abuse I gave them. None of my Z's ever developed rattles, squeaks or problems and they could withstand abuse of hand-brake turn arounds, reverse-bootlegs, red-lined daily, etc., etc. Can the new Z's stand up like their siblings could?

I currently have an'03 Mach1 Mustang, that has 13k miles, with lots of suspension work done, (springs, shocks, panhard bar, upper and lower control arms, hard bushings, camber plates, etc) as well as other things for performance and no matter what I have done, this car never gives me the confidence that I had when tossing my Z's around. The most I ever did to my Z's suspension was add Koni's too.

I am looking at a base 350Z as I figure I will doing upgrades as I did to my Mach1, maybe not as many though. With the new Z I feel the Mach may have a little 1/4 mile advantage but without driving a new Z hard to be sure, I do feel even stock, it will give me better road course numbers and be an easier vehicle to control. Any one have experience of driving both and can comment on that?

Also, I guess I am looking for feelings of how happy do you guys think I will be over the current Mach1 that I have, do you think the new Z would fill my needs?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
You will want to hear Bryan's (RUFDRAFT) opinion between it and the MACH 1.

I believe the 350z to be an excellent car for what you enjoy.. short of the 1/4 mile. It handles better than it goes straight.

I teach motorsports and my Z gets a LOT of track time. Close to 200 miles a week during the season. There are times where I will go out for 30-40 laps at a time (1.6 mile course). But my Z is prepped for track use. Better brakes, better suspension, improved cooling efficiency and syn. oil.

The Z gets my :thumbsup:

:welcome: to Tech. I believe you will find your answers by perusing the site and getting to know the members.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
At the suggestion of Illz, I'll chime in here.

I had an '03 Mach I that I bought new from Bill Talley Ford in Richmond, VA.

It's a Mustang. Meaning - it hauled ass - in a straight line. :shiftdrive:

In my opinion, build quality was typical Mustang. Low end materials - high end hp.

No doubt, that engine would pull - all the way up.

Z? Better styling. Better handling. Better build quality. Better resale.

Judges?

Drag racing? Mustang.

Road courses/compliments/babe factor? Z :irock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts