Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who knows if we'll ever see one of these in a future production Z car?
Is Infiniti?s new 400-hp V6 the company?s best to date? | Autoweek

At least it's a purpose built FI engine from the factory and the second version of the VR engine family. But as a longtime VQ lover, there's a few things in the description that give me pause:

-Rather than using an iron block or even cast iron sleeves, the VR30 (like the VR38DETT in the R35) uses a plasma coating in the cylinder linings. Not going to be easily modified or cheap.

-The exhaust manifold is built into the head, so forget about swapping out headers any longer, the factory will control the exhaust side of the equation. Again, complex and expensive is what this engine series will be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks like a typo - should say exhaust manifold?

Yeah - nice engine but hard and expensive to play with outside it's original configuration

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a typo - should say exhaust manifold?

Yeah - nice engine but hard and expensive to play with outside it's original configuration

Thanks- edit made. And you're right- technology in the future is going to put a lot of the performance of a powerplant into the hands of the factory.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to believe there's such a tepid reaction on these boards to new 400 HP Nissan engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hard to believe there's such a tepid reaction on these boards to new 400 HP Nissan engine.
I would have thought more interest as well but believe 400 hp and 360 tq numbers don't equate yo Mustang GT or Camaro SS numbers on paper.

I on the other hand believe a 3.0 V6 TT is a whole new ball game. If power on the the VR is 330 hp in the mid model and 400 hp in the higher model, then power is evidently going to be all in the tuning and not necessarily the parts. Did they not say same engine at 450 hp in a Q80 concept. Not sure on that last point.

PS. dkmura I promise I am not stalking your post

·
Registered
408 Posts
Saw the info on the FI 400 hp engine for the Infinite.

I thought the saw thing. Same company,got it figured out.
Why not drop the 400hp mill in the Z?

Maybe its just brand positioning?

I've seen this done with other makes. It seems that certain brands are earmarked
for a specific audience.
Its just business.
Can Infinite be the cutting edge brand for Nissan?The higher hp to compete with
BMW,Mercedes?
Nissan with trucks,vans,compacts ...more generic.
Our Z ??Maybe moved with the new platform to a lighter balanced sportscar?
And,the GTR is still out there by itself.

The Korean brands are basically doing the same thing. Kia&Hyundai are brother companies.
Hyundai is much like Infinite in positioning. It's Genesis brand is being spun off to compete
with upper end Euro makes. Kia is the "Chevy" of the group.Offering a variety of models
at reasonable prices.

Its exciting that a VQ based engine is getting this makeover. With the specs mentioned,sounds like the
bean counters asked for some costs to be cut for the engine to be profitable.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new VR30TT is going to be expensive. While doubtful it will be hand-built like the VR38VTT in the R35, it's undoubtedly more expensive than the VQ by a factor of two? three? who knows? That's where Infiniti comes in- the market segment the Q60 coupe competes in--RWD/AWD luxury sports coupe--will allow the sort of pricing that has them competing against Audi and BMW. But if Nissan wants clear market differentiation between the next Z and GT-R, it has to keep them well separated. The current Z34 has already developed into a more expensive "everyman's sportscar" than desirable and it's hard to believe Nissan would want a MORE pricey Z in the future.

No, the next Z remains years off and Nissan has already said they are still weighing their options. Maybe the Q60 coupe will be wildly popular and increased production of the VR30TT will result in lower per unit pricing. But it's just as likely sales in that segment remain relatively static and that pricey engine never makes it into a Z.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts