Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Im getting a good deal on the borla true dual TD exhaust but im thinking bout not putting it on yet. Im looking to see about a dual cannister muffler design exhaust. Im wondering is there a way to take off the stock Z muffler and put two new mufflers on. I was thinking that to make it nice and loud id look at two HKS hi power mufflers and test pipes on the stock exhaust. Is there a way to do this? Would the pipes need to be bent? Would the exhaust sound like a fart can? Im curious bc i wanna test this out on the stock b4 i do this to the borla bc if it works ill install the borla TD with the two cannister style mufflers instead of the one dual tip muffler. I just love the look and sound of the dual muffler systems but im getting the borla for dirt cheap so i wanna experiment on the stock first. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hmm, well it will take custom work, so I hope you are good with a torch or know someone who is.

Lets talk stock for a moment. You can easily remove the stock muffler section and leave the stock y-pipe and b-pipe. You would then need to fab a new muffler section. The new section would hookup to the tail of the b-pipe and them split into two pipes. Once pipe would go to each canister. Also, each canister leg would need a exhaust hanger bar. The stock hanger locations for the muffler section are on each side of the car. Since the stock exhaust uses rather standard exhaust flanges, mocking this up should not be too hard. The hardest part would be getting the tips to align right.

Is it worth it? Probably not. The stock exhaust is pretty good, so flow would not be the issue. The issue is weight. The stock exhaust is pretty darn heavy. Why waste all that time and effort if the weight would only be slightly reduced.

I say throw the Borla on there. Mine is great and I love the sound. It is subdued when driving and has a great sound under WOT (keep in mind I have high-flow cats and headers). Plus, it is way lighter than the stock exhaust. If you really wanted to mate canister to the Borla, this could be done too. The Borla does not use exhaust flanges, but instead a slip connection with clamps. Also, the Borla obviously has two pipes at the rear, so you would not need a splitting section. Overall, it should not be too hard.

As for sound, the stock exhaust with test pipes and canisters out back is going to be pretty loud. It could also be a bit raspy. I can say for certain because I have not seen this does before. If you want to limit the raspiness, get test pipes with built in resonators. The Borla with test pipes should be fine, but again I would recommend resonated test pipes.

Personally, I think your best bet is resonated test pipes and the Borla true dual. If you still don't like the sound, consider adding canisters.

By the way, the "look" of it should be the last consideration unless you are building a show car. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by peptidbond@Jul 1 2005, 09:40 AM
Hmm, well it will take custom work, so I hope you are good with a torch or know someone who is.

Lets talk stock for a moment. You can easily remove the stock muffler section and leave the stock y-pipe and b-pipe. You would then need to fab a new muffler section. The new section would hookup to the tail of the b-pipe and them split into two pipes. Once pipe would go to each canister. Also, each canister leg would need a exhaust hanger bar. The stock hanger locations for the muffler section are on each side of the car. Since the stock exhaust uses rather standard exhaust flanges, mocking this up should not be too hard. The hardest part would be getting the tips to align right.

Is it worth it? Probably not. The stock exhaust is pretty good, so flow would not be the issue. The issue is weight. The stock exhaust is pretty darn heavy. Why waste all that time and effort if the weight would only be slightly reduced.

I say throw the Borla on there. Mine is great and I love the sound. It is subdued when driving and has a great sound under WOT (keep in mind I have high-flow cats and headers). Plus, it is way lighter than the stock exhaust. If you really wanted to mate canister to the Borla, this could be done too. The Borla does not use exhaust flanges, but instead a slip connection with clamps. Also, the Borla obviously has two pipes at the rear, so you would not need a splitting section. Overall, it should not be too hard.

As for sound, the stock exhaust with test pipes and canisters out back is going to be pretty loud. It could also be a bit raspy. I can say for certain because I have not seen this does before. If you want to limit the raspiness, get test pipes with built in resonators. The Borla with test pipes should be fine, but again I would recommend resonated test pipes.

Personally, I think your best bet is resonated test pipes and the Borla true dual. If you still don't like the sound, consider adding canisters.

By the way, the "look" of it should be the last consideration unless you are building a show car. Just my $0.02.
[snapback]125227[/snapback]​

thanks for the help peptid. and yes i am getting ready to build a show car. im putting on the borla true dual with borla headers and helix test pipes. as well as a new final drive a new ecu intake maybe some pulleys a veilside version 3 body kit painted engine covers possibly painted dash and maybe some axis seven mods in 19 or 20 with the centers in gloss black. as of now im a fan of no spoiler but i may put on a GT wing in a little bit. im also planning on doing a brake upgrade very soon. so thats why i wanted it to look different bc nothing else on the car will look stock i dont want the exhaust to look stock.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh thats right.

However, promise me that you WILL NOT put on Borla headers. Show car or not, those things are worthless. Maybe try some TopSpeed headers in stainless. They look good and have great performance. The Borlas are just not designed well and could become a bottleneck.

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not sure yet im getting em for free so i may put em on to see how it goes and rip em off and get new ones if they suck. any help from anyone would be appreciated. also since im N/A would i lose horsepower from having such big a** mufflers?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts