Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
:OMG:

Looks like a good plan to me. Wonder how long until they figure out how to put it into mass production.

I can't find any info on Michelin's website at all.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
:wtf:

It just looks weird. Don't think i'm liking that too much.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Hazade@Jul 14 2005, 01:25 PM

[snapback]131835[/snapback]​

The production tires would include the sidewalls

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN+Jul 14 2005, 01:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Hazade
@Jul 14 2005, 01:25 PM

[snapback]131835[/snapback]​

The production tires would include the sidewalls
[snapback]131847[/snapback]​

:doh: Guess I should of realized that. That would be cool then.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the same thing at first, and pictured them as a new mod for Civics (with LEDs inside of course)

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Jul 14 2005, 01:59 PM
I thought the same thing at first, and pictured them as a new mod for Civics (with LEDs inside of course)
[snapback]131867[/snapback]​

:lmfao:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
this is way cool - would not have to deal with TPMS anymore!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks pretty Naff I reckon. Can you imagine the flex in the tyre with some Serious horsepower trying to turn them? Besides that it's hard to see 19" or 20" wheels wrapped in that rubber.

Then again, who knows where it will end up.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Updated April 29, 2005 Michelin has showcased a potentially disruptive technology with significant ramifications for the future for mobility: an airless, integrated tyre and wheel combination dubbed the TWEEL (i.e. Tyre/WhEEL) . The Tweel promises performance levels beyond those possible with conventional pneumatic technology. The first commercial applications of the Tweel will be in lower-speed, lower-weight vehicles such as the iBOT mobility device and Segway's Concept Centaur. Designed by Segway-inventor Dean Kamen, the iBOT mobility device has the ability to climb stairs and navigate uneven terrain, offering mobility freedom impossible with traditional wheelchairs. Additionally, Segway's Concept Centaur, a prototype that applies self-balancing technology to a four-wheel device, has also been equipped with Tweel to increase its performance potential.

Benefits of the Tweel

The heart of Tweel innovation is its deceptively simple looking hub and spoke design that replaces the need for air pressure while delivering performance previously only available from pneumatic tires.

The flexible spokes are fused with a flexible wheel that deforms to absorb shock and rebound with ease. Without the air needed by conventional tires, Tweel still delivers pneumatic-like performance in weight-carrying capacity, ride comfort, and the ability to "envelope" road hazards.

Michelin has also found that it can tune Tweel performances independently of each other, which is a significant change from conventional tires. This means that vertical stiffness (which primarily affects ride comfort) and lateral stiffness (which affects handling and cornering) can both be optimised, pushing the performance envelope in these applications and enabling new performances not possible for current inflated tires.

The Tweel prototype, demonstrated on the Audi A4, is within five percent of the rolling resistance and mass levels of current pneumatic tires. That translates to within one percent of the fuel economy of the OE fitment.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
i think they look pretty cool without sidewalls. only thing iz i def dont think you'll be runnin 19s or 20s on that tech, which makes it sux0r for me.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jul 15 2005, 02:19 PM
merging threads, repost.............
[snapback]132524[/snapback]​

I cdn't see the pix on the original post....now I know I didn't miss anything good.

Just another way to cheapen the manufacturing process -more 'disposable' crap for the landfill.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts