Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought a 35th anniversary 350Z (Yellow) and am trying to like this car. So far I think it is a bit lacking although I hope I can be convinced otherwiise. I really want to love this car but apart from the fact that the dealer stuffed up the window tinting and there is a problem with the passenger window seal I have the following questions:

1. Is it normal for the clutch/gearbox to make a bit more noise than a normal car. I understand that these things are super heavy duty and so probably do sound like it. My tranmission sounds like a bloody truck. Trying to launch from the traffic lights (just moderately) does result in lots of drive train noise. Everything seems to quiten done once you ae out of the low gears.

2. My last car was an Opel Astra SRi Turbo with an ECU upgrade and quite frankly it would most likely beat the 350Z especially on the highway. I find the Z (even at surposedly 221KW/295hp to be a little disappointing in the power department.

I can live with these things if I know they are typical. I have not had the opportunity to drive another Z so as to compare.

·
Registered
598 Posts
if you didnt like it when you bought it , why did you buy it. remember that most dealerships will mess your car up no matter what they do, unless you are super lucky and find a good one, but they seem few and far between. yes the noise is normal, unless its unbearable which i couldnt possibly hear so im assuming its normal. if it concerns you that much, then use your warranty and have it checked out. and lastly, going from turbo to a NA car is very different so keep that in mind.
hope that helps a bit.
mdzowner

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Welcome!! Sorry to hear that you are already having problems.

My trranny is just now sounding like a truck (2004 model w/ 20,700 miles) and I have issues with tires feathering (even though I bought after market tires and rims). Your tint you can redo, as for the tranny I'd call Nissan USA and complain, no sense in you being unhapy with abrand new car.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
If it makes ya feel any better, those things you mentioned (besides the tint issue) are all common. Just part of buying a purpose-built car, and not a car that tries to do everything but does nothing really well.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
its has been said by many reviews that the z is more of a "Raw" sports car and will feel and sound a little less unrefined than say a BMW M3. I am not quite sure what drivetrain noise you are talking about. I am happy with the way mine sounds.

I dont know much about your previous car. But keep in mind the Z has a wide, flat powerband that can sometimes make it feel slower that it really is (you dont get that kick in the butt that a turbo car has).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... I'm feeling better already... I think I will gradually love this car.... just got to get used to it. I don't know what MDZowner is on about... think he misread my post. I loved the look of this car before I bought it and the small test drive I had wasn't enough to expose any small issues that you eventually find. I love what this car represents and it has probably the best v6 engine on the planet. Toykilla, it definitely does not have a flat powerband. Peak torque is at 4800 on mine. I notice that you have to rev to about 5000+ before you start to feel the urge.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
[/quote]
You must have a pretty special Z then because every stock dyno I've ever seen shows a flat power band

·
Registered
598 Posts
i guess i misread the part where you said "im trying to like this car...its lacking..." my apologies. welcome to the boards by the way.
mdzowner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts