Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am the webmaster for NissanTireProblems.com, a website designed to raise awareness about the tire problems with the Nissan 350z. By raising awareness of the 350z tire problems we hope to force Nissan to remedy the situation, and bring
satisfaction to consumers.

An attorney who works with our site has indicated that if there is enough interest from consumers to pursue a class action lawsuit, he would do so, seeking to compel Nissan to acknowledge the problem with an appropriate and effective repair, or compel Nissan to buy back all affected vehicles.

If you have experienced or are currently experiencing problems with tire feathering, tire cupping and/or excessive noise, we would like to hear from you. We are looking for information (including stories or pictures) from consumers for possible inclusion on the website. By sharing the experiences that you've had with the Nissan 350z tires, you will assist us in helping the 1000's of consumers who are suffering from problems exactly like yours. Please take some time and share your story with us.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I did not experience any significant tire feathering or cupping with the first set of stock Bridgestone Potenza RE040 18" tires on my Track model. However, the rear tires wore out at 14,000 miles.

I would join a class action. Here is some general information about class action lawsuits -- I do not practice in that area, so I got all this infomation when I was in law school:

The first lawyer to land the class as a client and get his employment approved by the court as plaintiffs' counsel "owns" the class. It is very helpful to the class if the defendant (Nissan) can work with plaintiffs' counsel to negotiate a deal. Therefore, plaintiffs' counsel might approach the defendant and try to pre-negotiate a deal that is not so favorable to plaintiffs, to get "in" with the defendant. You need to watch out for this. We want a litigator who is tough as nails.

Class actions tend to be good for everyone except the plaintiffs. Courts like them because it saves lots of court time trying thousands of cases at once. Defendants like them becuase they only have to defend one case rather than thousands, and because the total damages award will likely be less than what it would be in thousands of individual lawsuits. Plaintiffs' counsel loves them because the fees are huge.

It takes a lot of time and money to prosecute a class action. Presumably, plaintiffs' counsel will work on a contingency fee, so that the class members will not be out of pocket for any legal fees no matter how the case comes out.

It is highly unlikely a case like this would ever go to trial. Nissan would settle it, probably fairly cheaply.

One other thing to think about is what are our damages? How much do you think a court will compensate you for noisy feathered tires? About two cents, I think. If the tire problem caused accidents and people were hurt or killed, that would be different (like the Firestone case).

If you haven't already figured it out, I'm saying don't waste your time. But if you do, I would join you, just for the fun of it. But then, litigation is what I do all day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts