Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Well, you want to start off by bringing up the rpms to around 3000 and dropping the clutch making sure not to spin the tires. If you are running street drag radials then you won't have to worry about spinning the tires. This will be enough for you to take off with a good launch while still keeping your stock rear axles from snapping. Then after working on launching like this, start raising your rpms up higher to until you are satisfied that you have your launch perfected.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you are still running the stock sucky tires...then i would have to say you will need to feather the clutch out like crazy to avoid just smoking the tires. Its all gonna depend on what you are running on the car for tires. If you are running a wide sticky compound tire...then you can launch the car pretty well and hope nothing breaks. Like ZXrage said...i start about 2800 to 3000...you just gotta kinda practice and get a feel for it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info!! Im using 19 inch volk racing t37 wrapped with proxyes t1s Maybe I could launch around 3000 rpm I'll go out to practice....Just wondering if you guyz have turbo too?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Close to the topic, but I've been thinking about driving techniques for a turbo setup. Is there any special tricks or signs to watch for? I know the turbos tend to make the engine run hot, hence the timer to cool it down. But what about everyday driving?

Does the driver get to mash the pedal in every gear to max out power? Or do you have to learn how to gradually apply the gas and learn to shift optimally?

How does the turbo setup react to spirited driving? When I am in the mood, I like to get close to redline in each gear and accelerate as fast as possible in my NA setup. Would I do the same in a turbo Z?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Full throttle in every gear.... woohoo :irock:

Also, on the subject of launching. You may want to experiment with tire pressures. A lot of guys that drag run lower pressures on the rear tires to grab a little better. Might be something worth playing around with. Not recommended for extended use because it will wear the tires in an unfavorable manor.

Toodles :wavey:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Close to the topic, but I've been thinking about driving techniques for a turbo setup. Is there any special tricks or signs to watch for? I know the turbos tend to make the engine run hot, hence the timer to cool it down. But what about everyday driving?

Does the driver get to mash the pedal in every gear to max out power? Or do you have to learn how to gradually apply the gas and learn to shift optimally?

How does the turbo setup react to spirited driving? When I am in the mood, I like to get close to redline in each gear and accelerate as fast as possible in my NA setup. Would I do the same in a turbo Z?

The turbo timer is for the turbo(s) to cool down. Not the motor.

You can mash the pedal if you want. You can gradually apply the power as well. It's really not that different except you have boost now.

You can still redline each gear. You will just be traveling much faster. So, yes. You would be doing the same as a n/a Z would.

About the only thing different is the power delivery. And you don't really have to shift all the time for power.. Just push the right pedal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts