Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to connect a HP scanner the other day and d/l the latest driver from their site. As I was waiting for the d/l, I heard something from the back of the scanner that actually sounded like a small harddrive spinning (I know that sounds cooky, but it sounded like that).

Anyway, the light under the scanner glass went off and I smelled that nasty burnt odor. Now I used a power cord for a printer, but the female jack fit the male slot in the back of the scanner. I didn't think that was a big deal, but now it might be.

What do you think? I ended up finding the proper power cord in my box of computer supplies. When I try to scan, the scanner makes a grinding noise, which is probably the gears trying to send the scanning element down the rail. Still no light, but at least I know it's getting power and trying to work.

I took out the circuit board and looked at it closely. Nothing unusual, i.e. black spots or melted resistors or anything.

Any ideas or suggestions? I want to salvage this instead of going out to buy another one. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Is the power chord just a chord or does it have big black box (power converter) attached to it? If there is a power converter on the chord, look for how many mA (milliamps) and V (volts) are being output on both chords. THis information should be located on the front panel of the adapter. Sometimes, two adapters with different power outputs will have the same size connector. If the one from your printer has higher mA or V, you prob fried the scanner's mainboard. It's possible to do that and still get power to some parts of the device. Also, there may be a fuse or breaker on the mainboard around where the power comes in. Check that to make sure it's not blown/tripped.

the grinding noise could be a couple of things (most of them bad) but one thing you should check is if there is a scanner lock switch located usually toward the box of the scanner. had that on one of mine once and i couldn't figure out why i was getting the grinding and errors and no scan. so i flipped through the manual, and thats where i found the part on the lock.

Most likely scenario is not pretty, given you smelled smoke. You will, more than likely, have to have it replaced. Hope you still have the warranty.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the first power cord did not have the box, unlike the second one I found that was the real cord (I think). There is a locking panel in the back where the power cord is supposed to go. I moved it but I thought I moved it all the way back. I'll try it again. There is a fuse on the board, but it didn't look burnt or blown. I disconnected 3 connections off the board, one of which was the wide, flat ribbon cable to see if anything happened to it. Scanners aren't that much, and mine is several years old (no warranty left). I figured in this wondrous age of tech, I could just keep using it with updated drivers. Thanks for the info, Ched.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Since the chord from you printer didn't have an adapter and the one from your scanner did, I'd give a 90% chance that printer is toast. Go spend 50 bucks and buy a new one. Or spend $150 and get a printer/scanner combo and consolidate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts