Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 GT roadster has needed a new top for a couple of years. It spends most of it's time in the garage and, I retired in 2018 so it hasn't prime on my "todo" list.

A couple of years back, the famous (or infamous) Zcar Garage mentioned "nearly $2,000" from their referral store for a first class top and job. That's more than twice as much as what many local auto upholstery shops have mentioned. But, I am unfamiliar with these local shops have great faith in what Z Car Garage recommends. It isn't that I won't pay top $ for first rate work and quality materials but, there was always something more pressing that I needed the $2 grand for so I just made do. So, I've been "pondering" what I was going to do for a long time.

Well, with the Coronavirus going on and, my having watched a few Youtube videos showing top replacement, combined with my own automotive experience, I'm thinking I'll give her a shot myself. It isn't like I can't have the car down for a week or two during this SIP situation. When working on my cars, I like to go slow, take my time and anticipate problems in advance. I am now in the perfect place to do so.

What I'd like to know, and can't find any references here on the forum is, what is a quality brand top and where do I procure it? There are hundreds on the internet but, dealing with AMZN and Ebay I've ended up with plenty of low cost, Chinese made junk over the years (umbrella covers, things like that.). I don't want a top like that.

I would like a first rate, durable material. German made cloth tops have been recommended as the best but I've never been able to identify a specific make for supplier for these. I also want a glass rear window with defogger. And mostly, I want it to look just like the OEM as far as shape and fitment.

If this topic has been covered here, just point me in the right place because I can't find with using the search engine.

Otherwise, any experience and/or suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Too bad you don't live near Denver, CO, as I have a mint ZR top for sale for $800. Frame comes with it, but installation is up to the customer. Check your local CL and salvage yards to see if you can get a similar deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try Topsonline.com. They have several installer shops in California.
Thanks. But, finding a supplier to purchase a new trop from isn't difficult. It's figuring which of the brands/models is the best one that is. I was/am seeking recommendations

Is the Hartz Stayfast Cloth really "better" than the supposedly OEM, Haartz Twillweave Vinyl?

Are any of the kits offered something to stay away from due to quality issues, lack of necessary parts ("rubber bands", tension cables, etc.)?

Do any of them have rear window issues like the OEMs did? That's where my tear problems began!

What I'm trying to do is make sure I get something quality, with all the necessary pieces that will look very original after installation.

Truthfully, I've never seen a Z convertible that looked like it had a misfit, aftermarket top on it. But I sure have with other makes of vehicles. You can spot the misfitting top from a mile away because it "looks funny". Often bulging where the OEM didn't or, flapping in the wind, etc.

I have to say, the OEM top had a great fit and finish. It just didn't hold up all that long. And, I didn't operate it all that much. But, I ended up driving the Z to work for three or four years and there it was parked out in the hot, Central Valley sun all day in the summer.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
You sound more up on what you're looking for than I. Protection and care on the next one sounds like a priority for you. I've had mine for 15 years without issue but I clean and treat it here in the Midwest. However, sun not a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts