Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas?

I have about 40,000 on the clock and reckon I warped the rotors at around the 35k mark. Started to get vibrations in the steering wheel when braking at speeds over 80 kph.

I tested the discs with a runout gauge before machining and sure enough they were warped.

After the machining the vibration went away but I also noticed that I have quite a few hot spots which are located about an inch from the outside and are inline with every internal rib that holds the 2 discs faces together. Either way after the machining the min thickness has been reached.

So I need some new front discs. I looked at the DBA 5000 and DBA 4000 series. The 5000 are a 2 piece about $500 each and the 4000 single piece are about $330 each.

Any suggestions on a disc? or who makes them for a Z

Michael

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeah i was going to say DBA

they're good enough for Stillen to buy and rebadge

which are the mode line with the gold hats and cross drilled?

its also wise to replace pads with discs, because if ur pads have an uneven wear surface, theyll most likely do the same to the new discs

·
Registered
562 Posts
He already has brembos so it BBK would be a waste.

You might also want to consider StopTech 2 piece rotors for fronts and rears, the fronts are US$555 for 2 rotors and rears are US$685 at hopup racing, I've no idea how much shipping would be here. The stoptech price looks quiet compeling when you compare them to the DBA fronts, the rears are a lot mroe expensive since they are 2 piece. Also the extra expense of 2 peice rotors will eventually pay off when you replace them 2-3 times.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by Nuff@Jul 29 2005, 07:19 PM
He already has brembos so it BBK would be a waste.

Shush, you.

Mr Rizk - go for a full big brake it. Bigger rotors, bigger calipers....even with your force-fed hammering they should handle it for longer without fade and warp.

And when you put your Brembos up for sale, drop me a line ;)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'm running DBA Slotted on the front of my car. They were cheaper than the OEM discs, but not sure of their life.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We ran the DBA 4000's at the 24hr race at Bathurst in 02 & had absolultly no trouble with them.
They run cooler than the OE rotor.
There were some photos on the net a few years back of the Z with glowing red discs at the mountain.
After the 1st 24hr race they went back to DBA for research but the had very little wear on them & no warping.
I have some 4000's non slotted for sale brand new for $250.00 each.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I looked at the stoptech's which look like a nice setup. My only concern is when you buy a 2 piece from overseas and then you need to replace the disc only the costs involved in shipping are huge.

I'm currently still investigating so will let you guys know when I have decided.

PS: BBK would be nice but some lighter wheels would be more worth while for me. Scathing a set of brembos were up for sale off a Z in OZ somewhere as a mate of mine was asking how much I thought they were worth.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Michael,

My 14" StopTech kit is here now, i'll get a camera and take some shots tomorrow. And if you want to check them out at some stage just let me know.

FYI just getting the rotors shipped over would be alot cheaper than the whole kit. You could get all four rotors in one box, where as you need 4 of those boxes for the whole kit. So shipping replacment rotors would be about 1/4 of the price for shipping the whole kit.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Murray - were you running Brembos? :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI - 2 x Endless front 2 piece rotors slotted AU$1600 from centrax. I think I will pass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts