Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input on what subs I need to get for the box I recently purchased. I bought the dual 10" Zenclosure box with the amp rack, and I need some help picking a sub for this box. I am really looking for a LOUD setup. Sound quality is important, but not so much as SPL. Also, maybe some suggestions on a matching amp to go along with the subs. My budget for the subs and amp is from $400 to $500. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I need some input on what subs I need to get for the box I recently purchased. I bought the dual 10" Zenclosure box with the amp rack, and I need some help picking a sub for this box. I am really looking for a LOUD setup. Sound quality is important, but not so much as SPL. Also, maybe some suggestions on a matching amp to go along with the subs. My budget for the subs and amp is from $400 to $500. Thanks in advance.
4-500 total or for each?

so ur looking for the loudest u can get? do u have any amp running ur speakers? all u need to do is look at the total volume and find what is ideal for that and then look at the amps that have the same or higher watts rms as the subs

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Alpine Type Rs :)
Also look into Fi SSD. ficaraudio.com is a fairly new online subwoofer company that has heavy reviews, everyone loves them. Also Diamond D6, D9, MTX 8500, Kicker CVX, Soundsplinter RL-i. The best amp would be along the lines of an Elemental Designs Nine.1

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, $400-$500 for the amp and two subwoofers. I have looked at the ED Nine.1, but it is only rated at 450 RMS at 4 ohms. I will be sure and look at that new company. What do you think of these subs though in the 10" version- DUB AUDIO I owned the lower end version of these subs and they were ok, but don't know whether I would put them in my Z.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
No, $400-$500 for the amp and two subwoofers. I have looked at the ED Nine.1, but it is only rated at 450 RMS at 4 ohms. I will be sure and look at that new company. What do you think of these subs though in the 10" version- DUB AUDIO I owned the lower end version of these subs and they were ok, but don't know whether I would put them in my Z.
I would say the Z def deserves something better than Audiobahns -- Audiobahns are mostly for looks :(
If you are buying 2 10" woofers, it would be best to buy 2 Dual 4 ohm woofers and wire them to 1 ohm so the Nine.1 would be putting out 1200+ (because it is underrated). At worst you could hook up 2 single 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm subs to 2 ohms but wiring them to 4 ohms would be wasteful.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Uh oh. Are you one of those people that wants other people to hear what you're listening to better than yourself? Volume over quality? :rolleyes:

I have a single 10" Type-R and I have my amp tuned ALL the way down. When I fiddle with that thing it booms. Two of those badboys should do the job and turn heads.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Uh oh. Are you one of those people that wants other people to hear what you're listening to better than yourself? Volume over quality? :rolleyes:

I have a single 10" Type-R and I have my amp tuned ALL the way down. When I fiddle with that thing it booms. Two of those badboys should do the job and turn heads.
What is "Are you one of those people that wants other people to hear what you're listening to better than yourself? Volume over quality?" even referring to?

·
4,328 Posts
What is "Are you one of those people that wants other people to hear what you're listening to better than yourself? Volume over quality?" even referring to?
Umm... I think he was addressing the original poster. Based on the fact that the OP stated that he wanted it LOUD, and that loudness was more important than quality.

Ronin Z

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think it was Crutchfield who had the Infiniti Perfect 10's and 12's for like 150 a piece. They are a clear sub, that can be pushed to a decent level. Loud distorts sound quality generally. But these would look nice, and they are easy to get ahold of. For a decent cheaper amp, some of the 600W Kenwoods are hard to beat for their price-point and if you keep them in their intended use. I ran a 12W6, with a Kenwood 600X2 bridged for years, with an awesome sound. Just look around for the best deals.

~DDFZ :cheers:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been out of pocket today and not been able to check my post. Volume is important, but I also want sound quality. Might be hard to get these two to work together though. I don't really care who hears it, I just like it loud for my own personal listening. I love bass, and to me it makes the music listening experience enjoyable. I am going to look into these Infinity's. and maybe the Type R's. Thanks for the replies everybody.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It isn't hard to make the subs work "together" if they are running from the same amp, or even separate amps. For sound quality and price, those Infiniti's are perfect (no pun intended)

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have been out of pocket today and not been able to check my post. Volume is important, but I also want sound quality. Might be hard to get these two to work together though. I don't really care who hears it, I just like it loud for my own personal listening. I love bass, and to me it makes the music listening experience enjoyable. I am going to look into these Infinity's. and maybe the Type R's. Thanks for the replies everybody.
well as stated getting them to work together? hard? not at all unless they are on different HU's :dunno:

and u do know how loud these can get right? a single 8 can give precise and a single 10 can rattle ur car if adjusted properly

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if we are on the same page with this "getting them to work together." I feel that some may be confused as to what I meant, but maybe you didn't. What I mean by getting to work together being difficult is having SQ and SPL being tied all into one system. Kinda like having your cake and getting to eat it to. Both SQ and SPL are pretty important to me, but SPL might take the cake. I have found two used amps on caraudio.com. One is a Orion 1200D for $220 shipped, and the other is a Kicker kx1200.1 for like $230 shipped. Also came across a Soundstream ega1200.1, or at least I think that is the model number, for $170 shipped. All of these are mono class d amps and are rated with their rms power at around 1200x1 at 1 ohm. Any feedback on which amp might prove to be the best? Or should I keep looking for an ED Nine.1?

·
Registered
396 Posts
you need to decide on what sub your going with before you purchase an amp. You need to get an amp that will fit the power billet of your sub. I am running 2 12W7's with 2 81000D MTX D class amps. Mine are rated at 1300W RMS and my sub requires a min of 800. You don't need that much for the Infiniti's, you will just end up folding them, and that would make your purchase pointless and useless. Decide on what sub your going to buy, then find an amp to fit it.

As for making them work together, you will sacrifice one way or an other at any given moment for your desires. What your truely looking for is a system that can sound perfect when your in a listening mood, and a system that you can let your neighbors know your on the way home a few blocks away when needed. At the times your going for DB's, your sound quality will go down. There really isn't a way to get around this, due to your mid's and high's having limits, along with a cabin size limit. I personally am a huge fan of JL, I have been running them for almost 10 years. But they aren't really in your price point ATM, so you go with what is next best.

So in all, chose a sub that fits your needs, then go find an amp to match it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I've done a little shopping on eBay, and found some 10" JL W3V2's for a reasonable price. Any idea on the sound of these subs? And would it be worth it to upgrade to the new 10" JL W3V3's? The RMS rating on the W3V3 is a little higher, but don't know whether it would be worth the extra $80. I am also strongly leaning toward 2 10" Alpine Type R's. They seem to be really good subs for the price (2 of them new on eBay for $240 shipped) and handle alot of power. Any response though to which might be the best for my application?

·
Registered
202 Posts
i had two infiniti kappa perfect 12" in an isuzu rodeo with a 2000w amp. I had a really small box and they were perfect. They hit pretty hard and were loud. I paid 350 for the two off ebay a few years ago. Definitley a good choice for the price.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, I've done a little shopping on eBay, and found some 10" JL W3V2's for a reasonable price. Any idea on the sound of these subs? And would it be worth it to upgrade to the new 10" JL W3V3's? The RMS rating on the W3V3 is a little higher, but don't know whether it would be worth the extra $80. I am also strongly leaning toward 2 10" Alpine Type R's. They seem to be really good subs for the price (2 of them new on eBay for $240 shipped) and handle alot of power. Any response though to which might be the best for my application?
I have two 10" JL's mounted in a sealed box and it is super loud. The cool thing with a hatchback is that it basically turns the whole back of your car into a sub box. You can hear it for miles.

Make sure you upgrade all of your other speakers and put them on a crossover so the whole thing sounds good. You don't want to be that guy that you can hear bass for blocks but never hear the music. It's annoying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts