Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on installing rear rotors but I'm having a tough time removing the bolts that hold the torque member on. The manual says that the bolts are torqued to 71 - 96 ft lbs, so I am thinking of purchasing a compressor and some air tools. I am just wondering if this would help me get these off, or if spending the money would be a waste.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I used a big wrench and a heavy rubber hammer to break the bolts loose. Make sure you are turning the the right direction

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a compressor and impact wrench and find it really nice to have around. But a 16 in-24 in breaker bar will be just as effective to remove stubborn bolts. You can pick them up at Sears or Harbor Freight. If you go the Impact wrench route, get one that has double-hammer feature and at least 400 ft lb torque. The Ingersol Rand 231c works well for me (aobut $77 on ebay).

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
They are a bitch to break loose, but they will come off. You should try and use some WD-40 and a large wrench to get the leverage. I was able to do mine by hand. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used some penetrating spray and an 18" breaker bar but I just can't enough leverage on it to budge it. If I get an impact can you use it to put them back on as well, or do I have to use a torque wrench?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
You can't overtorque when loosening, but you can when tightening. Always tighten to torque specs when available. You can loosen however method you like.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I got those bolts off with a breaker bar. Not easy but doable.

FYI, you need to learn to read the torque specs. In the drawing you posted, those bolts are torqued to 55-71 FT-LBs. FT LBs are the second specs in the parentheses.

I think I see why people are breaking intakes........ :werd:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got those bolts off with a breaker bar. Not easy but doable.

FYI, you need to learn to read the torque specs. In the drawing you posted, those bolts are torqued to 55-71 FT-LBs. FT LBs are the second specs in the parentheses.
I think I see why people are breaking intakes........ :werd:
thanks, that's the first time (hopefully) that I've read those wrong.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You're welcome. The specks are confusing. I usually print copies of the pages I'm working on and highlight the ft-lb. specs with a marker so I don't have a ........BRAIN FART!!!! .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts